Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aged adhesive can be a bear to remove.
If the Goof Off (acetone and xylene) are mildly effective, a step-up would be to try Bestine solvent and thinner (heptane). It can be hard to find locally - check near the contact/rubber cement. I recommend using a paint fume respirator and rubber gloves when working with these volatile solvents.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestine-Solven...nt+and+thinner

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you love shopping for chemicals... or just plug in the blowdryer you own and heat the damn stickers up to very hot and lift them from the edge. After they are up there will be glue residue that can be removed with the various solvents - or Barkeeper's Friend. If the mentioned solvents can't penetrate or dissolve the rubbery tub stickers then they can only work at dissolving the glue at the perimeter of the sticker. Heat penetrates stickers (or much thicker floor tiles) post hasty. This summer I R&Red eight 1/8" thick well adhered stick down floor tiles in about 5 minutes each. Thin rubber anti-slip stickers should be faster.

edit: I note it is a cast iron tub - no worries. Fiberglass I'd be more cautious but still use heat.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

calmloki - I see the confusion, the thread title asks "how to remove old stickers?", I was reading the OP to mean - 'stickers have been removed, how to remove the residue'.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I agree on hair dryer. Try ketchup on one. I used it cleaning kitchen knobs. It worked so well I avoid eating it now
Ketchup probably worked because it contains vinegar, which is dilute acetic acid. The pH of vinegar is ~3.1. the pH of ketchup is ~3.9. A neutral pH is 7.0 on a logarithmic scale. Vinegar is, of course, an excellent household cleaner.

The pH of gastric acid (hydrochloride acid) is 1.5 to 3.5, much more acidic than ketchup or vinegar. Your stomach wall is designed to withstand this extreme acidity while you digest your food. So don't worry, ketchup is safe to consume, in moderation of course!
Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Try peanut butter. Seriously - not kidding. Don't remember where I heard it, but when nothing else seems to work, peanut butter does the trick.
+1 for the Peanut Butter camp.

Not sure how it will also work for very old adhesives though.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
calmloki - I see the confusion, the thread title asks "how to remove old stickers?", I was reading the OP to mean - 'stickers have been removed, how to remove the residue'.
And after rereading Brat's original post I think I'm wrong and you and most others have it right - she is just going for the residue. To quote Emily Litella, "never mind".
Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Job done!!!!

Those old non-skid 'flowers and butterflies' were held on to the tub surface by a very thin plastic film.

I used a hair dryer to warm each up then bathed it in acetone and carefully scraped the bottom of the tub with a glazier's razor blade to remove the plastic film after repeated applications of acetone. Rinsed the tub and applied Goo Gone as there were still sticky patches, wiped the tub, washed the tub with Simple Green, sprayed bleach on the tub. There is still a 'ghost' of a butterfly sticker but not noticeable unless you look close.

Odds are those non-skid flowers and butterflies were applied 30+ years ago.

Thank you all so much!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

So now, how about a little help for me. We left a couple of starfish drying on the glass tabletop on the patio table last year. I didn't notice when we put the table in the garage for the summer (snowbirds), but this year we have a ghost image of two starfish sort of etched in the glass. I tried washing it with windex and goof-off, but it's still there.

Then again, it's sort of cool looking, so if I can't get it off maybe I'll collect a few more starfish this year and do the whole tabletop.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So now, how about a little help for me. We left a couple of starfish drying on the glass tabletop on the patio table last year. I didn't notice when we put the table in the garage for the summer (snowbirds), but this year we have a ghost image of two starfish sort of etched in the glass. I tried washing it with windex and goof-off, but it's still there.

Then again, it's sort of cool looking, so if I can't get it off maybe I'll collect a few more starfish this year and do the whole tabletop.
Barkeepers Friend. rub lightly with moist paste, leave residue for 5 minutes or so, remove. Amazing stuff.