Join Early Retirement Today

How To Get Out Of Jury Duty
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How To Get Out Of Jury Duty

Linky

Quote:
Faced with the prospect of serving as a juror and upset that County Judge R. James McCune Jr. denied her request for dismissal, the 23-year-old insulted the presiding judge by calling him a two-syllable curse word—a crude term referring to the anus — within earshot of several of the other 178 potential jurors seated in the Jury Assembly Room.
I bet this works every time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry, didn't read the article, just read the excerpt. Guess I am a good legal adviser... 8)

Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"I didn’t know I would go to jail for freedom of speech.”

Almost brought tears to my eyes I was laughing so hard..
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

"Finding no urgency in her situation, McCune denied her request for dismissal and ordered her to take a seat with the rest of the jury pool.
That did not deter Muller, who re-entered the line and this time, threw in the claim that she was “a racist,” in efforts to cast herself as someone unable to be a fair and impartial juror.
“I just didn’t want to do jury duty. That’s the best excuse there was,” Muller said later."

At ripe old age of 23, she sure deserves a few days of the jail's hospitality.

Perhaps she needs to find a new method on how to make friends and influence people.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Judge, I am a busy man, short on time and Jury Duty is costing me money. So with that said let's get moving and bring the guilty party into court, give them a fair trial and hang them. :-)
Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"After having been arrested several times, I've come to the conclusion that the police and prosecutors are a bunch of liars and scumbags who will do anything to convict the first person they come across in the pursuit of a suspect.

But I'll try to keep an open mind."

See if you get that last sentence all the way out before the prosecutor asks that you be excused.

I'm pretty sure the caption on this picture involves chianti and fava beans...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bilde.jpg (25.0 KB, 3 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Before being questioned by the defense and prosecuting attorneys, the judge asked the group of prospective jurors if there was any reason they could not serve if selected. One guy raised his hand and said, "I dropped my mom off at the grocery store this morning and have to go back to pick her up."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I got out of jury duty once by saying that everything I had read about the case had already convinced me he was guilty, but if they still needed me, I would be willing to serve.......

I was excused 3 minutes later..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

On her charge, Muller could have faced up to six months in prison and a $500 court fine.

She got off light....

The problem is that different jurisdictions have different rules.... here, everybody sits through voir dire (sp?) and THEN they make their pick... so even if you say the worst thing possible... you get to sit your butt down and wait...

As for your sentence CFB... there was this lady who said something along that line about 15 times during one panel I was on.... they then started to ask 'does anybody except juror XX have an issue with this?'....
Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #10

I always get excused challenged off jury duty. Defense lawyers do not like retired army officers. I wonder why?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I always get excused challenged off jury duty. Defense lawyers do not like retired army officers. I wonder why?
Probably because you're one of those cantankerous old fogies who expects people to accept responsibility for their foolishness.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I saw one guy get tossed in 2 seconds for declaring that he'd never find anyone guilty unless there was full DNA evidence of everything.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #13

I normally don't get past the questionnaire they send out.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #14

Just say "Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!"
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My buddy got off (years ago) just by wearing a Steal Your Face t-shirt under his nice white shirt and tie. Never said a word.

Harley
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #16

I go along with the old fogies and taking responsibility for your actions line to get you off jury duty. I guess I am an old fogie and I think you should take responsibility for what you do. I think a defense attorney would want a jury that had a few DUI's, some drug interactions, and a few bleeding hearts just out of college thrown in...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #17

Silly me, I just answer the questions honestly and serve if they ask me to.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yea, the 2 week trial that I was on was very interesting. A 3 way law suit. It did feel good to 'serve' and do my part.

It was country club hours compared to my real job. The best part, my real job still paid me and I got a little bit of money for being a juror too!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Silly you probably never gets called to the courtroom with the usually non-functional air conditioning while its 110 out. I'm betting that silly you's wife also didnt work 12 hour night shifts at the hospital while the two of you had a 12 month old, which made even the 8 hour jury selection process a major horror show.

Oh and the last trial they tried to select me for was an expected 5-6 week one. Silly you probably got a 2 hour 'lets make a deal' selection, right?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
They don't like cops on the jury. It keeps me off the jury.