How to remove old stickers???

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have the challenge of removing the adhesive residue from very old non-slip 'flowers' from the bottom of an enameled cast iron tub. I have made some progress with Professional Goof Off spray, just some. I have also tried applying denatured alcohol. Is there a product that would be more effective?

Try peanut butter. Seriously - not kidding. Don't remember where I heard it, but when nothing else seems to work, peanut butter does the trick.

The goof off spray, or a similar type, will work the best. Most those sprays are like kerosene. WD-40 might also work.

Lay a paper towel over the residue, to make sure it stays saturated.

Scrape the sticker off first, if you have not already.

I've always had good luck using Goo Gone to remove adhesive residue.

The adhesive will be soluble in something. Try various solvents, water (unlikely since it's a bath tub), acetone, mineral spirits, xylene and a few others.

Fight fire with fire--duct tape or packing tape might pull it up. Car dealers took our city stickers off our traded-in cars with tape.

I agree on hair dryer. Try ketchup on one. I used it cleaning kitchen knobs. It worked so well I avoid eating it now :)

I've found nail polish remover often works well on adhesive residue.

WD-40. Used some just today to remove sticker residue from a tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Vote three for the hair dryer/heat gun. Works a treat on bumper stickers & glass decals. Used a heat gun to remove peel & stick floor tiles that had been down for ~ 15 years this summer. Problem with most non-paper decals or stickers is the adhesive remover can't get at the adhesive.

Last edited:
WD 40 is worth a try.

kerosene then hair dryer. No wait a minute. That removes eyebrows ....

Try Ajax, Comet, Barkeeper's Friend, or Bon Ami. But here's the catch. You must rub with quite a bit of pressure with "only" a layer or two of damp paper towel so that you get the cleanser pushed hard enough onto the ceramic.

You can't use a rag, sponge or such - as these will prevent the cleanser from doing what it's designed to do.

This is a strategy for ceramic - not good for fiberglass.

I have occasionally had success with Everclear (pure ethanol) when nothing else would work.

Boil some water on stove and pour it on the item you wish to remove. This has been very effective for me. Probably similar to hair dryer approach.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thanks all, I am working the list. Mineral spirits and non-acetone nail polish remover haven't put a dent in the residue. Off to Home Depot to pick up others suggested. I do have a hair dryer so will add that to the mix.

Last edited:
Aged adhesive can be a bear to remove.
If the Goof Off (acetone and xylene) are mildly effective, a step-up would be to try Bestine solvent and thinner (heptane). It can be hard to find locally - check near the contact/rubber cement. I recommend using a paint fume respirator and rubber gloves when working with these volatile solvents.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestine-Solve...9&sr=8-1&keywords=bestine+solvent+and+thinner

If you love shopping for chemicals... or just plug in the blowdryer you own and heat the damn stickers up to very hot and lift them from the edge. After they are up there will be glue residue that can be removed with the various solvents - or Barkeeper's Friend. If the mentioned solvents can't penetrate or dissolve the rubbery tub stickers then they can only work at dissolving the glue at the perimeter of the sticker. Heat penetrates stickers (or much thicker floor tiles) post hasty. This summer I R&Red eight 1/8" thick well adhered stick down floor tiles in about 5 minutes each. Thin rubber anti-slip stickers should be faster.

edit: I note it is a cast iron tub - no worries. Fiberglass I'd be more cautious but still use heat.

Last edited:
calmloki - I see the confusion, the thread title asks "how to remove old stickers?", I was reading the OP to mean - 'stickers have been removed, how to remove the residue'.

Last edited:
I agree on hair dryer. Try ketchup on one. I used it cleaning kitchen knobs. It worked so well I avoid eating it now :)

Ketchup probably worked because it contains vinegar, which is dilute acetic acid. The pH of vinegar is ~3.1. the pH of ketchup is ~3.9. A neutral pH is 7.0 on a logarithmic scale. Vinegar is, of course, an excellent household cleaner.

The pH of gastric acid (hydrochloride acid) is 1.5 to 3.5, much more acidic than ketchup or vinegar. Your stomach wall is designed to withstand this extreme acidity while you digest your food. So don't worry, ketchup is safe to consume, in moderation of course!

Try peanut butter. Seriously - not kidding. Don't remember where I heard it, but when nothing else seems to work, peanut butter does the trick.

+1 for the Peanut Butter camp.

Not sure how it will also work for very old adhesives though.

Back
Top Bottom