Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to Price Huge 400 Elephant Figurine Collection
Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to Price Huge 400 Elephant Figurine Collection

My parents are moving into a retirement home and are selling off / donating / throwing out their possessions. My mother's realtor (my parents have sold their house) has found a possible buyer for the elephant collection. The realtor wants my mother to come up with an asking price.
There must be 400 various elephants, almost all of them look pretty nice. Not many of the gaudy toy-like elephants. Most are carved wood or porcelain or brass or glass. Ranging from thimble-sized to one foot tall. No jade, no ivory, no precious metals, as far as I know.

Many of them are in groups, one following the other, increasing in size. Some are bejeweled. Just about every aspect you can think of. Since she has 400, if she charged as little as $1 each, that would be $400 for the lot, which seems like a lot, but isn't really much per elephant. Selling them individually would be a huge task.

We've had antique experts look at them and they are sort of clueless about what to do with them. I think they said to donate them.

I suppose a gift shop could resell them one at a time and make a decent profit.

She was going to donate to some place, but now the possible buyer has appeared. Family members have already taken as many as possible. Any ideas

Thanks
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, there is a GOP convention coming up.

But seriously, there are probably a couple that are valuable and the rest can go to the Salvation Army. You can look on eBay and see if you can spot the valuable ones among the sold items.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...gurine&_sop=16
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Would the buyer keep them in a collection and is this something that would make you Mom happy? I'd might see if I could just press the potential buyer to make an offer and go from there.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Anything here? I have a huge collection of rare and antique elephant statues
Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, there is a GOP convention coming up.

But seriously, there are probably a couple that are valuable and the rest can go to the Salvation Army. You can look on eBay and see if you can spot the valuable ones among the sold items.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...gurine&_sop=16

Seriously, I go to gop events all the time. Elephant figurines or jewelry are a top seller. Small pieces many times bring in 50-100 dollars. Contact your local republican chairperson. They may buy the entire group.

Info on the chairperson is usually registered with your county clerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

To reinforce what I said above, I was collecting erector sets for a while and am getting rid of them now. What I noticed on eBay was that I could sell one prized piece (like an electromagnet or motor) for more than an entire set.

So, picking out the very best stuff and tossing the rest may be not only easier, but more lucrative.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the replies. Just an update: My mom has offered them all to the prospective buyer for $400. No response yet. She's keeping about 30 of her favorites for herself, though. I started looking at completed sales on ebay to find prices and see if she has any expensive elephants and I just don't have the time and sanity to do it. I'm selling all her other stuff, too, and there is a tight deadline. Motivated seller here.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote