How to own a handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingaway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I feel that I need to have a handgun, not for a real need to defense or something like that, just think I need one in my life. So please do not get into politics or argue if I should have a gun or not. I just need some information. I am in Kentucky.

Since I have never touched a gun. How should I learn to shoot a gun? Should I buy a (used and cheap) gun first, then learn to shoot; or should I learn to shoot first (how and where), then buy a good gun?

(I think this is similar to learn to drive and own a car.)

Some gun shops have indoor ranges where you can shoot various guns to see what you like best.

Just replying so I'll be alerted to other replies. This is something I am considering as well.

Absolutely seek out some training. You might want to see if the NRA has any classes in your area or via a local gun shop and/or range. In general, I would say get training first, try out a few different pistols and then buy what you are most comfortable with and can shoot well.

Go to a gun range try out a few. You can have an instructor recommend and teach you how to use one.
Then buy a good gun and go to the range and practice regularly
A 9mm is probably a good choice..

Definitely training first. An NRA class or something similar offered by a range. Once you're familiar with the mechanics of a gun, try them out. I think you'll find that it's a fun and rewarding hobby. Sort of like golf, in that it only takes one good shot to keep you coming back.

+1 on some training. Your local range should be able to set you up. After that, rent a few different flavors of handgun to see what you like. I would suggest a 9MM semi-automatic, a .22 of some sort, and a .38/.357 revolver. If this is essentially a toy, it doesn't matter what you buy so long as it is fun to shoot. If this is for zombies/self defense/coyotes, do some research before you buy.

Definitely training first. An NRA class or something similar offered by a range. Once you're familiar with the mechanics of a gun, try them out. I think you'll find that it's a fun and rewarding hobby. Sort of like golf, in that it only takes one good shot to keep you coming back.

I completely agree.

Training first, is imo, one of the most important things you can do to ensure you are a safe and effective shooter. This is preferred over even "having a friend teach" because you are more likely to be taught how to do things "right" from the beginning when using an instructor vs. someone who may not be as competent as they believe they are. Also, always remember to follow the four rules of firearm safety.

In our area, there are many local gun shops with associated indoor shooting ranges. In Kentucky there must be many and they will be easy to find with a google search with terms like "gun range" or "indoor shooting range", etc. Just go to one or two and have some fun. No need to buy a gun until you have had training, practiced, and have had some fun.

"indoor shooting range"

Oh yeah: for your first outing I would pick an outdoor range over an indoor one if you have a choice. Its a lot easier to concentrate and learn when you are not deafened every 3 seconds by the dude with the magnum cannon two lanes over. Being outdoors gives you a little less noise to contend with.

Oh yeah: for your first outing I would pick an outdoor range over an indoor one if you have a choice. Its a lot easier to concentrate and learn when you are not deafened every 3 seconds by the dude with the magnum cannon two lanes over. Being outdoors gives you a little less noise to contend with.
Not to mention lead dust.

If nothing else from training sticks, just this one : Never let the gun be pointed at anything that is not ok to be shot.

This also applies to when you think i't not loaded.

I can't count the number of accidental discharges I have seen, including an embarrassingly high number in law enforcement.

Since I have never touched a gun. How should I learn to shoot a gun? Should I buy a (used and cheap) gun first, then learn to shoot; or should I learn to shoot first (how and where), then buy a good gun?

Take a look at the local gun shops in your area and get a feel for what training they have. Since you've never handled a firearm before I'd recommend a basic or entry level safe handling course. There are many flavors of these but generally speaking the NRA designed courses would be best for you. Not very expensive at all. And they are ~very~ safety oriented.

Hopefully the course will allow you to handle both a semiautomatic pistol and a revolver. Then you can make decision as to which type you'd like to own and become proficient with ( maybe both! ). At that point take your time and research what's available before purchasing anything. Maybe you have an acquaintance or friend that's already in the hobby and can help you shop around.

Since you're new to the hobby I'd recommend a new purchase, as used firearms (as in anything) may have hidden problems that you'd be hard pressed to find.

You can then take subsequent courses on shooting skills if you like.

Good luck!

_B

I feel that I need to have a handgun, not for a real need to defense or something like that, just think I need one in my life. So please do not get into politics or argue if I should have a gun or not. I just need some information. I am in Kentucky.

go to a gun shop that has a range and take a lesson from an instructor

if you don't and you use a semi, you can cut your hand pretty badly if you don't hold the pistol correctly

I have 2 glocks, a kahr p9 (for cc) and I used to have a springfield xd9 - the springfield was by far the most accurate

Please make sure you get yourself quality hearing protection as well as eye protection. And remember the 4 rules of gun safety:

• Every Gun Is Always Loaded
• Never Point the Gun at Anything You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
• Always Be Sure Of Your Target and What Is Behind It
• Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You are Ready to Shoot

Go to a sketchy part of town. Ask a couple people. Shouldn't take long.

Please make sure you get yourself quality hearing protection as well as eye protection. And remember the 4 rules of gun safety:

• Every Gun Is Always Loaded
• Never Point the Gun at Anything You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
• Always Be Sure Of Your Target and What Is Behind It
• Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You are Ready to Shoot
+1
and get NRA training if available

Thanks for all the replies. Just found a local gun shop and range, the first training session is on this Friday.

One other comment on shooting, its a perishable skill that demands regular practice. I used to shoot USPSA before my eyesight deteriorated, and would shoot 2X per week.

Also, learning tactics, if for home defense, is equally as important.

Thanks for all the replies. Just found a local gun shop and range, the first training session is on this Friday.
Super. DW wants to go to a "first shots" course, so I'll be joining her for that at a local range in a few weeks. I've always enjoyed shooting, but haven't been in a while.
There's a range near me that rents handguns for $10/hour. The sweet part is that there's no limit on the number of guns you can shoot in that hour for that same $10, they'll keep swapping 'em out as long as you like (some poor schmuck has a full-time job cleaning all that hardware!). I've got my eye on a couple different models, and this looks like a great way to try out a lot of different things before making a commitment. There's no substitute for actually shooting a weapon to determine if it is the right one.

My first recommendation would be to get a semi-auto .22 LR, but that depends on the availability of .22 LR ammunition in your area. My reasoning is that you can shoot a lot of rounds through your weapon at a cheaper cost. For a larger caliber weapon, I went with a 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm because of less recoil than a larger caliber round. I have shot a 1911 .45 ACP model and actually had good first round accuracy, but I found accuracy degraded by the 4-5th round. Where as, my 9mm had consistent accuracy through out the shooting session. That said, I'll likely get a Glock with a caliber of .40 or higher as my next gun.

While training is recommended, it may not be readily available in all areas (my area a few years back). In lieu of or in addition to training, there are several good youtube instruction videos available. Make use of them and when you think you've found a gun you want, look at reviews/videos specifically for it. It also helps if you can go to the range an experienced shooter. Also, I've gotten useful advice from others at the range.

all my handguns except for the .357 revolver are 9mm because cheap ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom