Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
That was kind of my plan too, but they still managed to waste my time. It's what they do. If I wasn't sitting with my DD and DW, I might have walked, but they know that you must have some reluctance to walking, even if it's only because you'd need to drive X miles to another stealership.

My plan included having internet quotes in hand that were at a level I was willing to pay. But they played games. They write up the deal and it doesn't come back with the right price. Do you simply get up and walk out, or do you say "That's $1,800 too high, what happened to the internet deal?" and let them sharpen their pencil? I did the latter. Then I figured if the other dealer could get below MSRP by 10%, why can't you do that too, so once I had the internet offer, I made an offer that was a bit more than 10% off MSRP and ended up getting that.

Each time they pulled the "I don't know if they'll approve this, I'll go to bat for you...", DD and I giggled and reenacted the scene from "Fargo" where the salesman goes into the manager's office and talks about sports while the customer waits, lol!

https://youtu.be/E5gwc4UizUc?t=15
Interesting, this never happened to me. I got the right price at the dealer, called to confirm the car and got there to get paperwork done. No haggling. But I didn't have any kids with me.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I think my plan will be to see what I can work through Costco when it comes time to buy. That is probably the best I can do.
I tried this last December when Costco had a year end deal of an additional $700 prepaid Visa if you bought a vehicle using their "program". What a disaster....two GMC dealers tried to put me into a truck $20 K more than the options I wanted. I even printed out a "build sheet" for the truck I wanted and they had the gall to say that the option package I wanted was "not available" ().

They also said that Costco buyers get "supplier" pricing which in the case I compared, was several thousand dollars MORE than if I just walked in off the street and priced the same truck.

In the end, I did not buy using Costco. It was a complete waste of time.

Honestly, does anyone here think that just for being a member of a discount club will get you a special deal from car dealers who would sell you their mother for the right price? I'm not even going to mention the lying and underhanded tactics they pull on all customers.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #63

I make out the check including tax and license before I go to the dealer. They squawk and moan and try to sell you stuff but end up giving you the car (which you previously negotiated over the phone).
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #64
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Are you still thinking of buying another car, and if so what kind? Or did you buy one already? Or maybe you decided to stick with your Honda?

I thought that thread of yours on the topic was fascinating, especially since you and I seem to have pretty much the same taste in cars (both liked our Solaras a lot, both turned off by too much electronics in some cars, and so on).

So far I am still sticking with my 2009 Venza, mostly because I can't seem to find any new car that appeals to me. Finding the right car is even harder for me than buying it.
After car shopping which drove me nuts I decided to wait until the new models come out and then try to deal on a 2017 .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't leave us hanging - what did you buy?
Ford F-150. Traded my 2009 F-150. I traded a little earlier than I would have liked at 92000 miles, but the midwest winters have already started the rusting process on the old truck and I needed to trade before it got worse.

But the radio antenna doesn't clear the top of the garage door opening, so I need to do some antenna surgery before I can park it in the garage.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're in the process of relieving our wayward daughter of her 2012 Honda Civic SI and letting her buy and pay for her future transportation. Some guy was caught with illicit drugs driving our car--and the vehicle was taken into possession by the police to the tune of $550 wrecker and storage charges. She's had her chance.

I got the bright idea to take it and my 2008 Lexus IS250 and trade them for a new Civic EX--with little $ difference.

Went to my local Honda dealer and the whole lot was 2016 model vehicles. ? ? ? They must have really scratched Honda's back to take'em. But they added an incredible $3.5K in paint treatments, mud flaps, coon tails, etc. on a secondary window sticker. Any time I see that kind of activity, I run from that dealer because they're going to try to hit me with a $699 Documentary Fee which is 100% profit.

I check online to a home owned big city Honda dealership 2 hours away and find a lot full of 2017 model Civics. They're not a slam and jamb operation. Anyone ought to be able to get a deal on a HR-V model, as they've got'tem running out their ears.

After a little reconditioning, I hope to head out of town, and expect my 24 years in the automobile business will allow me to make a decent deal. I just tell'em on front end I don't buy any extras and will pay cash. I'm also a completely trained F&I guy, so the hawks don't mess with me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

But the radio antenna doesn't clear the top of the garage door opening, so I need to do some antenna surgery before I can park it in the garage.
Good info. I wasn't sure if pickups were getting taller or maybe I was getting shorter...
Old 05-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I make out the check including tax and license before I go to the dealer. They squawk and moan and try to sell you stuff but end up giving you the car (which you previously negotiated over the phone).
Ooh, I like it! Having been subjected to way too many delay tactics in the sales process in the past (yeah, I was stupid enough to fall for the "let me run this by the manager" trick), I'm also thinking of telling them, "you have one hour to do this deal or I'm walking".
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Good info. I wasn't sure if pickups were getting taller or maybe I was getting shorter...
Same here. I do feel like a little old man driving this thing.

This one is about 2" taller than my last one. I need to cut about 4" off this antenna - last one 2".
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #70

I also used the Internet dealer bid method last time I bought a car. Edmunds.com had a good tool back then. When DH was buying his last car, one of the salesmen asked him "what would it take for you to buy this car today?" This was after we had informed him we had just started our shopping process, so my husband replied "Sell it to me for $10." That got them to cut the high pressure tactics. We bought from a different dealer.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
After car shopping which drove me nuts I decided to wait until the new models come out and then try to deal on a 2017 .
Oh good idea! Thanks, and I hope you find just the right car and that you let us know all about it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Or, you could have a taller garage door installed. I know, that's probably nuts but the former owners of my house put in an extra tall garage door, so I thought of that solution.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Or, you could have a taller garage door installed. I know, that's probably nuts but the former owners of my house put in an extra tall garage door, so I thought of that solution.
Or I could just build another garage! I tried that a few years ago and the boss said no.

I have 7' high doors, with the door casing at around 6'-10". I should have put in 8' high doors when I built the house. It would be tough now. I'd have to rip out brick, redo the header. Lots of work. Better to build another garage.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #74

Quote:
I am doing this in my house. One is an 8 foot door, the other 9 foot. The lower garage door is 7 foot 9 inches.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #75

Quote:
We did that when contracting to have the house built, I think it was ~$150 extra so there would never be a cheaper time to do it. Lots of extras were extremely cheap (this was 2001) - extra electrical outlets were $40 each, ceiling fan mounting boxes, telephone and cable TV outlets all the same price so I got a lot of those figuring there would never be a lower price on them.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #76

There's always a car vending machine. "This 150-foot-tall 'vending machine' will serve you a Ferrari:"
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/16/news...ore/index.html
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was going to buy a closed out 2016, then the 2017 model came out with all kinds of standard safety features and I decided the difference in price (especially averaged over the next 10 years) made the added cost of the 2017 reasonable. I guess if is like the OMY syndrome.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

One of my favorite plays is when we are at an impasse but within $500-1,000 of each other (out-the-door price), write the dealer a check for what I think is a fair price but don't sign it... give it to them and tell them it is my final offer... it is fun to watch them squirm with a check in hand.

I've done this 3 times and it worked twice.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Honestly, does anyone here think that just for being a member of a discount club will get you a special deal from car dealers who would sell you their mother for the right price? .
Just last year I used Costco's discount service and I think I got a great deal on the car salesman's mother.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Just last year I used Costco's discount service and I think I got a great deal on the car salesman's mother.
Does she do piggy-back rides?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote