Join Early Retirement Today

How To Turn Off Facebook "Likes?"
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have about 125 friends on Facebook and I try to keep that list to only people that I actually know. Still, my news feed is clogged with messages that so-and-so likes this-and-that. I've tried a Google search for ways to turn of seeing these messages, but the only thing that I came up with was to use Friends Lists. When I created one, the options to not see "likes" was not in the menu as shown in the post that I was trying to follow.

Does anyone here know of a way to turn of seeing what your friends "like" short of unfollowing them? I don't mind seeing what people share, and I try to read all original comments that my friends post, but lately I would guess that my News Feed is 80% crap that I simply do not care about. I do not want to know that friend A liked one of their friends posts because I almost never know who these other people are. Can anyone help me?
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

when you see a post, on the right side there is a dropdown where you can "Hide Post" (See fewer posts like this) or "Unfollow that person" (Stop seeing posts from this person but stay friends.)

You want to "Hide Post"
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's what I do. A lot of post hiding and "I don't want to see posts like this". It seems to help. If someone gets too annoying I do unfollow them.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
when you see a post, on the right side there is a dropdown where you can "Hide Post" (See fewer posts like this) or "Unfollow that person" (Stop seeing posts from this person but stay friends.)

You want to "Hide Post"
I have done a little of this, mostly for ads and those annoying game posts. Maybe I'll spend this weekend hiding the posts that I don't want to see and then see if that helps.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Or do what I did...deactivated my Facebook account. No regrets and no unwanted posts on politics, dogs, cats or babies.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok , we get that there are a lot of Facebook curmudgeons here , no need continue the 'just ditch Facebook' posting dogpile
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

If your browser supports it, download the Facebook Purity plugin. You can filter, block, and reformat the display to your heart's content.
naturegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Ok , we get that there are a lot of Facebook curmudgeons here , no need continue the 'just ditch Facebook' posting dogpile
One person in the thread so far who has advocated for ditching it. That's hardly a dogpile.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

After spending about 45 minutes hiding posts or hiding from posts, I feel like I'm in the witness protection program. Thanks for the tip. Hope it helps.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #10

I wish the newsfeed had more powerful filtering features. FB has allowed me to keep in touch with a lot of people with way less effort (on both sides) than email did. But the stream of "likes" of topics/conversations that I have nothing to do with is annoying.

I'll have to look at FB purity
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post

mh, are you the resident monitor on what can and can't be said about Facebook? Why not try being nice and let people have their say?
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #12

Game posts are easy... you can readily ignore all posts generated from any Facebook app, including games. It's a shame that "Likes" isn't a Facebook app, so they can be blocked the same way. I've never tried trying to affect how much "Likes" show up in my feed by hiding posts. I'll have to try that.

I'll also have to look into FB Purity. I used to use Better Facebook/Social Fixer, but eventually it stopped working well.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl View Post
If your browser supports it, download the Facebook Purity plugin. You can filter, block, and reformat the display to your heart's content.

+1 works well
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #14

I've spent the weekend hiding so-and-so likes such-and-such posts and it seems to be helping. My news feed is much cleaner now, so thanks to Chilipepr for the tip. I think that I will continue on with this strategy rather than installing a browser plugin for now.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
After spending about 45 minutes hiding posts or hiding from posts, I feel like I'm in the witness protection program. Thanks for the tip. Hope it helps.
There is always tomorrow...
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
mh, are you the resident monitor on what can and can't be said about Facebook? Why not try being nice and let people have their say?

Well, they can , but the topic was how to do
Something in Facebook , not " forget that ! Just quit face book " .

It is a solution I suppose (shrug)
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Or do what I did...deactivated my Facebook account. No regrets and no unwanted posts on politics, dogs, cats or babies.
...and I completely understand. But DOGS! Come on (when my daughter was younger I said, 'never date a guy who doesn't like dogs)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B769&FORM=VIRE
Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There are so many articles on controlling Facebook that a simple Google search (e.g., facebook tricks) will keep you busy for days personalizing your experience.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I go through a similar dance with some of the folks on my facebook friends list.

What I've done is put people as my acquaintance and not as a friend. This limits seeing their feeds somewhat. The key then is no pull up their facebook feed or do a like on any of their comments for awhile. Those actions must tell facebook that you really aren't that interested in them so you get less feeds from them.

But if you view their feed or do a like or respond to their comments, you'll get the usual onslaught of them until you once again show less interest.

I have a brother who I swear takes a picture of his dinner place every time he goes out. I really don't want to see that, but sometimes I do see what he is up to besides this. Thus, the dance.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #20

Here is an update after a month of hiding from my friends on FB!

I would say that the suggested solution of clicking the "Hide Post" option does work, but with some caveats. The first one is that it requires regular maintenance. What I mean is that if you don't keep hiding posts, FB will start to sneak the things that your friends "like" back into your news feed. The second thing is that the posts don't go completely away, at least not all of them. If I scroll a long way back in my news feed, I will come to a section with several so-and-so likes such-and-such posts.

All in all, the solution has helped me see a lot fewer likes at the top of my news feed, so I plan to stick with it until a better solution comes along.