Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Silly you probably never gets called to the courtroom with the usually non-functional air conditioning while its 110 out. I'm betting that silly you's wife also didnt work 12 hour night shifts at the hospital while the two of you had a 12 month old, which made even the 8 hour jury selection process a major horror show.

Oh and the last trial they tried to select me for was an expected 5-6 week one. Silly you probably got a 2 hour 'lets make a deal' selection, right?

hmmmm..... around here you do not have to serve if you are the primary child care provider of a young-un..... need to move to a more advanced locale... such as TEXAS (then again, I can not speak for all of Texas... only Harris County)...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
They don't like cops on the jury. It keeps me off the jury.
A co-worker always gets off after responding the the question, "what do you do for a living?" He's an appellate attorney.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Silly you probably never gets called to the courtroom with the usually non-functional air conditioning while its 110 out. I'm betting that silly you's wife also didnt work 12 hour night shifts at the hospital while the two of you had a 12 month old, which made even the 8 hour jury selection process a major horror show.
I forgot, you're the only person in the world who has anything difficult in life. Allow me to shed some tears for you. This cost me in money and time required to catch up on my work.

I sat in a crowded and hot courtroom for half a day before being selected for an attempted murder trial which went on for a couple days.

Allow me to share some ideas with you.

1. Hire a baby sitter
2. Cowboy up a little and learn not to bitch about the heat, it isn't going to kill you
3. You aren't the only person in the world married to somebody who works nights. Perhaps since you're retired she doesn't need the differential pay.
4. Consider that maybe you might be in front of a jury some day and you might want it to be filled with people who take their civic duty seriously.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Aww, aint it easy to judge when you dont know anything?

1. We'd just moved to the area and didnt know any
2. Even a cowboy tough guy like you would have bitched a little about sitting in a room shoulder to shoulder with almost 100 people in a 110 degree room for two days. Did I mention that they required long pants, and shoes with socks in the courtroom?
3. She doesnt work nights anymore. In fact, she hardly works! But if you knew anything about hospital work, you'd know that a lot of people have to start on the night shift and wait for day shifts to open up, based on seniority.
4. I'd like to be in front of a jury of people who wanted to be jurors, not people who werent smart enough to come up with an excuse.

So basically for 2 days my wife came home from a 12 hour, took the baby while I ran out the door, I baked for 8 hours while she tried to stay awake with our son until I got back, and then she got in a couple of hours of sleep before going back to work. Oh, and being selected to the jury could have meant a couple of months of that.

Sort of breaks into my idea of civil duty a little bit.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Aww, aint it easy to judge when you dont know anything?

1. We'd just moved to the area and didnt know any
2. Even a cowboy tough guy like you would have bitched a little about sitting in a room shoulder to shoulder with almost 100 people in a 110 degree room for two days. Did I mention that they required long pants, and shoes with socks in the courtroom?
3. She doesnt work nights anymore. In fact, she hardly works! But if you knew anything about hospital work, you'd know that a lot of people have to start on the night shift and wait for day shifts to open up, based on seniority.
1. Point taken.
2. What courtroom doesn't?
3. My wife is a nurse too, but you're right you're the only person who knows anything about hospital work

Right now the only people who do serve are people who can't get out of it. Perhaps that explains the verdicts we see so often?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Apparently I was also selected for pinata duty for the self righteous.

I wonder how long an ignore list you can have on this software...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #27

Quote:

Gosh, I thought you were pretty thick skinned?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't want to read any more of this...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Gosh, I thought you were pretty thick skinned?
Should we pull up lawn chairs, popcorn and cold drinks or can we be finished now - PLEASE.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Food fight, food fight.