Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're 40 miles from most towers.
  • We're getting 49 stations OTA with our little amplified antenna upstairs only. I probably need to install a better antenna in the attic or outside for the whole house.
  • If Directv Now ($35/mo) works well enough we'll get it, if not Sling ($20/mo) or PSV.
  • We might get Hulu or Netflix too, for another LT $10/mo.
  • Forgoing a DVR for now.
I just need to get DW to let me cancel satellite...she's close!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're 40 miles from most towers.
  • We're getting 49 stations OTA with our little amplified antenna upstairs only. I probably need to install a better antenna in the attic or outside for the whole house.
  • If Directv Now ($35/mo) works well enough we'll get it, if not Sling ($20/mo) or PSV.
  • We might get Hulu or Netflix too, for another LT $10/mo.
  • Forgoing a DVR for now.
I just need to get DW to let me cancel satellite...she's close!
I was under the impression that PS Vue included locals. True or false?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Wouldn't that only happen if they were well matched and 1/2 wavelength apart (or an even wavelength apart if being backwards actually inverted the signal) ?

-ERD50
Actually, 2 yagi's mounted back to back will each deliver RF from the direction they are pointed to the feedline (via the so-called splitter in this case). The do not cancel each other out.

If yagi #1 is pointed east at station A and yagi #2 is pointed west at station B, both signals will be on the feedline in proportion to their signal strength.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I was under the impression that PS Vue included locals. True or false?
I can't tell for sure. It seems they all make it difficult to know, forcing potential customers to sign up for a "free trial" to find out. Sigh...

Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Wouldn't that only happen if they were well matched and 1/2 wavelength apart (or an even wavelength apart if being backwards actually inverted the signal) ?

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Actually, 2 yagi's mounted back to back will each deliver RF from the direction they are pointed to the feedline (via the so-called splitter in this case). The do not cancel each other out.

If yagi #1 is pointed east at station A and yagi #2 is pointed west at station B, both signals will be on the feedline in proportion to their signal strength.
I'm no expert, but my early tinkering with my head-end equipment indicated something bad was going on when passively connecting antennas. These were the days when I was attempting to keep analog going for some TV's and add digital to the spectrum. And there were no digital tuners in the attic in those days, so a coax going into a distribution amp and to various TVs. It was a mess, for sure. But I got it working pretty good with passive frequency filters. So much easier now, just plug each antenna into a separate tuner and forget all of that other stuff.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

One more OTA Station Finder (as well as other useful antenna stuff):

Antenna Recommendations
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

PlayStation Vue is THE answers for us!

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...vue-85494.html

Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

My Ultimate Cord Cutting Setup - Cord Cutters News

Quote:
I was recently asked what my personal at home setup is for cord cutting. That is no short answer, so I thought I would put down in writing what I use in my house.

Keep in mind that I own more than 30 cord cutting devices: every Roku sold since 2011, every Fire TV/Fire Stick ever made, both first and second generation Nvidia Shields, Apple TV 4th Gen, and probably 50 android-based streaming players. Add in over a dozen antennas and other peripherals etc. - See more at: My Ultimate Cord Cutting Setup - Cord Cutters News
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This is exactly the type of information that I've been hoping to find. Thank you for sharing it.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just dropped the excess cable stations I had. I have just TV, no internet. I was paying $107 a month for "full basic", and just lowered it to "limited basic" which is $34.22 a month with all fees included. I just surfed my new channel lineup, which now does not have Fox News, CNN, Turner Classic Movies, MSNBC, Comedy Channel, History Channel, etc, etc. and I like it just fine. I feel free and unencumbered !
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #111

I just started using DirectTV Now and it works pretty good on my computer once I get it going. [Silverlight is a PITA with Mac] I finally had enough of wrestling with my provider over rates when my cable bill went up $40 from the previous month - to $140 for the basic cable and internet package. Of course my new internet-only service isn't discounted - which hopefully means the price won't change as much or as often.

The main reason I signed up with Direct is that they gave away a free Apple TV with a 3-month subscription. I'll try it for three months and then we'll see if we want to switch to Playstation... nice to hear there is an alternative. Thanks for the great info everyone!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After I lopped off the top tier of channels, I discovered channels I had been ignoring, and they are not bad. PBS is one of them. And I don't miss the lopped off channels. So glad I lowered my monthly bill!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote