Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bonfire and cremation. Let burn for 1/2 an hour before roasting weenies. Finish with marshmallows for S'mores.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
I killed 17 chipmonks one summer .....Within 2 days they'd start to get real stinky, and I'd have to take the bag out of the garage and put it in the back of my pick-up truck until garbage day because of the stink.
I guess there are some advantages to living in upstate New York in February!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Mom's cat dies. Ground frozen. Buries in snow on back patio. Spring arrives. Snow melts. Windows open. Oops says Mom. DH buries cat.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would have nailed the little bugger to a stake and stuck him out by the bird feeder as a warning to any of the other little thieves. Bwahahaha!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #45

I guess that's one of the benefits of living in the Ozarks..You just take it to the food bank...Unless you happen to find it on, say Super Bowl Sunday, then I revert to the finders keepers rule
Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #46

I'll see if I can find my receipe for squirel stew ... oh, he's 2 months expired; never mind. Probably doesn't even stink any more.

I say burial. Wouldn't want any predators picking at him if he's been poisoned.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

I may not understand things very well here, but if you put the critter in a trash bag, wouldn't it take forever for it to decompose at the local dump? Compared to a relatively short time in the ground? I would just bury it, or throw it out of the way in the yard somewhere.

I found a freshly dead squirrel in the yard last summer and just threw him out in a more vacant area of the yard... within a couple of hours a turkey vulture showed up and I never saw the carcass again. I think they only like freshly dead stuff though :-)
Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey! You could do what someone did this morning...they stuffed it in my mail box! After double checking the "dead part", I pulled it out and drop kicked it into the ditch....after some real kind words!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHundt View Post
I may not understand things very well here, but if you put the critter in a trash bag, wouldn't it take forever for it to decompose at the local dump? Compared to a relatively short time in the ground? I would just bury it, or throw it out of the way in the yard somewhere.
The ground is frozen. Yard is too small (city lot, backyard) to just throw it somewhere.

Good news is it went out in the municipal trash pickup with no problem. I've seen these city workers just reach in to grab bags, to cut down on picking up a trash can and putting it back, and I was bit afraid of him taking hold of a dead animal in a bag....
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have buried small dead critters in the compost.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #51

In the real world, animals die and the scavengers take care of them. I would dump him in a nearby ditch for the other critters to enjoy. If you have any bad neighbors nearby...their front yard would be a good place...
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #52

Time to to find another dead squirrel, or other animal. Speaking of which, today I was changing the filter on the furnace and found another dead mouse. Last year I found one too. They, thus far, have been on the fan side of the filter which indicates they "live among us" (going down the output side of the heat). I did cover the critter up with some of the plastic wrap that came with the new filter and then placed him (I checked) in the trash container for next weeks haul to the land fill.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

True story. Dear SIL goes out to her car one morning and notices a rather bad odor. There are skunks in the area so she chocks it up to that. She drives to work and parks. Her co-worker comes in and asks if anyone notices the stench in the parking lot. SIL leaves work and now the odor is INSIDE the car. She manages to drive home with the windows down and asks her studly neighbor to have a look at her car. He bends down to check the right wheel well and promptly loses his lunch but manages to cough out the word "paw". As in dead racoon. SIL decides to get on the freeway hoping that the high speed will shake the coon loose. It doesn't work. She then drives to her car mechanic who is like family and begs him to remove it. He won't. She finally calls animal control and a petite 90lb young lady puts on elbow length gloves and pulls it out. It took a complete car detailing to get the odor out.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
True story. Dear SIL goes out to her car one morning and notices a rather bad odor. There are skunks in the area so she chocks it up to that. She drives to work and parks. Her co-worker comes in and asks if anyone notices the stench in the parking lot. SIL leaves work and now the odor is INSIDE the car. She manages to drive home with the windows down and asks her studly neighbor to have a look at her car. He bends down to check the right wheel well and promptly loses his lunch but manages to cough out the word "paw". As in dead racoon. SIL decides to get on the freeway hoping that the high speed will shake the coon loose. It doesn't work. She then drives to her car mechanic who is like family and begs him to remove it. He won't. She finally calls animal control and a petite 90lb young lady puts on elbow length gloves and pulls it out. It took a complete car detailing to get the odor out.
I got off easy. My critter chose a good place to die.

You remind me of the times I've been stopped as I backed out of my driveway by a neighbor screaming loudly, about a cat under my car. I only stopped the first time, confused about the fuss. From then on, I said if the cat is too dumb to stay there, that's the cat's problem.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
Back when i was 1/2 owner of a small town import auto shop a good customer drove from the coast with a cat in the engine compartment of her car. We removed it in pieces as it was wrapped around lots of the engine plumbing. Nasty job. used several cans of engine cleaner to try and excise the smell. Spent a fair amount of time doing it, charged the customer 1.5 hours + cleaner cost and she was ticked at the high cost. Gotta say i'd rather do a tuneup than disassemble a cat from above and below a car. or brakes. or almost anything mechanical.