Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to cook Fried Rice
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

How to cook Fried Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks all... Am planning an hour of utube, and will have to get a few dry spices and liquid spices.
The one thing that I think I now understand, is...
Cooking the rice. Yup... I know I'm dumb, but nowhere could I find anything about soaking and then boiling the rice (cookin)... and nothing that said how long to cook the rice.
.... drain? wash? keep it somewhat wet, or spread it out and let it dry? use cooked packaged rice? .... and the amount... what I tried first was 3 cups, and it overflowed the biggest fry pan I own.
Or... as some sources seem to say, just cook the rice in a few tablespoon of oil? I thought this would harden the kernels.
...What if I want to prepare it for 6?... Dumb question, but can I sear in a regular large pot?

y'all are right... back to UTube... before i create some new incredible inedible delicacy.

Get an Instant Pot. Cooking rice is easy in Instant Pot. They go on sale very frequently. You can use it for many other recipes.

Cleaning rice: Rice you get now does not have so many impurities. Just rinse once or twice depending on how it looks. More you wash and rinse, more nutrients you will lose.

You can cook rice in a regular pot. But you will have to learn and adjust the water quantity or ratio and time. :-)

YouTube should have plenty of Instant Pot videos too.
tapahelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a rice cooker and I almost always use jasmine rice. When I do a Chinese stir fry, I always make more rice than needed so we can have fried rice the next day. I don't use egg or sugar. Just whatever vegetables happen to be in the fridge. Typically some combination of onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, green onion, celery, bok choy, carrot, broccoli, cilantro, etc. I always add a little sesame oil to the soy sauce and sometimes a touch of hoisin or oyster sauce. If we happen to have some leftover cooked meat, that gets chopped and added as well. We like chicken best, but often it's just vegetables.

I get some oil very hot in a large non-stick pan and add vegetables in whatever order seems most likely to cook them evenly. I take care not to overcook the vegetables. They should be slightly crunchy IMHO. When the time is right, in goes the meat, rice, and soy sauce mix. Stir/flip for another minute or two, add a little salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with green onion or cilantro. One of my favs.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks all... Am planning an hour of Utube, and will have to get a few dry spices and liquid spices.
The one thing that I think I now understand, is...
Cooking the rice. Yup... I know I'm dumb, but nowhere could I find anything about soaking and then boiling the rice (cookin)... and nothing that said how long to cook the rice. ?'til the water boils? 10 minutes? half hour?
.... drain? wash? keep it somewhat wet, or spread it out and let it dry? use cooked packaged rice? .... and the amount... what I tried first was 3 cups, and it overflowed the biggest fry pan I own.
Or... as some sources seem to say, just cook the rice in a few tablespoon of oil? I thought this would harden the kernels.
...What if I want to prepare it for 6?... Dumb question, but can I sear in a regular large pot?

Y'all are right... back to UTube... before i create some new incredible inedible delicacy.

Hate to say it , but you must not have read my post .... two questions need answered 1. How do I know it's done ? Ans - by taste (sample) , hard to describe what to feel for - if it's still hard and chewey it's not cooked ... you want it just past that state. As I said you do not want it overcooked and time will be shorter than most people expect (7 to 12 mins was my guide) 2. How do I cook it ? Ans : there are two methods :total absorbtion ... I don't use , and , the other way : Loads of water - like pints and pints - cook rice till done - see answer 1 , and drain. There must be enough water to allow grains to move about (lots) while it's boiling ... you cannot have too much water , you can have too little !

when drained - wash it , if you didn't before.
Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have found this recipe to be extremely helpful. Before I found it earlier this year I struggled to make good fried rice. Now, I love it. In fact I am eating some for a meal right this very second. So good.

I follow the directions pretty much exactly and it has worked.

https://thetakeout.com/how-to-make-p...ect-1826027558

Enjoy.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We use a rice cooker for rice.

I have a small one. I use 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice regardless of white or brown. Good pinch of salt and a splash of oil. I think with a rice cooker less water escapes compared to stovetop. I rarely do more than 2 cups at a time.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Basmati rice. 2 cups water, 1 cup rice, scant teaspoon salt. Boil the water, add rice and shake the pot to settle the rice. Pop the lid on and bring back to a boil. Lower the heat and cook 12 - 15 minutes. Take a fork and pull rice aside in the center to see if all the water has been absorbed. Once done, fluff the rice. Chill before making fried rice.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote