How To Get Out Of Jury Duty

poboy

Recycles dryer sheets
Linky

Faced with the prospect of serving as a juror and upset that County Judge R. James McCune Jr. denied her request for dismissal, the 23-year-old insulted the presiding judge by calling him a two-syllable curse word—a crude term referring to the anus — within earshot of several of the other 178 potential jurors seated in the Jury Assembly Room.
I bet this works every time.

Sorry, didn't read the article, just read the excerpt. Guess I am a good legal adviser... 8)

Last edited:
"I didn’t know I would go to jail for freedom of speech.”

:2funny:

Almost brought tears to my eyes I was laughing so hard..

"Finding no urgency in her situation, McCune denied her request for dismissal and ordered her to take a seat with the rest of the jury pool.
That did not deter Muller, who re-entered the line and this time, threw in the claim that she was “a racist,” in efforts to cast herself as someone unable to be a fair and impartial juror.
“I just didn’t want to do jury duty. That’s the best excuse there was,” Muller said later."

At ripe old age of 23, she sure deserves a few days of the jail's hospitality.

Perhaps she needs to find a new method on how to make friends and influence people.
rolleyes.gif

Judge, I am a busy man, short on time and Jury Duty is costing me money. So with that said let's get moving and bring the guilty party into court, give them a fair trial and hang them. :)

"After having been arrested several times, I've come to the conclusion that the police and prosecutors are a bunch of liars and scumbags who will do anything to convict the first person they come across in the pursuit of a suspect.

But I'll try to keep an open mind."

See if you get that last sentence all the way out before the prosecutor asks that you be excused.

I'm pretty sure the caption on this picture involves chianti and fava beans...

Before being questioned by the defense and prosecuting attorneys, the judge asked the group of prospective jurors if there was any reason they could not serve if selected. One guy raised his hand and said, "I dropped my mom off at the grocery store this morning and have to go back to pick her up."

I got out of jury duty once by saying that everything I had read about the case had already convinced me he was guilty, but if they still needed me, I would be willing to serve.......

I was excused 3 minutes later..........:)

On her charge, Muller could have faced up to six months in prison and a $500 court fine.

She got off light....

The problem is that different jurisdictions have different rules.... here, everybody sits through voir dire (sp?) and THEN they make their pick... so even if you say the worst thing possible... you get to sit your butt down and wait...

As for your sentence CFB... there was this lady who said something along that line about 15 times during one panel I was on.... they then started to ask 'does anybody except juror XX have an issue with this?'....

I always get excused challenged off jury duty. Defense lawyers do not like retired army officers. I wonder why?

I always get excused challenged off jury duty. Defense lawyers do not like retired army officers. I wonder why?

Probably because you're one of those cantankerous old fogies who expects people to accept responsibility for their foolishness.:)

I saw one guy get tossed in 2 seconds for declaring that he'd never find anyone guilty unless there was full DNA evidence of everything.

Just say "Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!"

My buddy got off (years ago) just by wearing a Steal Your Face t-shirt under his nice white shirt and tie. Never said a word.

Harley

I go along with the old fogies and taking responsibility for your actions line to get you off jury duty. I guess I am an old fogie and I think you should take responsibility for what you do. I think a defense attorney would want a jury that had a few DUI's, some drug interactions, and a few bleeding hearts just out of college thrown in...

Silly me, I just answer the questions honestly and serve if they ask me to.

Yea, the 2 week trial that I was on was very interesting. A 3 way law suit. It did feel good to 'serve' and do my part.

It was country club hours compared to my real job. The best part, my real job still paid me and I got a little bit of money for being a juror too!

Silly me, I just answer the questions honestly and serve if they ask me to.

Silly you probably never gets called to the courtroom with the usually non-functional air conditioning while its 110 out. I'm betting that silly you's wife also didnt work 12 hour night shifts at the hospital while the two of you had a 12 month old, which made even the 8 hour jury selection process a major horror show.

Oh and the last trial they tried to select me for was an expected 5-6 week one. Silly you probably got a 2 hour 'lets make a deal' selection, right?

Last edited:
Silly you probably never gets called to the courtroom with the usually non-functional air conditioning while its 110 out. I'm betting that silly you's wife also didnt work 12 hour night shifts at the hospital while the two of you had a 12 month old, which made even the 8 hour jury selection process a major horror show.

Oh and the last trial they tried to select me for was an expected 5-6 week one. Silly you probably got a 2 hour 'lets make a deal' selection, right?

hmmmm..... around here you do not have to serve if you are the primary child care provider of a young-un..... need to move to a more advanced locale... such as TEXAS :D (then again, I can not speak for all of Texas... only Harris County)...

I forgot, you're the only person in the world who has anything difficult in life. Allow me to shed some tears for you. This cost me in money and time required to catch up on my work.

I sat in a crowded and hot courtroom for half a day before being selected for an attempted murder trial which went on for a couple days.

Allow me to share some ideas with you.

1. Hire a baby sitter
2. Cowboy up a little and learn not to bitch about the heat, it isn't going to kill you
3. You aren't the only person in the world married to somebody who works nights. Perhaps since you're retired she doesn't need the differential pay.
4. Consider that maybe you might be in front of a jury some day and you might want it to be filled with people who take their civic duty seriously.

Aww, aint it easy to judge when you dont know anything?

1. We'd just moved to the area and didnt know any
2. Even a cowboy tough guy like you would have bitched a little about sitting in a room shoulder to shoulder with almost 100 people in a 110 degree room for two days. Did I mention that they required long pants, and shoes with socks in the courtroom?
3. She doesnt work nights anymore. In fact, she hardly works! But if you knew anything about hospital work, you'd know that a lot of people have to start on the night shift and wait for day shifts to open up, based on seniority.
4. I'd like to be in front of a jury of people who wanted to be jurors, not people who werent smart enough to come up with an excuse.

So basically for 2 days my wife came home from a 12 hour, took the baby while I ran out the door, I baked for 8 hours while she tried to stay awake with our son until I got back, and then she got in a couple of hours of sleep before going back to work. Oh, and being selected to the jury could have meant a couple of months of that.

Sort of breaks into my idea of civil duty a little bit.

Aww, aint it easy to judge when you dont know anything?

1. We'd just moved to the area and didnt know any
2. Even a cowboy tough guy like you would have bitched a little about sitting in a room shoulder to shoulder with almost 100 people in a 110 degree room for two days. Did I mention that they required long pants, and shoes with socks in the courtroom?
3. She doesnt work nights anymore. In fact, she hardly works! But if you knew anything about hospital work, you'd know that a lot of people have to start on the night shift and wait for day shifts to open up, based on seniority.

1. Point taken.
2. What courtroom doesn't?
3. My wife is a nurse too, but you're right you're the only person who knows anything about hospital work :rolleyes:

Right now the only people who do serve are people who can't get out of it. Perhaps that explains the verdicts we see so often?

Back
Top Bottom