Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Would Sandra Bulluck really have worn those little panties and no socks inside a spacesuit? Well, it was a better watch that way.
Sandra Bullock? Panties? Count me in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I cannot recall the last time we went to a theater. I have to ask my wife, and she does not remember either, but agree with me that it was between 5 to 10 years ago.

We stopped going because of lack of interest in new movies, but I still find disturbing what the above posters wrote. Is it another sign of societal decay?
Maybe so, but...Society is Coarser But Better - Reason.com
Old 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out Protect Your Hearing with Ear Plugs for Concerts | Wear Your EarPeace. Made just for things like concerts and loud movies without losing quality so they say. Comes in a little container that hooks onto your key ring so you always have them with you.

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
A much needed silver lining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Check out Protect Your Hearing with Ear Plugs for Concerts | Wear Your EarPeace. Made just for things like concerts and loud movies without losing quality so they say. Comes in a little container that hooks onto your key ring so you always have them with you.

Kindest regards.
This reminded me of a couple more reasons I stopped going to the theaters: loud sound effects, and big screens gave me a headache even though I normally sat back about 2/3 of the theater from the screen.

And even amidst all that noise, once my wife gave me an elbow because of my snoring, and she said people looked at us. I kid you not. I fell asleep in the middle of an action movie, because I was bored.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And even amidst all that noise, once my wife gave me an elbow because of my snoring, and she said people looked at us. I kid you not. I fell asleep in the middle of an action movie, because I was bored.
No surprise to me- they are totally boring unless you happened to be scared to death at that moment. The lowest kind of entertainment.

Ha
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Went to see Gravity in 3D. There were maybe 6 other folks in the theater for the 2:00 PM show. This is a new theater so I hope they get enough night business.

Week before we went to see something else, we were the only ones in that show. It actually stopped about 1 hour in. When I went out to check was told they didn't think anyone was in that show. Was asked to provide tickets, I still had them. Manager came out apoligized, said we'll bring it back to any point you want!

I hadn't gone to a theater in years due to undesirable behavior of folks. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post

Did enjoy Gravity, but I'm one of those who finds himself rolling his eyes at the technical impossibilities! Damn engineers! Would Sandra Bulluck really have worn those little panties and no socks inside a spacesuit? Well, it was a better watch that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
+1
I'm usually a stickler for technical details in movies, but one must allow for some artistic license.

I do plan to see this movie (have not gone to the theater in years, I think "Ray" was the most recent for me, which I loved), and now I'm expecting a jab in the ribs during this scene while I very carefully evaluate the artistic versus technical aspects of Sandra Bullock in panties in space.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I can't stand the smell of buttered popcorn , so going to the movies is pretty much out.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy the cinema "experience", but usually either a matinee, or the "dollar" movieplex. But, yes, lots of uncivilized a-holes out there. If it gets bad enough, I report it to theater management, and let them deal with it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paid $9 this afternoon to see Sadra Bullock in "Gravity" in 3D. I was by myself and there were maybe 10 others in the theater. The only teens that were in the seats actually chose seats 3 seats away in my row ( I was first to arrive and sat dead center halfway up). Fortunately they barely made a peep once the previews ended.

Great movie by the way. It's one that I would much rather see in the theater than on a DVD at home.

Sandra Bullock is surprisingly hot for her age.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Too much over-the-top CGI. Movies have become cartoons.
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I remember now that I used to enjoy James Bond movies up until my late 30s, and never missed one. So, I did enjoy action movies in the past.

Either my taste changed, or the overdone CGI and laws-of-physics-repealing actions became a turn-off to this curmudgeon, plus the loud sound, I don't know.

However, I also remember that when I spent time watching a drama in a dark theater, not getting distracted like I tended to at home watching a DVD, I would pay more attention and enjoyed the movie more. Will I rediscover that enjoyment? It's unlikely now.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

We used to go to movies only about once a year for the kids... now that our oldest can drive, I'll probably never go back... for all of the reasons mentioned, plus I can't stand sticky floors or the guy behind me constantly nudging my chair. At home, my floors are clean, no one is kicking me and if I need to go get a snack, I can pause the movie and find lots of things in the pantry (I almost typed panty) for less than $8.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Well, I do not care how much people talk about Gravity, but I am going to see it on DVD.

And about Sandra Bullock being hot, not being one who reads People though I have seen her in a few movies, I had to look up her age. 49. A youngster.

And while I am at it, I looked up Daryl Hannah, as she was mentioned recently in another thread (Blade Runner). Hannah is 52, but she looked old in a recent movie.

Ah, and then in Alien, another science fiction, Sigourney Weaver was hot then. She's 64 now. Gulp!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I go to see 1 or 2 movies a year with my GF. My growing pet peeve about movies is the longer and longer set of previews of ads and other announcements they show before the movie itself begins. They now add 15 even 20 minutes to the total time you are in the theater. Add to that the 10 or 15 minutes you spend at the theater before its postedd start time so you can get your choice of decent seats and a movie like "Lincoln" with its 2 1/2 hour running time has you in the theater for 3 hours! Why do they have to show ADS for products and 7 or 8 previews for other movies? Back in the 1980s and 1990s you had 2 or 3 previews, no ads, and very quick PSAs so the total pre-movie fluff lasted maybe 5 minutes.

As for distractions we tend to go during down times to minimize the chance of encountering distracting patrons and can distance ourselves from them. Back in the 1980s and early 1990s the problem was with smokers lighting up when theaters went smoke-free so sadly there will always be morons in the theaters with new ways to annoy others.

We haven't decided if we will see Gravity although Sandra Bullock in panties may get ME in there LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
We haven't decided if we will see Gravity although Sandra Bullock in panties may get ME in there LOL!
I do enjoy the si-fi movies, and even most of the outlandish special effects - "suspend disbelief" - and SB in panties might get me in there for a matinee. Although of course I would never tell DW that was the draw.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

They make very few movies for adults anymore. I guess they think there is no money in it. I don't know if that's true. It might be. Last movie I went to see was Lincoln. Before that, it was Seabiscut I think. I enjoy realism and historical events. Not big on the popular mystical movies.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

A bunch of retiree's complaining about kids these days? Say it isn't so.

j/k. I have a PJ at home, but I like going to the theater when I can. My kids are 5 & 8, so that limits how much we go. I make a point of going to the drive in every summer. We may need to get a sitter to give Gravity a look.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
They make very few movies for adults anymore. I guess they think there is no money in it. I don't know if that's true. It might be. Last movie I went to see was Lincoln. Before that, it was Seabiscut I think. I enjoy realism and historical events. Not big on the popular mystical movies.
I thought Lee Daniels' The Butler and 42 were both very good - old style movie stories with a minimum of special effects. There are some good movies for our generation out they, it is just that you need to chose carefully.

I like the heavy CGI/special effect movies like Ironman, Superman, recent Bond movies, etc. but I like the story-type movies better. I read in the WSJ that part of the driving force behind the higher doses of special effects and CGI and less dialogue is to attract foreign audiences whose first language is not english like the Chinese - and they like the special effects/CGI better as well.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote