How to Disguise/Cover This Wall?

Lot 43 bought the wrong property and tries to improve how it feels to him. In the photo his house also looks very close to the access drive. Dust is getting kicked up by vehicles using the access. This one's a real challenge.

Met with lawyer. He was okay, but I think we spent about $100 on him saying um, uh, er, etc.

$350 for today's hour and $350 for him to write a demand letter. #blowthedough His letter will request that the tip of the "jetty" be moved back 5' and the whole rock wall moved at least 2'.

We are leaving the fence issue for now. He mentioned that if I push the fence, the neighbor might demand that I move the remaining woodshed to meet setback requirements

https://i.imgur.com/CSGSECb.png

I'll pursue that more if I'm unable to grow a hedge.

I've probably missed some things, but why doesn't the controlling government authority want the jetty rocks off what looks like a public right-of-way/street? As others wrote, the restricted with can be a safety hazard.

I've probably missed some things, but why doesn't the controlling government authority want the jetty rocks off what looks like a public right-of-way/street? As others wrote, the restricted with can be a safety hazard.

Yes, I (and probably others) have said something like that too.

I don't understand getting a lawyer involved, spending that money, for what some govt agency should be doing for you for free.

The heck with moving part of it 5' and part 2', get the whole thing off that 20' access. There might even be an easement alongside that, with no building allowed in the easement. We have a 10' easement alongside each side of the road at our house.

You are tip toeing around this. Get the controlling municipality involved, the sooner the better. And you should make sure your stuff is in compliance as well, looks like your sheds weren't/aren't?

I don't think you ever told us how long the 'jetty' has been there - you did say he built it all in a day or two. When was that?

edit/add: Plus, if you settle for a compromise, and it goes on for years, you are going to fall into that "adverse possession" area of the law, and you may never get your 20' back. Could affect resale value of the house when potential new owners see they were supposed to have a 20' wide access, and they don't.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that lawyer is doing you good service. If he can make a few hundred getting a compromise, it was easy work. It's not his driveway.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I agree, I thought that was way less than should be required by the county. I would want it enforced, not for the sake of rigidity, but to keep your house from burning down before the fire department can get the appropriate vehicle within reach.

And are the woodsheds anchored? I would ask that the fence meet code, and just move the woodsheds on my own proactively, or at least as soon as it was brought up. Or is it more trouble than I'm imagining?

Last edited:
Yeah, can't speak for Al's government.

Raleigh is pretty easy going, but if neighbors call on this kind of thing, they will write up citations really quick.

I live in a non-HOA neighborhood. That's OK. I think the city has enough codes. We've had neighbors written up to move cars, cut grass (yes, cut grass!), and tear down decks that didn't have proper setback.

(PS: I've never had to call, or been cited. Just hear it from the buzz in the neighborhood when it happens. We're still wondering who called in the tallish grass. :) )

PPS: I was just reading the code. Looks like Al's other neighbor, the one with the big shrub on the easement, could be written up if it happened here. Just sayin'.
A place of shrubs or other similar vegetation over eight (8) inches in height when any of such shrubs or vegetation is:
(1)
Encroaching upon the sidewalk, the parkway, or the curb or edge of the pavement of any abutting street , or
(2)
A focal point for any other nuisance enumerated in this code.

Last edited:
Rock wall was built a few weeks ago. County government can be slow.

Back
Top Bottom