How to remove this Exhaust Fan Cover??

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So frustrating...Unable to figure out how to remove this exhaust fan cover to clean it. It does not twist off (it will twist, but only about 1/3 the way around). I am unable to pull it off. There are no screws.

Two of our toilets have this kind of exhaust fan cover directly above the toilet. There's no room for a ladder, so I have to stand on the toilet lid. I'm the one who has to do it, b/c Mr. A. is too big.

If anyone has dealt with this kind of cover, or can analyze it from the photo, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Amethyst

Attachments

• 2015_0411bathroomfan0002.jpg
    2015_0411bathroomfan0002.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 20
Try pulling it down. They usually have a pair of wire 'springs' holding them tight to the ceiling.

How much strength should I use? I'm slooowly recovering from a shoulder separation, so don't want to stir that up too much (hard enough reaching over my head).

A.

Try pulling it down. They usually have a pair of wire 'springs' holding them tight to the ceiling.

Bjorn is correct. I have exactly the same fixture. You shouldn't need much force to pull it down, but often it's stuck in the ceiling paint. In that case, gently lever between the ceiling and the fan casing to split the join. Or run a utility knife around it.

Once it's hanging down, you squeeze the spring legs together and unhook the whole thing. It will be obvious once you have it in front of you.

How much strength should I use? I'm slooowly recovering from a shoulder separation, so don't want to stir that up too much (hard enough reaching over my head).

A.

It depends,(sorry) I don't know how to quantify the force. When pulled free, pinch the two legs together to release from the housing.

Maybe I am just not strong enough. I've pulled and tugged, and only succeeded in making the cover hang a little looser from the ceiling. There is no issue with being the cover being stuck with paint, etc. I can see a little bit inside the huge hole in the ceiling and can't see any clips, but there is some kind of housing up inside there, which I guess contains the fan wiring.

Oh, well, guess it will have to be outsourced. What a nuisance.

Thanks,

Amethyst

Oh, well, guess it will have to be outsourced. What a nuisance.

Amethyst
A wise decision. When you mentioned that you are recovering from a separated shoulder, I wondered what in the world you think you are doing standing on a toilet seat trying to pull down something from the ceiling.

I don't know if you had a surgical repair, or just binding and rest, but whatever it was your shoulder is likely forevermore vulnerable to re-injury and possibly arthritis.

Ha

Actually I have no idea how it happened. The shoulder was not hit, but it developed a bump on the clavicle. The x-ray showed no arthritis but a slight separation. It seems to be a follow-on from when my wrist was in a cast and I had to do everything with my left arm/hand.

As for what in the world I am thinking, I have never been injured before, and probably don't know how to handle it.

Amethyst

Maybe take your photo to Home Depot or Lowe's and find a similar item to see how it is supposed to be attached? Maybe you were on to something with turning it.

Good luck!

A parting shot FWIW,
the spring clips may have been twisted in the exploration phase causing the binding problem. This youtube clip shows the basic technique with a square cover.

Amethyst,

I have one of these also. The OPs who have suggsted pulling down on the perimeter of the cover, then squeezing the 2 springy-type legs to release the cover from the base gave you the correct info. No twisting/turning of the cover is involved. It should not take much force, as it's the springy-things that are holding it in place.

Might you perhaps you have a nearby neighbor who is small yet tall enough to stand on said toilet and remove this cover for cleaning?

omni

I am pretty sure that the middle section comes down first. Just grab a hold of that round middle section and slightly twist and pull downward. it should have a few tabs that lock it to the outer grille. you may have to hold the base so it doesn't rotate as well. Once you get that down you will see what you need to do to remove the outer grille. There will be a stud coming through with a nut holding it up. These round fans don't typically use the springs that are typically used on square or rectangular fans.

it is hard to tell from the picture but is that round center part a plastic lens for a light behind it?

I am pretty sure that the middle section comes down first. Just grab a hold of that round middle section and slightly twist and pull downward. it should have a few tabs that lock it to the outer grille. you may have to hold the base so it doesn't rotate as well. Once you get that down you will see what you need to do to remove the outer grille. There will be a stud coming through with a nut holding it up. These round fans don't typically use the springs that are typically used on square or rectangular fans.

it is hard to tell from the picture but is that round center part a plastic lens for a light behind it?

If the center piece twists out, your example better explains her difficulty.
The round fans in my old house were the pull down type with a one piece cover, that should be the tip-off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom