Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to dispose of broken exercise equipment?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to dispose of broken exercise equipment?

I've run my elliptical machine into the ground. I'm going to replace it with a new one.

I'm not sure how I can get rid of it though... it's large, heavy, and broken! I can't just place at the curb for the garbage truck.

How can I get rid of it?
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does your area have bulky trash pickup? Just last month, I got rid of an old deep freeze, a porch glider, two tvs, two car tires, a microwave oven, photo copier, barbecue grille, and a couple other odds and ends. Nice and convenient, just set up the appointment online, and then set the stuff out the night before pickup.

If you don't have a bulk trash pickup, you might be able to sit it out at the curb with a big sign that says "FREE" on it, and someone might take it away.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Does your area have bulky trash pickup?
+1 - I know when I lived in the big city (not sure where you live) we had heavy trash pickup once a month. Usually, the junk collectors would come around the day before the heavy trash collection was scheduled and pick up just about anything of any value which you could then find the next weekend at the local flea market.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Another possibility...how hard would it be to take the machine apart? If you have a truck or big enough car, you could just throw it in back and take it to the nearest landfill. But if you don't have a vehicle it would fit in, would it be feasible to break it down into smaller pieces so it would fit?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might try posting in on the "free" section of Craigslist. Or maybe list it under "sporting goods". Someone may want to try to fix it or use it for parts.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I find the metal collectors pick up lots of stuff, everyone kept telling me I'd have to pay to get rid of an old stove.
I put it out the day before garbage collection and it was gone in 2 hours.
I replaced another stove at another house, and put it on craigslist for free, as it worked ok.
Next day young couple came by and picked it up.

I'm pretty sure you can take it apart and put the parts in the garbage as a last resort, some parts will be totally recyclable (metal bars etc).
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

When I bought a new treadmill about 5 or 6 years ago, I asked if they could take the old one away when they delivered it. No problem, and they didn't even charge me for it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Does your area have bulky trash pickup? Just last month, I got rid of an old deep freeze, a porch glider, two tvs, two car tires, a microwave oven, photo copier, barbecue grille, and a couple other odds and ends. Nice and convenient, just set up the appointment online, and then set the stuff out the night before pickup.

If you don't have a bulk trash pickup, you might be able to sit it out at the curb with a big sign that says "FREE" on it, and someone might take it away.
Our utility (BGE) pays a reward for recycling old (working) refrigerators, freezers and window AC units. They $25-$50 but you have to drop the item off at a designated location. This iis supposed to encourage disposal of older inefficient appliances. Not sure what they do to verify the unit is working. I know other utilities have similar programs.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

1-800-GotJunk

I've used them for all sorts of really bulky stuff that needed to go including stuff that was too heavy to even get it to the curb for bulky trash pickup (when available).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #10

Another vote for the "Free" category on Craigslist. I've disposed of many large bulky items that way with no fee and never having to haul it out to the street... broken down lawnmower, 30-year-old refrigerator, debris from kitchen and bath remodel, DS's weight set, countless CRT TVs, a basketball goal, old couch, etc. I usually try the local charities first. But if they won't take it, it goes on Craigslist free, and it's gone in a couple hours.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

We have an annual pickup of items like your machine. There is also a city transfer station where we can drop off things like that. Check with your community.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Our utility (BGE) pays a reward for recycling old (working) refrigerators, freezers and window AC units. They $25-$50 but you have to drop the item off at a designated location. This iis supposed to encourage disposal of older inefficient appliances. Not sure what they do to verify the unit is working. I know other utilities have similar programs.
I didn't realize they did that. We're on BG&E too down here. I should have looked into it, but trying to truck that old deep freeze off to a recycling center might have been more trouble than it was worth.

I got rid of an old window a/c unit last fall. It was one of those hulking 220V systems, and dated back to probably the mid 1980's. That sucker was a real backbreaker...I swear it felt almost as heavy as the deep freezer!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Our local utility also hauls away old refrigerators and pays you $30 for the privilege (or you can donate the money). But there's an important caveat: It must be working (meaning you need to have it plugged in when they arrive, and the inside has to be cold).

The reason is that way they can be assured the refrigerant is still sealed in. Otherwise I think there is an EPA fine for disposing of it without recycling the refrigerant.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I've run my elliptical machine into the ground. I'm going to replace it with a new one.

I'm not sure how I can get rid of it though... it's large, heavy, and broken! I can't just place at the curb for the garbage truck.

How can I get rid of it?
Sometimes a place delivering bulky stuff will take the old one.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #15

Put it on Craig's for free.

Dismantle it and recycle the metal, throw away the plastic.

When you buy a new one, ask about hauling away the old one.

Cut it up (or dismantle) and throw a bit away each week in the normal trash.

Find a scrapper in Craig's to take it away for scrap.

You should be able to get rid of it for free. Calling someone to pick it up will be over $100.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post

How can I get rid of it?
Maybe find someone in need of a clothes rack, since that's what most "exercise" equipment gets used for...

Sorry for ending that sentence with a preposition...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a place near here that gives you cash for metal. I took some odds and ends from some construction work and got $50. If you can find one of these places and take it apart you can have a nice dinner out!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
We have a place near here that gives you cash for metal. ....
Exactly what I do. Steel is paying next to nothing right now, but they will take it and give you a small amount for your trouble.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #19

If I put anything containing metal by the curb, it disappears within an hour. The junk collectors drive their pickup trucks all around the neighborhood the day before garbage collection day.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Put in on your curb with a sign that says "FREE - Just Take It". It if hangs around for more than 24 hours I will be shocked.