Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How To Fix Non-functioning Interior Door Lock
Old 12-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How To Fix Non-functioning Interior Door Lock

Lock looks something like this: https://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/...-problems.html

It is for bedrm in home. See 2nd picture in link. Initial problem was I couldn't turn that "thingy" at the center of the interior knob that quarter turn to lock position. I removed lock from door and eventually by messing around w/ a screwdriver, I was able to manually move things so that that "thingy" now functions so I can lock the door.

Remaining problem is that if I lock the door, I cannot unlock it. I can insert/remove the key ok but when the key is inserted, the knob/cylinder will not turn. (If the door is not locked, the knob will turn and I can open the door).

That lock is not used much. I installed it just in case we had workers in the home and wanted to lock the bedrm for some reason. Otherwise it just sits there.

Ideas for fix? Does it need something to undo a freeze(things stuck together) or just a lubricant (graphite or silicone)
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been through this a few times and I have had to just replace the door handle. The problem I have found out is the problem is in the cylinder the guts of the operation to make it work properly.

The cost of door knobs are way over priced and I hate buying them for that reason (tight wad). The thing is if you need it to work you will never be positive that is will function right and it could be an emergency situation. They are not worth trying to fix. IMO
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

So you could potentially be locked in the bedroom? I wouldn't trust anything but a certain fix, in case of fire. What if you free it temporarily but it sticks again when your life depends on getting out?

Even if you can get out from inside, what if someone, maybe a young child, or an incapacitated adult, is behind the locked and you can't get in to help them?

Just replace the whole door knob. Aren't they about $12? Maybe a little more for a keyed lock, but if you rarely use it, just get the kind that you open with the little pin thing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you take it apart and can't figure out what's wrong, just buy a new one. They only cost $15.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

As other have said....Why fix it? Replace it.

I had a malfunctioning door knob on one of our bathrooms door that wouldn't lock. Purchased a new one from Home depot for $29 and replaced it in five minutes.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If it is rarely used, it probably just has dust or corrosion inside. I'd squirt it with WD40 real well and see if that doesn't free it up. If that doesn't work, I'd replace it. As others have mentioned they are cheap.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Try graphite powder. If that doesn't work, replace it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Try graphite "powder". If that doesn't work, replace it.
Graphite powder is the right lubricant for door locks, but it really makes a mess if you get it on clothes or carpet.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Graphite powder is the right lubricant for door locks, but it really makes a mess if you get it on clothes or carpet.
I couldn't tell you, I never tried it on clothes or carpet. But it often does work on locks.

By the way, "IMO" it's best not to use something like WD40 "and" powdered graphite on the same locks. This is a case where two is not better than one. Use one or the other, not both.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If it is rarely used, it probably just has dust or corrosion inside. I'd squirt it with WD40 real well and see if that doesn't free it up. If that doesn't work, I'd replace it. As others have mentioned they are cheap.
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I hoping this is the answer.......since it's indoors and esp since DW is a fanatic about vacuuming every wk, I can't imagine it's dust. Corrosion, perhaps. Mostly I'm interested in seeing what the issue is esp. since Running Bum has put the fear in me of it working/then not working.

Not so much concerned about safety since it's just a spare bedrm w/ hobby ,
food, and other junk in there. But wouldn't like it to get hung up again and have to pay locksmith to rescue me esp. since I'm reluctant to pay $20 for a new one.

Hopefully it's some slow process like corrosion that won't be good now and bad tomorrow. That way I can test it first before locking the door and then unlock it a day or wk later to beat the long term process. For now I'm inclined to try the WD40 just to see if it starts working.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
By the way, "IMO" it's best not to use something like WD40 "and" powdered graphite on the same locks. This is a case where two is not better than one.
How about WD40 now to free it up and then sometime later (how long?) silicone for lubrication?
Old 12-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
How about WD40 now to free it up and then sometime later (how long?) silicone for lubrication?
WD40 is great stuff for lots of things and may work for you on your lock problem. I've just had much better luck using "powered graphite" for lock internals. How long between applications, depends on conditions and usage but I try not to mix the two unless its been so long, I forgot what I used earlier.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I couldn't tell you, I never tried it on clothes or carpet. But it often does work on locks.............
Good thought. I've never deliberately put graphite on clothes or carpeting, but I'm also a disciple of Murphy's law. Sh!t happens.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #14

If you really want to keep that same door lock for some reason like it matches all the others in the house I'd just take it to a locksmith and ask him if he can either repair it or just install new "guts" in it. Either way shouldn't cost much.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Insufficient information to fix lock remotely. Stock Philips and standard screwdrivers in the room so if you lock yourself in you can undo the knob and operate the latch using the standard screwdriver. Buy replacement unit - if $15 hurts too much I'm sure a yard sale will be your friend. As a landlord, locked interior doors = drugs or kinky stuff.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
.........Buy replacement unit - if $15 hurts too much I'm sure a yard sale will be your friend. ........
My local Habitat ReStore has buckets of door locks and door lock parts - can often find a match for an older one.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #17

When I have a problem with a door knob in my rentals, it's replace. For $15 and 5 minutes, it's never a problem again.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
As a landlord, locked interior doors = drugs or kinky stuff.
As long as it's a bed/bath lock, it seems OK. The kind you can open with a quarter.

I have seen too many tenant-installed deadbolts on bedroom doors, hooks, and even the wall mount deadbolts in my Section 8 days to know that there is a problem when you see that type.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Go to the town dump and look for thrown away doors and scavenge a complete door handle assembly. You can buy a new one too, It's not that much and it'll be new and shiny!
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This wasn't worth 5 posts, much less 20. Replace the damn doorknob. Sheesh.