Join Early Retirement Today

How to deal with cinema PITAs?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Administrator

How to deal with cinema PITAs?

The only way I know of to "deal" with them, is to avoid going to movie theaters entirely. We don't go to theaters as often as we once did. The other attendees are only part of the reason, and we can avoid crowds to some extent by going during the day. However, the volume level is another matter.

The volume level in theaters did not bother me at all until recent years, but lately it has been completely unreasonable in our local theaters here in the New Orleans area. I often find the extremely high volume to be literally painful to my ears and one time in particular it was so high that the pain was nearly causing me to throw up.

Sometimes when F complains they do reduce the volume a little, though usually not enough. I value my hearing and I don't need to subject myself to that sort of experience. So, usually I try to beg off, and we end up skipping the movie and doing something else instead.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
..... However, the volume level is another matter.

The volume level in theaters did not bother me at all until recent years, but lately it has been completely unreasonable in our local theaters here in the New Orleans area. I often find the extremely high volume to be literally painful to my ears and one time in particular it was so high that the pain was nearly causing me to throw up.
Yes, but the loud volume masks the sounds of people talking little kids fidgeting and crying babies

Seriously, if the sound made you feel queasy you should leave and let the management know why. Subwoofers that are too present can actually cause this. Low frequency nausea is a known problem in the sound industry; google up "Infrasonic induced nausea" for a quick lesson in preparation for your visit with theater management.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
The last movie I saw in the theater was "Titanic"...........
Last trip to the theater for me. Totally ruined the movie for me and a lot of others.............
In case you left early, the ship sinks.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree with OP.
Going to movies has become such a PITA that we rarely go anymore. Really don't miss it as we've found many other more enjoyable ways to spend our time (& $$).
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yes, but the loud volume masks the sounds of people talking little kids fidgeting and crying babies

Seriously, if the sound made you feel queasy you should leave and let the management know why.
I should, and do! Unfortunately that does not seem to change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Subwoofers that are too present can actually cause this. Low frequency nausea is a known problem in the sound industry; google up "Infrasonic induced nausea" for a quick lesson in preparation for your visit with theater management.
Oh, good idea! I did not know about this at all. Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
In case you left early, the ship sinks.
You forgot "spoiler alert" . I walked out of Titanic when the ship hit the floe. It was way too real and scary and sad. Our theaters will refund your ticket price if you leave early (much earlier than I left Titanic) for any reason, including not liking the movie or rowdy audience. The management probably prefers to avoid confrontation with the rowdy audience.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on avoiding movie theaters. Rude patrons talking, cell phones shining like searchlights, and the audio is WAY TOO LOUD. I've been feeling a bit bad on dropping a couple of grand on my new home theater purchase, but we're actually enjoying watching movies several times a week now, especially since the choice of TV shows is so poor.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I feel that if you have a BF or GF, you have to take one for the Gipper from time to time. For me, one of these occasions is going to a big movie. I am happy to go to indie or art house movies, the experience is completely different. But this does not do it for her, so from time to time I am off to something of her choosing. Overall, I dislike the sound, I dislike many of the patrons, I dislike the actors, and I usually dislike the story. The only good part is having a whisky afterward.

Ha
Old 10-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #29

Last three movies I've been to see in a cinema, in order from most recent to oldest:
Magic Mike
No Country for Old Men
X-Files (original)

Not keeping up the standards at all! But, the Magic Mike one was awesome, girls night out in a place that serves beer and food.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #30

Quote:
We have the same problem with sound levels that are way too high and very definitely in the dBs that will result in hearing loss. I believe the theaters cater to the younger folks thatare almost deaf due to the sonic assaults they subject themselves to with car stereos that shatter windows 2 blocks away.

Yellow (actually any color) foam ear plugs work great. I can clearly hear all the dialog and sound effects without any discomfort. For 50 cents it's worth trying.

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

We are very choosey what we see at the movies so generally we go maybe twice a year. Gravity is on the list but I would like to see it in IMAX unfortunately that is only in 3D which gives me headaches. We also pick times when the kiddies are in school. Otherwise it is Netflix. What really annoys me is seeing something on the screen that should not be there like a big blotch from something that was thrown at the screen.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #32

Quote:
However, the volume level is another matter.

Sometimes when F complains they do reduce the volume a little, though usually not enough. I value my hearing and I don't need to subject myself to that sort of experience. So, usually I try to beg off, and we end up skipping the movie and doing something else instead.
W2R I second ear plugs, I use them for various things but not movies. Any department store should have them in sporting goods or home improvement stores for use with power tools, they are pretty cheap. You can adjust the audio level of the movie by how far you push them into your ears. I think you'd be quite pleased how well they will work and they will temper the voices around you that just can't shut up!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ear+...w=1130&bih=589
Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #33

We sat in the lower section for a movie and it was much too loud for me so we moved to the back and that was much better. We don't go often, it's usually for something that really needs the big screen experience.

One reason to stay home and watch on DVD or Netflix is that you can PAUSE and REWIND. I find I need to do that if I didn't clearly hear some dialog. No I'm not having hearing problems, THEY MUMBLE!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #34

Go to an Alamo Drafthouse. Although they started in Austin, they are rapidly expanding to other states. Not only do they have decent food and a great beer selection (delivered to your seat), they have a zero tolerance policy for talking or texting during the feature - check it out
She texted. We kicked her out. : Blog | Austin | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #35

Last three movies... (can't remember the years)
Star Wars
All the President's Men
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Haven't been to a cinema since. Are the seats soft? Do the aisle seats have lights on the side? Do Balconies still exist? How about ushers? Do they still wear vests and caps, and carry flashlights? Do the screens still have curtains that open? Newsreels? Do you still have to stand up and raise the seat when others come in? Is the sound as loud as in the movies on Netflix? Can you hear the Camera?
I know that there are no longer any chapter pictures, so I'm not THAT old! I do miss the Perils of Pauline!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Go to an Alamo Drafthouse. Although they started in Austin, they are rapidly expanding to other states. Not only do they have decent food and a great beer selection (delivered to your seat), they have a zero tolerance policy for talking or texting during the feature - check it out
Don't mess with Texas! That's beautiful. Unfortunately in the Peoples Republic of Mass the litigious entitled rule.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
We are very choosey what we see at the movies so generally we go maybe twice a year. Gravity is on the list but I would like to see it in IMAX unfortunately that is only in 3D which gives me headaches. We also pick times when the kiddies are in school. Otherwise it is Netflix. What really annoys me is seeing something on the screen that should not be there like a big blotch from something that was thrown at the screen.
We are going to see Gravity in Imax 3d this Thursday.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Far too often lately I am finding that going to the movies is a game of chance, as in, chances are my enjoyment of the movie is going to be lessened by spoiled kids or clueless alleged adults with no idea how to behave in a shared environment. Most recent case in point, going to see Gravity (in 3D) on a Saturday afternoon. A combination of punky adolescents, screaming infants, gleaming cellphone screens makes me consider dropping way too much dough on a 3D TV so I can experience the waycool 3D experience without having to deal with d-bags. <end of rant> Thanks, I feel better now.
We go to movies regularly - probably 2-3 times a month. We have never experienced any of the issue you describe. We usually go to the mid-evening shows and rarely go to the matinees.

Our local theater is $4 on Tuesday nights and we buy books of 12 tickets that are good for all other shows for $49 (a whopping $4.09/show). There is another theater about the same distance in the opposite direction that was $7 and has crept up to $9 that we hardly ever go to unless DD is home, we want to go out as a family and what we want to see isn't playing at the other theater.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Excellent! I love that they went ahead and played her voicemail before the movie.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #40

Disclaimer: We only go to the early bird specials on week days at two suburban theatres. we don't buy snacks at the theatres.

We have not been having problems with our fellow theatre goers. Usually there are only a scattering of people in the theatre.

Recently we carried an elderly neighbor (more elderly than we are) to a theatre. She wanted popcorn and coke. I was shocked at the cost.

Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote