Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Just found a local gun shop and range, the first training session is on this Friday.
Great. Please let us know how it goes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, go burn some powder and have fun!

I love the shooting sports, rifle, pistol, sporting clays, skeet & trap.

Another hobby I will re-visit in my retirement -
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Just found a local gun shop and range, the first training session is on this Friday.
Have fun- shooting is lots of fun!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto here! Go out and have fun shooting. Forget the rang. Have a friend or relative who owns and shoots fire arms take you out in the country, at the farm or where ever and set up a variety of targets at different ranges and have some fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
Ditto here! Go out and have fun shooting. Forget the rang. Have a friend or relative who owns and shoots fire arms take you out in the country, at the farm or where ever and set up a variety of targets at different ranges and have some fun!
Good advice, except the forget the range part, which is bad advice. I've got a couple of friends with bullet scars from learning from friends and relatives (although beer was also involved). Once you know what you are doing going out and having fun blowing up cans or whatever is fine. But learn safety and proper use first.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Please make sure you get yourself quality hearing protection as well as eye protection. And remember the 4 rules of gun safety:

• Every Gun Is Always Loaded
• Never Point the Gun at Anything You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
• Always Be Sure Of Your Target and What Is Behind It
• Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You are Ready to Shoot
+2

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP is in KY, so open carry does not require a permit, but concealed carry does require permit.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I hesitate to make this post, as it does not answer the OP's question; but it sort of fits, and doesn't merit its own thread.

I always wonder how much training and practice the people have had, who manage to shoot a home intruder in the middle of the night. (Something I would have absolutely no remorse about doing).

I would first have to fumble my glasses onto my face. Then uncramp my osteoarthritic hands enough to handle the gun without shooting myself or someone I care about. And be able to aim in the dark. All while being scared and furious at the same time.

How the heck do they do it??
I think adrenaline would help with the hands. I wear contacts and glasses are not an option. What I've done to alleviate it, is to practice sighting with both eyes. That way, I can use the better uncorrected eye, knowing if it has a tendency to shoot left or right. Also, you're likely talking distances of 5 yards or less in a house, not a target 15-25 yards out. I've also practiced shooting one handed because your other hand might be occupied.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

The biggest contributions seemed to be from my reloading of the empty brass. Tumbling the brass indoors and the multiple touching of the brass while reloading seemed to be a big contributor.
Big plus +1! Years ago when I started reloading my doc actually told my to do my tumbling in a vented area and wash thoroughly after. Getting lead into your mouth and lungs is not good.

Several people I shot with had to wear masks when shooting to help with lead levels, all were reloaders.

I got rid of all my reloading equipment when I reduced my shooting, starting to get back into it and may have to pick reloading up again. Though now I am doing more rifle shooting and fighting with a cross-dominant eye issue that was a lot easier to deal with when shooting a pistol.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #50

If you like research, Chuck Hawks has built a comprehensive blog about firearms and nearly a third of his "library" is free to the public without signing in. Trying a variety of pistols in your own hands is best, but reading can pique your interest in a caliber or maker that may not be available at the nearest gun store. I also find value in disinterested advice rather than from a salesman.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Texas so I am not sure what other states offer the Virtual Training from Gander Mountain or similar. I have talked to a few people that were first timers with weapons and it was very helpful to them. Basically my understanding is they have taken technology and used it to take firearm training to the next level "electronically." I haven't taken this training personally myself.
There have been allot of good suggestions made here but IMO do not get you first experiences training with a friend etc because some of us have accidentally developed bad habits and don't realize it. Not everyone but several of "us" have over the years. Definitely protect your ears and eyes and when you buy your weapon buy quality. Quality doesn't mean expensive. I see someone mentioned a model 1911, not meant negative but IMO not the best "first" selection. On the shooters insurance chose wisely if you go this route and read the fine print. As we all know keep your weapons secure from kids and "grown up kids". The new biometric technology for safes has come a long way and is highly recommended for looking into for events that go bump in the night. Definitely get to know your laws and the jurisdiction in which you will have your weapon with you. In getting to know the laws I wouldn't take the average "joes" logic but take it upon yourself to gather this knowledge. Most of all enjoy yourself in this new experience. Good luck!!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
+2
that's why I always keep my guns loaded - safer that way
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #53

Good advice on seeking out a range that offers instructions with an instructor.

[mod edit]

I bought my sig p229 10 years ago at cabelas. It was around $550 then...now the same exact gun is priced between $900-$1000. Its ridiculous. I like my sig but ill never purchase one again. Ill go with a glock for my next gun. At least they're reasonably priced.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #54
Administrator

Sorry, folks

Closed Thread