Join Early Retirement Today

how to sell the record collection
Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With interest in vinyl records up, this seems like a good time to sell those I bought decades ago in the pre-digital era. Most I've managed to keep in near mint condition, and there are a few MFSL issues. For the best price I am tempted to sell them indivdually (ebay or similar) but the packaging and shipping process described at various sites seems tedious. I"d love to hear the experiences and recommendations of others who sold off their records.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #2

35+ years ago a relative died, and we were given some records. This was pre-internet, so I listed them in a vinyl records magazine. I didn't know diddly about packing & shipping, so ended up refunding all the money we got for those broken records with pictures printed on the vinyl. So heed the warnings about shipping.

Whenever I go to estate sales, I see the same folks flipping through the vinyl boxes. Maybe list them on Craigslist (not my favorite) or Facebook Marketplace, along with a link to a list of what you have and then collectors can contact you? Or search the ones you think are valuable on eBay and the choose the CLOSED auctions to see what they sold for.

I'm sure there's a vinyl online forum. Might be a good place to get info on what's worth selling and what's Salvation Army material.

Just a few ideas off the top of my failing brain.

Good luck - some of them go for big bucks.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Most cities seem to have at least one or two local shops that buy and sell vinyl records. That would be by far the simplest solution.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Most cities seem to have at least one or two local shops that buy and sell vinyl records. That would be by far the simplest solution.
Duh, I forget brick & mortar even exist.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you trying to maximize your ROI or simply to de-clutter? If it's the latter, then offering the collection to a local vinyl store is the easiest way to be rid them. If you want to get the most for each album, or at least the ones you think are in demand, then eBay or possibly another forum specializing in LPs, is the way to go. But, shipping something fragile like an LP will be expensive and time consuming and may result in more than a few returns.

If it were me, I'd post something on Craigslist and FB Marketplace and see what kind of offers I received. The listings are free and you may get an idea of the value of your collection. That is where I start all of my selling now. Leakage from eBay and PayPal fees runs ~13%, so I can drop my asking price by 10%-15% and still come out about even if I can sell locally. And no shipping!

Edit to add -- I am selling stuff that is declining in value and that I no longer need, so I'm coming at this from the "every $$ I make is positive and it's out of the house" perspective.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Decluttering is part of the reason, but it seems reasonable to individually sell the more valuable records. Recommendations online suggest obtaining special cardboard mailers, and then cutting slabs of foam to cushion each side. If that has been successful for others I'll be encouraged to try it.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My vinyl collection is old, and though I personally took decent care, and mostly in fair/good condition, after 40-60 years of BSR Mini-changers with a penny taped to the tone arm, drunken roommates, etc. Need to “rip” a few more of the older, rarer ones, but will likely offload if/when I move/downsize.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #8

I went online, eBay craigslist and flipped through the records at a shop or two. I learned most of mine were not worth much but a few were worth about $5 to the merchant. My goal was to make sure I wasn’t selling something really valuable. My due diligence at least made me feel there was nothing of great value, unfortunately.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
With interest in vinyl records up, this seems like a good time to sell those I bought decades ago in the pre-digital era. Most I've managed to keep in near mint condition, and there are a few MFSL issues. For the best price I am tempted to sell them indivdually (ebay or similar) but the packaging and shipping process described at various sites seems tedious. I"d love to hear the experiences and recommendations of others who sold off their records.
I may be interested in buying some from you. Do you have a catalog?
Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
that will at least provide a baseline - kind of like taking your car to carmax