Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I've used Ortho Brush-B-Gon on several occasions, and found it to be quite effective. I just mixed up a small batch and sprayed the stumps of the trees/shrubs right after I cut 'em off. Sometimes it took to applications a few days apart, but they wuz killed dead!
YEAH ! Fight fire with fire!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #22

i have this little thorn/pricker bush that has plagued me for 5 years. first, i whacked it down to 1" above soil with a hatchet....low and behold it grew right back the next spring....i let it go for a while just because i was so impressed.

soon thereafter i said enough is enough, mutilated it with axes and sawzalls....doused it in roundup....3 months later it sent up more shoots

then i tried to dig down and get the roots....but it was impossible...even paid my 16 yr old brother 50 bucks if he could get it....no go.....and even though 1/2 of the roots were severed...it grew again.... i doused it in gasoline.....still growing

so i gave up...and just prune it now...very healthy looking bush too....
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
i have this little thorn/pricker bush that has plagued me for 5 years. first, i whacked it down to 1' above soil with a hatchet....low and behold it grew right back the next spring....i let it go for a while just because i was so impressed.

soon thereafter i said enough is enough, mutilated it with axes and sawzalls....doused it in roundup....3 months later it sent up more shoots

then i tried to dig down and get the roots....but it was impossible...even paid my 16 yr old brother 50 bucks if he could get it....no go.....and even though 1/2 of the roots were severed...it grew again.... i doused it in gasoline.....still growing

so i gave up...and just prune it now...very healthy looking bush too....
After all that trying to kill it, and it being a strong, healthy survivor and looking good now....it will probably succumb to some mild fungal disease and die off on it's own. You try to kill it, and it lives. Then you decide to let it live, and it dies! Been there, done that!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am kind of wary of poisons, and I am not going to hitch my car to the thing. Did plenty of that with my truck and tractor, but I don't have either any longer. So it'll be the pick and shovel try for me. Cheaper too.

Ha
Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. I am kind of wary of poisons, and I am not going to hitch my car to the thing. Did plenty of that with my truck and tractor, but I don't have either any longer. So it'll be the pick and shovel try for me. Cheaper too.

Ha
I definitely would skip the chain to the bumper trick. A suddenly loose chain can do spectacular things to your rear window - or you.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote