Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Anyway, when my kids were small, we went to Walt Disney World and Disneyland several times so we bought into the Disney Vacation Club. ... Anyway, after a few years of this we decided we wanted to go to other places so we sold our unit on the secondary market. We sold within a matter of days for more than we had paid for the share. ...
This was some years ago so I don't know if they still do it the same way or not.
Yes - nothing has changed in that regard. We still own a timeshare interest at the BoardWalk resort, and just sold our timeshare interest at Wilderness Lodge for more than we paid (practically zero gain after accounting for capital improvements). So effectively we got twelve years of vacation accommodations for the cost of maintenance, i.e., at times paying effectively $130 per night (tax effectively included) for rooms that, with the very best discount ever available would be priced at $250 (plus tax) or more a night.

I was sort of amazed by it because a DVC timeshare was not forever. It was basically good for, I think, 40 years and we had used some of the years.
The DVC timeshares are lease-hold arrangements, the initial contracts set to terminate in early 2042. I think such arrangements actually bolster the value of the timeshare. Because the developer will be getting the property back at the end, it behooves them to exert the control that will keep it valuable. The limited term is effectively baked into the initial (and therefore resale) prices, so it isn't like the owners are losing something they had.

The big thing that held prices up was that if you get an offer to purchase your share Disney had a right to match the price and purchase the shares and Disney would do it if the price was low.
Disney's right of first refusal may have propped up prices at Old Key West, Vero Beach and Hilton Head, and may prop up prices at Saratoga Springs over the long-term, but I don't think our BoardWalk properties benefited all that much from ROFR. Being able to wake up in your hotel and take a short stroll into either of two of the four theme parks did most of the work.

bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Oh, how timeshares have fallen!

Saw from Ebay ... a lot of $1 (start bid, no reserves) timeshare listing for Hawaii, many with closing & transfer fee paid by seller, a few offering $200 - $500 pre-paid credit card upon closing. One TS I looked at, I can buy it for $1 and get $500 in Amex credit. No closing or transfer fee. So, I make $499 by buying the TS. All I need to pay is yearly $680 maintenance fee.

Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Oh, how timeshares have fallen!

One TS I looked at, I can buy it for $1 and get $500 in Amex credit. No closing or transfer fee. So, I make $499 by buying the TS. All I need to pay is yearly $680 maintenance fee.
You also need a desire to visit Hawaii now and then. And the guts to wait out the broken timeshare market until it gets back to 'normal' (whatever that is for the timeshare market.)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote