How to Fix This Pants Problem

I think T-Al should keep the pants and take all the credit without further comment.

I also think he has the perfect new profile picture.

OK, you you bought the throw away fry pans for a buck each for the camping trip but are concerned about the $2 pants?

I think you and Lena need to seriously buy a $50 bottle of vino just for the hell of it.

Wear one of these. A sporran is highly useful for stowing keys and other important items and looks much better than walking around clutching a newspaper in front of yer zipper....

View attachment 10111
I got my kilt (from Utilikilts, not Scottish, so no sporran) this weekend. I can confirm that there is no zipper issue. Need to pee? Just lift the whole front up.

I don't have a pic yet but will post it when some of the people who took one get back to me.

Need to pee? Just lift the whole front up.
I don't have a pic yet but will post it when some of the people who took one get back to me.
Oooookay, I think any pictures like that will actually make this thread less than worthless...

I love T-Al's explanations more than anything else in the world.
The salesgirl fishing around inside the pants? Awesome!
But seriously, I had the same problem with some and ironing seemed to work pretty well, it is basically a design/fabric flaw. You have to iron them again each time you wear them.

They've been steam-ironed, and are going to sit like this for a few more days:

Pants2.jpg

No comments about the hole in the weight plates, please ("Honestly, Doc, I don't know how this happened, but I can't get them off!").

I'm surprised no one came up with the real answer.

Velcro. :whistle:

That's all you need.
Steve

On a similar note, I sure wish there were some way to know before purchasing which button-up shirts are going to "behave" and which ones are going to have the buttonhole placket get all puckery and wrinkled after washing.

Regarding Al's slacks--A steam iron will put it right temporarily. If there's a crease where it tends to crumple now, you could try wetting with vinegar before ironing--especially on polyester, vinegar help to make ironed-in creases more permanent, and to make ironed-out wrinkles stay gone for longer.

If you really like these pants, you could open up the fly flap and sew in/iron in some interfacing. That would be a lot of work.

If the above doesn't fix it, I will insert a piece of thin plastic into the flap.

If the above doesn't fix it, I will insert a piece of thin plastic into the flap.
Al, you're killing REWahoo! with these setups. You gotta stop pitching these softballs right over the plate...

On a similar note, I sure wish there were some way to know before purchasing which button-up shirts are going to "behave" and which ones are going to have the buttonhole placket get all puckery and wrinkled after washing.

Land's end shirts always behave and last for years .

Perhaps Al is expecting much too high a return on that $2 pants investment. This link explains a significant new correlation with respect to high expectations.

Perhaps Al is expecting much too high a return on that $2 pants investment. This link explains a significant new correlation with respect to high expectations.

1) Well for $2 they sure did generate a lot of entertainment...

2) ...on the other hand, discussing possible solutions has cost way more in man hours than the pants are worth.

Therefore I conclude that in the interest of efficient use of resources we need to make fun of Al's pants, because 1) has a higher payoff than 2).

What's wrong with doing nothing and wearing them just the way they are. I have a pair of shorts that do that. I don't care, I wear them anyway.

I'm surprised the engineers on the forum didn't point out that different materials react differently to stress. Heat and water exposure (aka washing) will affect a nylon (my guess) zipper differently from cotton or cotton-polyester blend fabric, which is what the pants look to be made of. Even the materials composing the thread, used to install the zipper, will affect the compatibility of the materials mix.

Expensive clothiers take material compatibility into account, which is why my 18-year-old Brooks Brothers cotton jeans, with a cotton-metal zipper still fit fine after about 100 washings - and the zipper does not do that ripple thing. By the way, I did buy those jeans on sale, so there.

Amethyst

What's wrong with doing nothing and wearing them just the way they are.

Cause I do enough goofy-ass senior moment things without people thinking I also left my fly open.

Note also that although the pants cost only $2, they are worth about $50. That's how much a new pair of zipoff cargo pants would cost.

Note also that although the pants cost only $2, they are worth about $50. That's how much a new pair of zipoff cargo pants would cost.

And of course, these pants get folks to look at yer... um... Pretty good for 2 bucks :cool:

That's how much a GOOD pair of cargo pants would cost. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom