How to get Internet - no cable or DSL available

JustMeUC

Recycles dryer sheets
I moved recently and have been relying on my BB for internet while at home. trying to do stuff on a 2" screen is getting old quick.

I am unable to get Cable or DSL so my only real option is Dial Up :nonono: or Satellite or a broadband card. Dial up is out of the question. The BB is better and I have tried a friends satellite link up and it is very slow. That leaves a broadband card. I am with Sprint for my cell service but their card is $59/month and requires a 2 year contract. I heard that another company is offering a card for a bit less per month with no 2 year contract which is something I would really like to avoid if possible. However, I am not sure how good the service would be with the cheaper no commitment company.

Any experience or advice?

Oh, should have stated I would love to have clearwire, but it is not in my area.

Have you checked for local providers with repeaters that cover you (line of sight)?

Internet options

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I tried a local company that set a little box on the roof, looks like a mini satellite. It is only on about 90% of the time it seems and when it is on, it was really slow. I wasn't able to use skype at all it was so slow. I did numerous speed tests and it was averaging about 500 up 100 down. My BB is way faster, just that screen is so small..

I'm afraid I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a broadband card or kick my renter out of my old house and move back into it, lol

I have the same problem. The only options I have are an air card, dialup, and satellite. Google Chrome browser is a lot faster, even on dialup. If I get an aircard, I'm considering a cell antenna with a repeater to boost the signal inside my aluminum clad house. But I think I'll wait a bit before I make any decision to see just how internet addicted I really am.

I moved recently and have been relying on my BB for internet while at home. trying to do stuff on a 2" screen is getting old quick.

I am unable to get Cable or DSL so my only real option is Dial Up :nonono: or Satellite or a broadband card. Dial up is out of the question. The BB is better and I have tried a friends satellite link up and it is very slow. That leaves a broadband card. I am with Sprint for my cell service but their card is $59/month and requires a 2 year contract. I heard that another company is offering a card for a bit less per month with no 2 year contract which is something I would really like to avoid if possible. However, I am not sure how good the service would be with the cheaper no commitment company.

Any experience or advice?

I can tether my Verizon blackberry to my computer and get internet. If it is in the broadband area it is plenty fast. The charge with Verizon is $30 a month for the data plan with the tether, but there is no contract. You can turn it on and off at will. I don't know if Sprint has something similar.

I can tether my Verizon blackberry to my computer and get internet. If it is in the broadband area it is plenty fast. The charge with Verizon is $30 a month for the data plan with the tether, but there is no contract. You can turn it on and off at will. I don't know if Sprint has something similar.

Sprint does if you have the right plan. They won't allow it with any of the "Everything" plans. At least not legally.

I have the same problem (sort of, cable is available but I don't watch TV so its a bad deal).

I have used the air card for years now. Verizon's. The price has been coming down.

When you look at various cell options - be mindful that most now have data limits and you may rapidly run into problems.

Back
Top Bottom