How to reset a computer to "factory install"?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I bought a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8.1 a few weeks ago.

As suggested in their quick start manual, the very first thing I did was save everything onto a thumb drive.

Then I downloaded a few freebie programs (Ad blocker, IOBit Malware blocker, AVG, etc.).

I'd like to get back to the factory install, as I'm having a few issues and want to be ascertain whether it's something I've done or if that is how it left the factory (in which case I'll return it to the place of purchase).

I tried reading the Toshiba online manual and following their instructions: insert thumb drive and push FN12 while starting up the computer. But that didn't seem to do it.

I'm not a computer geek. I'm not sure which file(s) from the drive I need to utilize (and how to do it) to get the computer back to the factory install.

I'd appreciate any guidance on what to do.

Thanks,

omni

Omni,

Do you have the model name and number of the laptop?

Perhaps the instructions are documented somewhere at Tohsiba's website.

E how has several postings on how to restore a toshiba laptop to factory settings. (Note this will wipe the hard drive). Try looking for how to restore factory settings to a Toshiba without a CD

Omni, before a full reinstall I'd first try a system restore. It is simpler and may resolve your issues.

You folks are the BEST! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Thanks for all the input. I was able to follow the steps in the video that easysurfer provided and the computer is now in the midst of a reset.

Hopefully, that will resolve my issues.

omni

Glad to see you back on track. A video is worth 1001 words (since a photo is worth 1000) :)

Back
Top Bottom