Join Early Retirement Today

How to remove this Exhaust Fan Cover??
Old 04-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to remove this Exhaust Fan Cover??

So frustrating...Unable to figure out how to remove this exhaust fan cover to clean it. It does not twist off (it will twist, but only about 1/3 the way around). I am unable to pull it off. There are no screws.

Two of our toilets have this kind of exhaust fan cover directly above the toilet. There's no room for a ladder, so I have to stand on the toilet lid. I'm the one who has to do it, b/c Mr. A. is too big.

If anyone has dealt with this kind of cover, or can analyze it from the photo, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Amethyst
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0411bathroomfan0002.jpg (430.0 KB, 20 views)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try pulling it down. They usually have a pair of wire 'springs' holding them tight to the ceiling.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

How much strength should I use? I'm slooowly recovering from a shoulder separation, so don't want to stir that up too much (hard enough reaching over my head).

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Try pulling it down. They usually have a pair of wire 'springs' holding them tight to the ceiling.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bjorn is correct. I have exactly the same fixture. You shouldn't need much force to pull it down, but often it's stuck in the ceiling paint. In that case, gently lever between the ceiling and the fan casing to split the join. Or run a utility knife around it.

Once it's hanging down, you squeeze the spring legs together and unhook the whole thing. It will be obvious once you have it in front of you.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How much strength should I use? I'm slooowly recovering from a shoulder separation, so don't want to stir that up too much (hard enough reaching over my head).

A.
It depends,(sorry) I don't know how to quantify the force. When pulled free, pinch the two legs together to release from the housing.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I am just not strong enough. I've pulled and tugged, and only succeeded in making the cover hang a little looser from the ceiling. There is no issue with being the cover being stuck with paint, etc. I can see a little bit inside the huge hole in the ceiling and can't see any clips, but there is some kind of housing up inside there, which I guess contains the fan wiring.

Oh, well, guess it will have to be outsourced. What a nuisance.

Thanks,

Amethyst
Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The wire bundle could be hung up on something. Also possible that someone got creative and modified the housing.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, well, guess it will have to be outsourced. What a nuisance.

Amethyst
A wise decision. When you mentioned that you are recovering from a separated shoulder, I wondered what in the world you think you are doing standing on a toilet seat trying to pull down something from the ceiling.

I don't know if you had a surgical repair, or just binding and rest, but whatever it was your shoulder is likely forevermore vulnerable to re-injury and possibly arthritis.

Ha
Old 04-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Actually I have no idea how it happened. The shoulder was not hit, but it developed a bump on the clavicle. The x-ray showed no arthritis but a slight separation. It seems to be a follow-on from when my wrist was in a cast and I had to do everything with my left arm/hand.

As for what in the world I am thinking, I have never been injured before, and probably don't know how to handle it.

Amethyst
Old 04-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe take your photo to Home Depot or Lowe's and find a similar item to see how it is supposed to be attached? Maybe you were on to something with turning it.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #11

A parting shot FWIW,
the spring clips may have been twisted in the exploration phase causing the binding problem. This youtube clip shows the basic technique with a square cover.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

Amethyst,

I have one of these also. The OPs who have suggsted pulling down on the perimeter of the cover, then squeezing the 2 springy-type legs to release the cover from the base gave you the correct info. No twisting/turning of the cover is involved. It should not take much force, as it's the springy-things that are holding it in place.

Might you perhaps you have a nearby neighbor who is small yet tall enough to stand on said toilet and remove this cover for cleaning?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I am pretty sure that the middle section comes down first. Just grab a hold of that round middle section and slightly twist and pull downward. it should have a few tabs that lock it to the outer grille. you may have to hold the base so it doesn't rotate as well. Once you get that down you will see what you need to do to remove the outer grille. There will be a stud coming through with a nut holding it up. These round fans don't typically use the springs that are typically used on square or rectangular fans.

it is hard to tell from the picture but is that round center part a plastic lens for a light behind it?
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Vette View Post
I am pretty sure that the middle section comes down first. Just grab a hold of that round middle section and slightly twist and pull downward. it should have a few tabs that lock it to the outer grille. you may have to hold the base so it doesn't rotate as well. Once you get that down you will see what you need to do to remove the outer grille. There will be a stud coming through with a nut holding it up. These round fans don't typically use the springs that are typically used on square or rectangular fans.

it is hard to tell from the picture but is that round center part a plastic lens for a light behind it?
If the center piece twists out, your example better explains her difficulty.
The round fans in my old house were the pull down type with a one piece cover, that should be the tip-off.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You may need the special BFH tool...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom fan, exhaust fan