How to cook fish

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I got a pile of frozen walleye and steelhead fillets from my cousin. I really don't know much about cooking and even less about cooking fish. Any ideas besides covering in crumbs and frying? I looked on the net and I just can't evaluate how the various recipes would taste, so I am interested in how people like their firsh.

I always bake it (salmon and halibut, fillets and steaks). Easier to get it done perfectly, never overdone.

My friend always barbeques it, after a spice rub or marinating. Very tasty, but easier to overcook.

Any recipe for salmon will be suitable for steelhead trout. We like ours oven broiled with a light sauce over it. We try a variety of different sauces. If you haven't already looked, try epicurious.com for recipes. The recipes are graded one to four forks and people post comments. Reading the comments of others who have tried the recipes there also should help you determine whether it is something you want to try.

I believe the fish fillets you are referring to are on the thin side? If so I would put a splash of white wine on them, maybe some lemon juice, a dab of butter or margarine, a sprinkling of some herbs and bake in a 375 degree oven for twenty minutes or a half an hour or so or until done(flakes easily and cooked in the thickest part). You could also wrap fillets in foil and bake to keep the juices in. I think this would be the easiest thing to do with them and foolproof, too.

The walleye are in thin fillets, the steelhead much thicker. I had baked walleye for lunch. It was fine but boring. I'd like some kind of gooey, tasty sauce. I am going through Gumby's link.

Yes, Epicurious.com is a great website. I think Cook's also has a website. I love their magazine. I don't know much about sauces, but I think you could put something like a barbecue sauce or a dollop of salsa on the fillets. I have a grill pan for my gas stove for cooking thicker pieces of fish. I brush it with olive oil and flip when I see grill marks. If I cut it open and it is not quite done enough(for my tastes) in the thickest part, I zap it in the microwave for a minute or two. I will eat tuna fillets a little pink in the middle but not anything else. Our fish here in PA(from the stores) leaves something to be desired from a freshness standpoint IMO. If your fish was caught and frozen right away it is likely of a superior quality.

One of the things I love to do with fish is make soup. I usually use the imitation crabmeat (pollock flavored with crab juices), but any sweet white fish will work. Ask your cousin how strongly flavored the fish you received is. Fish must be completely boneless for using in soup.

You'll need very large bowls for serving this soup. Try the dollar store for oversized soup bowls.

Oriental fish soup

Veggies: Slice 1 stalk of celery into 1/4" pieces on a slant. Slice 10 baby or 2 medium whole peeled carrots into 1/2" pieces. Chop 1 small sweet white or yellow onion into rings, then slice into small pieces, OR use 2 fresh scallions if you like a milder onion flavor. Use both types if you love onion.
Fish: Slice fish into 1/2" pieces. Feel for bones and pull out with fingers.
Put raw vegetables and fish into a crockpot. Add 2 medium cans chicken broth plus enough water to cover.
Seasonings: Add a splash (1/4 tsp) of soy sauce. Grind in fresh pepper to taste. Do not add salt. :nonono: Add a little ground hot red pepper flakes if you like a bit of zing :mad: to your soup.
Cook slowly: Turn crockpot to medium setting and cook for 3 hours.
Add 1-2 small cans of drained shiitake :D or button mushrooms. Cook for another 40 minutes.
Serving options:
1. Precook white rice and allow to cool in frig for several hours before dinner. Place 1/2 cup of rice in deep bowl and ladle soup over it. OR
2. Add broken up cellophane or "vermicelli" size Oriental rice noodles (not ramen) to the hot soup. Do not stir for 5 minutes. Stir gently and test for softness, but do not let them get mushy. Timing is critical.

Serve in huge bowls with crispy rice noodles (out of a can) on top.

I love your Oriental fish soup recipe, Freebird. In today's local online paper I saw a recipe for Nantucket Fish Chowder that I sent to my computer at work so I can print a copy tomorrow(I don't have a printer at home). It was a great recipe for using thick chunks of white fish coupled with clams, potatoes and carrots, celery and onions using some smoked ham as a base and also some heavy cream(I will use whole milk). I will likely buy canned clams in clam juice or substitute raw, wild Gulf shrimp as I am not confident about my skills in properly preparing fresh clams in the shell. Heck, if I do all this I will have to invite some co-workers to share it with me but there are always downsides to this....one doesn't eat seafood, one is lactose intolerant, one is allergic to everything under the sun. On second thought, I will cut the recipe in half and eat it alone over several days.

When cooking fish I rely very heavily on this book by Mark Bittman. Interestingly, he doesn't mention Walleye in spite of it being the most popular (and best tasting) of all the freshwater fish.

I no longer eat much fish other than Pacific Salmon because of the health risks. I cook filet of Salmon by placing it in a very hot (smoking) pan, skin side down, for two or three minutes and then placing in the oven about four inches under the Broiler for another three minutes or so (until "done") I season with Wasabi mixed with Mayonaisse.

This is, btw, the same method I use with (quality -- t-Bone, New York, etc.) beef steaks except that the pan is one of those ribbed kind. I turn it once before putting under the broiler after turning (90º) and then turn it over once more to finish. (This gives it that cross-hatched appearance.) Yum! As good as from the Grill.

Anyway, recipes:

Walleye:
Let me google that for you

Steelhead (Freshwater Salmon):
Let me google that for you

I would be tempted to blacken the steelhead. Get some cajun spices (I like dealing with Penzey's but any will do). Generously shake over the fish, drizzle with peanut oil, and then heat a dry cast iron skillet until it is very hot. Drop the fish on the skillet spice side down and it will be done in a few minutes. Best to do this somewhere well ventated or even outside.

I would second the idea of soup for the walleye. Should make a lovely chowder.

I mostly cook salmon when I cook fish. I like teriyaki salmon, I either bake the salmon in teriyaki sauce or pan fry it in the sauce. I sometimes use lemon pepper or cajun seasoning. I either pan fry with a little butter, bake or use a contact grill (George Foreman type) for my fish.

Unless the filets are suitable for the grill as with Mahi Mahi or Salmon we do all our fillets such as walleye, tilapia, and many others in the Microwave with a variety of spices and usually white wine. Lemon pepper mix works well. We prefer the mw oven vs. baking in the oven as we can carefully control it in small bursts of power and find it comes out very nice. Again, we never fry fish anymore and sometimes grill it but more often than not improvise with spices and the MW Oven.

As mentioned by previous members in this post, I LOVE Mark Bittman's articles in the NYTs. Particularly relished one he posted in the last few months showing his teeny-tiny very basic NYC apartment kitchen. It just goes to show that you don't need big and fancy schmancy. You just have to roll up your sleeves and have a desire to turn out something worthwhile. Cooking really is a labor of love, for friends, family or for yourself. Also Penzey's has the BEST spices. We have a Penzey's here in Pittsburgh in the Strip District(wholesale/retail food center near downtown), and it is always a destination for me when I go food shopping in the Strip. They also do online sales natch.

Thanks, lots of good ideas here. I like the idea of walleye chowder but I might have to skip the potatoes. And the wasabi salmon sounds wonderful. When I have salmon around again I'll try that.

Thanks, lots of good ideas here. I like the idea of walleye chowder but I might have to skip the potatoes. And the wasabi salmon sounds wonderful. When I have salmon around again I'll try that.

Yeah. the soup is on my "gotta try" list also.

Be sure to use "Wasabi in the Tube" and start about 50/50 Mayo and increase the Wasabi until you find your own personal "take your breath away" effect.

Yeah. the soup is on my "gotta try" list also.

Be sure to use "Wasabi in the Tube" and start about 50/50 Mayo and increase the Wasabi until you find your own personal "take your breath away" effect.

Eh, I probably will end up using horseradish because I grow it.

Eh, I probably will end up using horseradish because I grow it.

Not the same at all... but I am enthusiatically in favor of your approach anyway. We, too, have waaay too much Horseradish growing-in our garden -- whats the definition of a weed? All that w*rk in preparation, however, is a little off-putting -- "Wasabi in a Tube" is so much more fitting with my lifestyle.

My favorite way to cook fish:

place the filet on a square of aluminum foil. Add a touch of butter or olive oil, white whine, lemon juice, shallots, pepper, herbs, and julienned vegetables. Fold the aluminum foil to form a loose pouch around the fish and crimp the edges so that the pouch is tightly sealed. Cook in the oven at 375F for 20 minutes or so. It is my fool-proof way to cook fish. The savor of the fish is preserved and the fish remains very moist.

Unless the filets are suitable for the grill as with Mahi Mahi or Salmon we do all our fillets such as walleye, tilapia, and many others in the Microwave with a variety of spices and usually white wine. Lemon pepper mix works well. We prefer the mw oven vs. baking in the oven as we can carefully control it in small bursts of power and find it comes out very nice. Again, we never fry fish anymore and sometimes grill it but more often than not improvise with spices and the MW Oven.

About the only fish I ever cook are salmon and tilapia, both of which work very well in the microwave. I put the fillet in a Corning ware dish or equivalent, sprinkle seasonings on, put the lid on to keep the steam in, and nuke for a minute. If it's thin, it will be done; if it's thick it will probably be close enough that I can make a good estimate of how much longer to cook it.

I've never had walleye but if it's a mild flavored white-fish, perhaps my favorite tilapia seasoning (lemon juice + chopped fresh or dried onion under the filet and chopped fresh parsley on top) would be tasty on walleye too. I usually just put a bit of seasoned salt on salmon before cooking it. My dad does something a somewhat more elaborate with salmon—coated with breadcrumbs, a bit of dill weed, then oven-baked. I believe I've steelhead done the same way, and it was quite tasty. My dad usually cuts the fish in steaks rather than fillets but I don't see why that would make any difference.

Bon appetit!

Hey - did you miss my whole thread on plank grilling?
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/woo-hoo-hoo-grilling-with-planks-45985.html

Walleye - pan fry with or without crumbs. A light dusting of seasoned flour with do just as well. And you can then make various "pan sauces" to top it with. Check out this book Martha - might be just the one for you. It's got great fish suggestions among a bunch of other things. The recipes can get a little rich, but are easily modified Amazon.com: How to Cook Without a Book: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart

Finally - I get exotic with fish. My all time favorite is Red Snapper Veracruz - the Veracruz sauce can be made ahead, freezes well, and used as a topping for grilled or pan-fried fish or you can bake fish in it. More for white fish - not trout or salmon. This is more for the advanced cook. I've adapted from this Martha Stewart recipe Red Snapper Veracruz Style on marthastewart.com

And I also love doing baked fish in parchment which works just fine with foil. This is actually super easy, but be careful not to overcook the fish, so it can take a little experimenting to get it just right. Here is an example http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/recipes/recipe_search.asp?Step=ShowRecipe&RecipeID=92 Try the shorter time first - of course it depends on the thickness. Search on foil packet recipes for more ideas.

Audrey

I second Penzey's--I have just fallen in love with their Northwoods Seasoning spice blend. It tastes good and also looks very appetizing, with a reddish brown color. We threw it on salmon last week, and on chicken over the weekend.

...a traditional mix that is a perfect seasoning for family-style fried or baked chicken and fish, green salads with oil and vinegar, egg and potato salad, and Door County-style fish boils. Use heavily, 1 tsp. per pound, for meats and vegetables. Hand-mixed from: coarse flake salt, paprika, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, garlic and chipotle.

....Also Penzey's has the BEST spices. We have a Penzey's here in Pittsburgh in the Strip District(wholesale/retail food center near downtown), and it is always a destination for me when I go food shopping in the Strip. They also do online sales natch.

Martha,

This is super easy, fast, and tasty.

Get the bottle of 21 Seasoning Blend from Trader Joe's.
Wash fish, dry with paper towel, and salt the fish. Then sprinkle the 21 Seasoning Blend generously. You can steam the fish with a little white wine or you can grill the fish in the pan with some butter.

The 21 Seasoning Blend from TJ's is the best of the best IMHO. I use it for just about everything now.

Maybe I will do FireDreamer's recipe (foil with julianne veggies) with 21 Seasoning Blend next time.

Back
Top Bottom