Join Early Retirement Today

How to die
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to die

What do you think about assisted suicide? Would you consider it for yourself or support a loved one pursuing this option?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Oregon's law doesn't cover me. Degeneration is not terminal.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Oregon's law doesn't cover me. Degeneration is not terminal.
Me neither. But I've thought about how I could end my life without doctors or legal approval if I ended up in a hopeless situation.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Me neither. But I've thought about how I could end my life without doctors or legal approval.
That would truly be cat-astrophic.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'd rather do it than die a protracted, painful death. I don't think my DW could ever bring herself to assist.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Purron, this is such an important question. Suicide is legal here, but helping someone to execute it is illegal and can result in prosecution. In the right circumstances I would certainly plan it for myself. But I could not ask anyone to get into legal trouble on my behalf. If I had a painful or degrading terminal condition I would investigate going to the Netherlands where euthanasia is legal.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been a member and contributor for many years to the organization now named "Compassion and Choices". It used to be known as "The Hemlock Society". It lobbies for end of life choice legislation , provides end of life counseling and advice to members.

I have always believed in an individual's right to decide whether or when to end his/her own life. I fully understand the objections to assisted suicide but I believe that doctors should be permitted to alleviate suffering even if those actions hasten death if that is the patient's wish.

To me Dr. Kevorkian is a hero.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
He even has his own CD, titled "A Very Still Life":

Amazon.com: Kevorkian Suite: Very Still Life: Jack Kevorkian: Music
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been a member and contributor for many years to the organization now named "Compassion and Choices". It used to be known as "The Hemlock Society". It lobbies for end of life choice legislation , provides end of life counseling and advice to members.

I have always believed in an individual's right to decide whether or when to end his/her own life. I fully understand the objections to assisted suicide but I believe that doctors should be permitted to alleviate suffering even if those actions hasten death if that is the patient's wish.

Thank you for sharing this Grumpy. I've seen people I love linger and suffer for years.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
I have been a member and contributor for many years to the organization now named "Compassion and Choices". It used to be known as "The Hemlock Society".
Thanks for the reference. When the time comes, I'd rather not involve anyone else -- I'm thinking some pills that put me to sleep and then cause me to die without waking. That would be best. I don't think I'll need them for 10-15 years, but I hope I can find some to stockpile in the next decade or so.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I could never hasten a loved ones life but I would step in and stop over the top medical intervention and I hope someone would do the same for me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Crap yes.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Most do not realize that there is lots of process in Oregon's assisted suicide law. One is that based on current medical knowledge you have less than 6 months to live and your physician must confirm that and the fact that you are mentally competent. Then you must meet with another physician and yet a different mental health practitioner. Only after that can you be dispensed medications that will do the job... and you must take them yourself, no one can administer them.

As some can confirm a pistol is quicker & cheaper.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #14

Its one thing to plan on having pills available for self administration but the real crunch comes when an individual, who has previously expressed the specific intention to end his/her life rather than suffer through a terminal condition suddenly declines to the point where he is incapacitated before he can carry out the act. Then our current laws deny his doctor or his loved ones the right to assist.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Then our current laws deny his doctor or his loved ones the right to assist.
As the laws should. In what sense could anyone "assist", when the patient cannot be known to have decided? At best, they can formulate a theory that if he were competent, he would decide to end his life. Necessarily tenuous.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hospice is a nursing specialty that is very professional and private about their services, but their level of expertise related to end-of-life issues is superior to any other care provider currently available, in my opinion.

No hospice nurse will ever say that they assist with suicide. That's not what they do. But, as professionals, they may provide interventions that allow for a peaceful death with dignity. They work very closely with the family and the patient and other health care providers that are involved, and depending on the situation, can gracefully assist with an end to suffering.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having experienced Hospice with my mother passing away, I second Hospice as greatly superior in care, assistance to loved ones remaining, and without the legal problems that will come from assisted suicide, nor the emotional aftermath of a suicide.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #18

I agree with this. Hospice care is far better than what it used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Having experienced Hospice with my mother passing away, I second Hospice as greatly superior in care, assistance to loved ones remaining, and without the legal problems that will come from assisted suicide, nor the emotional aftermath of a suicide.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Its one thing to plan on having pills available for self administration but the real crunch comes when an individual, who has previously expressed the specific intention to end his/her life rather than suffer through a terminal condition suddenly declines to the point where he is incapacitated before he can carry out the act. Then our current laws deny his doctor or his loved ones the right to assist.
But the prosecutor would claim that the controlling, abusive spouse coerced the other one into dying against their will.

I watched my mother, a registered nurse, quietly make herself die when her metastasized breast cancer spread to her bones and started breaking them. She got home from the hospital, crawled into bed, stopped eating, and then stopped drinking. It was an extraordinary act of pain tolerance & endurance, although during her final year at home she was never more than six feet from one of many Demerol stashes. I suspect that I have the same temperament to pull off something like that. However I also wonder if I'll always be curious about one more sunrise, one more surfing session, one more ice cream cone...

My spouse plans to collect Percocet and Bailey's Irish Cream.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

My spouse plans to collect Percocet and Bailey's Irish Cream.
Me too but I wish doctors were free to prescribe guaranteed effective, painless solutions. The vet can give a dog a simple shot but we have to hoard pills and go out slowly (with a plastic bag over our heads to assure success)? Awful.