Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to find a sitter?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to find a sitter?

My wife is a stay at home mom, but she also runs a small business that requires a few hours of her time per week. We badly need to find a sitter for a few hours a week, but we don't really know how to find one. Any suggestions?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How to find a sitter?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
My wife is a stay at home mom, but she also runs a small business that requires a few hours of her time per week. We badly need to find a sitter for a few hours a week, but we don't really know how to find one. Any suggestions?
Brew - We lived in a neighborhood with a bunch of stay at home moms. They formed a Babysitting Co-op. There were about 25 of them. They would call around to see who could take the kids for a few hours. There was someone selected each year that kept track of who did what and who owed time. Turned into a social thing to, with potlucks, etc. Good luck.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #3

I would put the word out to people that I know and trust, such as family, friends, neighbors, people at your church and co-workers. Alot of times they can steer you toward a certain person and even if they are not available, they might know someone else.

I have always worked and I had 2 children. I was off 6 weeks for the first and 3 months for the second. This is by far the hardest thing for working parents. One can not do a good job at work, when you are worrying about the care your children are receiving. We ended up selling our house, my spouse quit his job and I was able to transfer my job, and moved to another state (back home) because we had such babysitter problems with my first child. A family member told me that they would babysit my son and since I had lived with her for 8 years while growing up, I trusted her. We difinitely made drastic moves, but since our son was the most important priority, it was definitely worth it.

Good luck!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

For just a few hours per week a responsible teenager in the 13-17 age group is a possibility, especially if your wife is close by. There are some very mature and experienced kids in this age group (mostly girls but don't rule out boys). Our 14yr old has been babysitting for 3 years and has several families that rely on her. Check out your own neighborhood (people you know). You can always start slow to test them out.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #5

Word-of-mouth is the best reference. Check with neighbors, coworkers, church groups but don't forget the nannycam.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
For just a few hours per week a responsible teenager in the 13-17 age group is a possibility, especially if your wife is close by.* There are some very mature and experienced kids in this age group (mostly girls but don't rule out boys).* *Our 14yr old has been babysitting for 3 years* and has several families that rely on her.* Check out your own neighborhood (people you know).* *You can always start slow to test them out.
We have tried this. Infortunately, the local teens don't seem to understand that when they agree to sit at a certain time and date, we are counting on them. We are close to giving up on this age group and looking for college kids.

- George Orwell

Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
We have tried this. Infortunately, the local teens don't seem to understand that when they agree to sit at a certain time and date, we are counting on them. We are close to giving up on this age group and looking for college kids.
That's ashame but not suprising.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #8

Although kids are grownup now, we always were referred to sitters by someone who's child/children were with the sitter or had been recently. Nothing like a reference, then go there and see how it looks, how the kids/adults are interacting and how the physical place looks (clean, appropriate toys and furniture, safe, etc).
Always worked out very well.
Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #9

try craigslist. (http://www.craigslist.org/ and pick the area where you live)
we are in the same boat (DW is working part time from home) and we had good luck with our babysitter.

sailor
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
we are in the same boat (DW is working part time from home) and we had good luck with our babysitter.

sailor
Interesting. Thanks.

- George Orwell

Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our experience has been that somewhat younger sitters work best (maybe 13-14). Once they get to their mid teens they seem to have other priorities and get flaky.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor

sailor
Just an update: We found someone local on craigslist and met her today. She seems perfect, so once I check her references, we should be all set. Thanks, sailor.

- George Orwell

Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
She seems perfect, so once I check her references, we should be all set.* Thanks, sailor.
I guess it'd be prudent to do a credit check and a criminal records check? Or does some referring agency handle this?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I guess it'd be prudent to do a credit check and a criminal records check?* Or does some referring agency handle this?
Hadn't thought about that. I think the credit check is something I don't really care about. Anything I have of value (material) is in an account somewhere. If she wants to steal some of the crap stuff in the house, I'd probably pay her an hourly rate to get rid of it. Crimial check is interesting, but I've no idea how to do do this.

Ultimately we will be depending on the reference checks, our judgement, and the simple act of treating her well. In addition to pay and consideration, my wife is already planning to ffer her career and resume advice (DW's business). I think goodwill goes a long way.

- George Orwell

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

If she is underage you most likely can't do a criminal check anyway.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote