Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Just so you don't feel like everyone is out to get you, I have no moral dilemma about using sick days as vacation days. I'm one of those people that rarely get sick. But my coworkers with kids use up sick days left and right. As a single person, I feel they get more benefits than me because of it. So I have no qualms about using a sick day for just sitting home when I have a headache.

Now, just to keep all the parents on the forums from attacking me, I'm perfectly fine with you using your days in this manner. But I shouldn't have to raise a child to get my benefits anymore than I should have to take up smoking to get extra 15min breaks every 2 hours.

Personally, I've never seen the point of separating sick days from vacation days. I prefer systems where they are treated exactly the same. This means I get extra vacation days since I don't get sick often.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
Personally, I've never seen the point of separating sick days from vacation days. I prefer systems where they are treated exactly the same.
Thankfully more and more work places are doing just that.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Update on Walmart sick days
Old 08-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update on Walmart sick days

FYI, after doing some more searching, I found out Walmart changed their sick day policy, form the worse. If anyone's interested, the details are at Wal-Mart Adjusts Attendance Policy

What we found out is that she won't get "coached" until her 4th sick day in a 6 month period, and won't get fired until her 7th.

So, she is taking off 3 days during 2 seperate work weeks. The 1st one is never paid, so at least she will get paid for 4 days, and she will have six days off.

This way, she gets to use up some of her sick days without getting fired, and she gets to stay on the official payroll a couple weeks more, which will save us on a cobra payment. Every little bit helps.

Have a good one

Eddie
EddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieG View Post
FYI, after doing some more searching, I found out Walmart changed their sick day policy, form the worse. If anyone's interested, the details are at Wal-Mart Adjusts Attendance Policy

What we found out is that she won't get "coached" until her 4th sick day in a 6 month period, and won't get fired until her 7th.

So, she is taking off 3 days during 2 seperate work weeks. The 1st one is never paid, so at least she will get paid for 4 days, and she will have six days off.

This way, she gets to use up some of her sick days without getting fired, and she gets to stay on the official payroll a couple weeks more, which will save us on a cobra payment. Every little bit helps.

Have a good one

Eddie

Eddie,

It sounds like you guys came into some money. That is a good thing. Now you and your DW are blessed and have other options.

About Walmart. In my early years, I worked at some jobs that had poor or no benefits as an hourly worker. I can sympathize with your feelings.

I do not mean to preach... My personal feelings, if it were me: Trying to milk some extra pay from Walmart by gaming the policy would just cheapen me. For that matter, the pay is probably low enough, that even the monetary reward would be low (not that the amount changes things... it is the principle).

Walmart has a deal they offer to workers. People take it or leave it. I would suggest that you leave it and work toward improving the job situation permanently. It is not the "Crappy Job or Employer" that is the problem, it is your decision (or situation) that resulted in you (or DW) taking the job. I have been there before myself so I can speak with experience. I know what it is like. An Engineering Degree and MBA later and no more crappy Jobs with employers that do not pay.

Do yourself a favor. Let those @$$ho!3s keep their pennies rather than lower yourself to trying to get it via deception. Take the high road and resolve yourself to improve your lot in life and spend your energies in that positive way. If you spend your time (or your DW) and energy doing that, you will leave those types of jobs in the dust.

You have your money windfall. Use it wisely.

One final note: even the best companies have fairly strict HR policies regarding absences and sick days with doctors excuses. Why, because some people push the limits and abuse things. In my experience, it is usually my local boss that seems to be liberal about granting time-off. But that usually comes with a Salaried job. Oh, and by the way, I make a decent living, but I also usually work much more than 40 hours a week and have a lot of stress and pressure to deliver... no free lunch.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
wm
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

wm

"Walmart has a deal they offer to workers. People take it or leave it. I would suggest that you leave it and work toward improving the job situation permanently. It is not the "Crappy Job or Employer" that is the problem, it is your decision (or situation) that resulted in you (or DW) taking the job."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree about the self determination thing. I worked for 15 years at a printing giant with billions of annual sales. When they went from fair to greedy, I left and didn't look back. I found a company which is smaller, but is a lot nicer place to work, with honest friendly people.

"Walmart has a deal they offer to workers. People take it or leave it."

That's not true. Walmart purposely refuses to answer questions regarding benefits. They won't tell you the benefits before you "decide" to take the job, and then they make it as difficult as possible to get a straight answer or see anything in writing once you have the job. In her case, it's a long story of lies and misrepresentations and very poor treatment on several issues, not the sick day thing. If a person is lied to, and then "decides" to take the job, it is not the persons fault when the lies are discovered, and the person fights back. If she can get a few paid days off and a few extra bucks out of them after how they treated her, I say more power to her. She didn't start the problem, but she is going to finish it.

We don't feel any "moral" problem here. Walmart should, but doesn't. Let's remember that Walmart is the major player in this whole "race to the bottom" regarding employees, importing from China, community deception, etc. We didn't know about that whole situation until doing some research after she started working there. If we knew ahead of time, working there wouldn't even have been a consideration. We would have tried to fight even allowing them into our area.

"People take it or leave it."

Well she is "leaving it", but on her own terms. When she leaves(in 3 weeks - only having to work 2 days out of 4 weeks with her vacation time and sick time), it will be with a little extra money in her pocket and with a little paid time off before she leaves, and with health insurance coverage for a few weeks longer. Not a biggie, but like I said, every little bit helps.

BTW, we plan on giving generously in our own ways, as well as through standard charities. So the little bit extra she gets from Walmart will probably wind up in the hands of a struggling waitress in the form of a $50 tip at Denny's, or being spent at a more expensive Mom and Pop store, instead of at Walmart. She's not being greedy or "cheapening herself". She's just being creatively prudent. When a company does everything they can to take money from their employees pockets, there is no moral dilemna when the employee uses the companys own system to get a little bit of it back.

Have a good one,

Eddie
Old 08-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

"Walmart has a deal they offer to workers. People take it or leave it."

That's not true. Walmart purposely refuses to answer questions regarding benefits. ....
Well, if you go into a deal, and the other side says "I won't tell you that part of the deal", then you accepted that unknown as part of the deal.

You had the option of saying 'I have another offer and they explained the benefits to me, if you cannot do the same, I take the other offer'.

Sorry, but it sounds like you are blaming WalMart for your inability or inaction to find a better job.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
okey dokey
Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

okey dokey

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I trusted my current employer to follow through on what I was told during the interviews, and they did. They were honest and everything worked out fiine.

My wife trusted what she was told during her interviews. She was lied to, so things haven't worked out as well. Not her fault.

As for "inaction or inabilty", I wouldn't "ass-u-me" too much about the situation without knowing all the facts. We were already taking action, on several issues including this one, well before the question was even posed. This thread started as asking for ideas about the sick days from "Anyone who had any " Experience with Walmarts policy ", meaning former or current Walmart employees. I don't think there are many on this board. LOL

We've got it all settled now. Thanks for any helpful replies.

Have a good one,

Eddie
Old 08-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wouldn't "ass-u-me" too much about the situation without knowing all the facts.
I certainly do not have all the facts, only what you posted here.

And I have a hard time reconciling a statement that someone took a job after being told that they would NOT be told what the benefits are and then saying they lied to them about the benefits.

I'm voting with the others on this forum - it's water under the bridge, let it go. Take the high road, or you are just doing the 'do as I say, not as I do' thing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
It's gone
Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's gone

Way gone!

Peace,

Eddie
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still on your side, EddieG Although it appears I might be the only one.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I once had 600 of sick time and never used it. I lost that sick time. Not even a medal, trophy or a pat on the back. I have seen other used it for all sorts of excuse. This lady used it to chase her boyfriend in the military all over the world.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote