How to deal with cinema PITAs? (Rant alert)

Tree-dweller

Recycles dryer sheets
Far too often lately I am finding that going to the movies is a game of chance, as in, chances are my enjoyment of the movie is going to be lessened by spoiled kids or clueless alleged adults with no idea how to behave in a shared environment. Most recent case in point, going to see Gravity (in 3D) on a Saturday afternoon. A combination of punky adolescents, screaming infants, gleaming cellphone screens makes me consider dropping way too much dough on a 3D TV so I can experience the waycool 3D experience without having to deal with d-bags. <end of rant> Thanks, I feel better now.

We haven't been to a theater in a couple of years.....for these same reasons. With bigger TV's now.....and the fact that movies come out on DVD so quick....we don't have an urge to go sit with a bunch of other people......although....I have been working on my Harry Potter "Stupefy" spell for these kinds of people.....not having much luck yet.

Last edited:
Someone posted on facebook one day - Anyone want to go see a movie and let the kids run around? I need a break.

I bit my tongue because it was my cousin's daughter. No one replied to her.

My wife and I got so fed up with other inconsiderate theater goers a few years ago that we splurged on a decent home theater system. The projector, receiver, and speakers were a little pricey, but we now thoroughly enjoy watching Hi-Def movies on our 92-inch screen in the privacy of our own home. We don't see movies right as they come out, but to be free of all those other irritations, for us, it was money well spent.

I cannot recall the last time we went to a theater. I have to ask my wife, and she does not remember either, but agree with me that it was between 5 to 10 years ago.

We stopped going because of lack of interest in new movies, but I still find disturbing what the above posters wrote. Is it another sign of societal decay?

I stopped going to movie theaters on a regular basis years ago because it is more both cheaper and more comfortable at home, and nowadays the home entertainment options are such that I can no longer justify being one of the first people to see a movie. When you are ER, the water cooler argument disappears!

You should complain to the management and demand your ticket cost be refunded. If other s did the same they would enforce quiet and no cell phone use. I can tell you that where I live we have the fortune of over 3000 screens to choose from in my City and disturbing others in any fashion will get you kicked out pretty fast. I love seeing movies on the big screen even though I have a home theater system. I relegate second tier wish list movies to watching DVDs later at home when they come out on DVD.

Where we used to go once or twice a month 30 years ago, we probably see 4-6 per year now, and almost only in winter. Some movies are better on the big screen and/or 3D. Fortunately we don't have much of an issue with kids or adults misbehaving in the local theaters, ushers quickly show them out. Our problem is how few movies are made these days that are even of interest...but probably more reflection on us.

Doesn't anyone else carry pea shooters anymore?

Far too often lately I am finding that going to the movies is a game of chance, as in, chances are my enjoyment of the movie is going to be lessened by spoiled kids or clueless alleged adults with no idea how to behave in a shared environment. Most recent case in point, going to see Gravity (in 3D) on a Saturday afternoon. A combination of punky adolescents, screaming infants, gleaming cellphone screens makes me consider dropping way too much dough on a 3D TV so I can experience the waycool 3D experience without having to deal with d-bags. <end of rant> Thanks, I feel better now.

We go to the cinema frequently, and I completely share your frustration. Please don't leave out the old pharts. Used to be they were the best behaved. Now, they take out their giant smartphones and use them as well to light up the room.

What we need it that flying thing Luke Skywalker used to teach him to use the light saber. The one that would fly around and zap him. Every theater should have a couple, and every a$$hat that talks or uses the phone should get zapped!

Haven't been to a theatre in a few months but I think the afternoon is the best time to go.

We only go to the movies 3-4 times a year - not as many interesting ones, the urge to "be the first to see something" has died, and for the cost these days I just want to be entertained and not preached to.:) But we really haven't noticed any bad behavior, perhaps because we live in a more suburban/rural area, and avoid going during high density times.

We go semi-regularly. Some films were made for the big screen. We usually go to the first showing in the day. Less people and definitely less kids.

We only go on Monday (senior day) or the first show on other week days when the cost is the lowest and then we have a late lunch out afterwards. Only a few people (10-12) so we get great seats. On occasion we have been the only ones in the theater. No movie is worth it to us to put up with all the people and rude behavior.

We bought a 52 inch TV a few years ago for watching movies on netflix. I still haven't sprung for a home theater speaker bar. I just can't seem to justify more than a $150 but maybe that will change by Christmas. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

I'm appalled at how people spend money for a movie and then sit there with there stupid technotoys...the same ones that endanger our lives on the roads.

We're amazed that there as so FEW movies we want to see these days, it's almost all crap. However, being retired we find that when we do go, weekdays afternoons, we don't have the annoyance factor.

Did enjoy Gravity, but I'm one of those who finds himself rolling his eyes at the technical impossibilities! Damn engineers! Would Sandra Bulluck really have worn those little panties and no socks inside a spacesuit? Well, it was a better watch that way.:angel:

We haven't been to a theater in years, partly because of lack of interest, partly because of other's rude behavior, and partly because we just don't like crowds. There are enough other options in home entertainment that movies in theaters just aren't on the radar anymore. And if it's one we do want to see, well, it'll be out on DVD, cable, or online soon enough.

The last movie I saw in the theater was "Titanic".

The theater was packed, except for a few single seats sprinkled thru the theater.

About an hour in to the movie, a group of young men came in and took the available seats, then proceeded to yell conversation to each other across the theater.

People complained but the management must have been too afraid to deal with them.

Last trip to the theater for me. Totally ruined the movie for me and a lot of others.

You can't say anything to morons like these, and then you have to worry if you DO say something, they will follow you out to the dark parking lot.

I hear ya. Last time I went to see a movie in a theater was when "Ghost" came out back in the late 80's.

How to deal with cinema PITAs?

The only way I know of to "deal" with them, is to avoid going to movie theaters entirely. We don't go to theaters as often as we once did. The other attendees are only part of the reason, and we can avoid crowds to some extent by going during the day. However, the volume level is another matter.

The volume level in theaters did not bother me at all until recent years, but lately it has been completely unreasonable in our local theaters here in the New Orleans area. I often find the extremely high volume to be literally painful to my ears and one time in particular it was so high that the pain was nearly causing me to throw up.

Sometimes when F complains they do reduce the volume a little, though usually not enough. I value my hearing and I don't need to subject myself to that sort of experience. So, usually I try to beg off, and we end up skipping the movie and doing something else instead.

Last edited:
..... However, the volume level is another matter.

The volume level in theaters did not bother me at all until recent years, but lately it has been completely unreasonable in our local theaters here in the New Orleans area. I often find the extremely high volume to be literally painful to my ears and one time in particular it was so high that the pain was nearly causing me to throw up.

Yes, but the loud volume masks the sounds of people talking little kids fidgeting and crying babies ;)

Seriously, if the sound made you feel queasy you should leave and let the management know why. Subwoofers that are too present can actually cause this. Low frequency nausea is a known problem in the sound industry; google up "Infrasonic induced nausea" for a quick lesson in preparation for your visit with theater management.

The last movie I saw in the theater was "Titanic"...........
Last trip to the theater for me. Totally ruined the movie for me and a lot of others.............
In case you left early, the ship sinks.

Agree with OP.
Going to movies has become such a PITA that we rarely go anymore. Really don't miss it as we've found many other more enjoyable ways to spend our time (& $$).

Yes, but the loud volume masks the sounds of people talking little kids fidgeting and crying babies ;)

Seriously, if the sound made you feel queasy you should leave and let the management know why.

I should, and do! :) Unfortunately that does not seem to change anything.

Subwoofers that are too present can actually cause this. Low frequency nausea is a known problem in the sound industry; google up "Infrasonic induced nausea" for a quick lesson in preparation for your visit with theater management.

Oh, good idea! I did not know about this at all. Thanks. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom