Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How we spent our vacation: Jazz
Old 02-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

How we spent our vacation: Jazz

Just returned from a bit of self-indulgence called the Playboy 2009 Jazz Cruise, celebrating a combination of my 60th b'day, our 38th anniversary and a collection of other excuses to party. DW agrees that this was one of the best vacations we ever took.

Holland-America from Fla to St. Barts, on-ship entertainment by some of the world's elite jazz musicians, plus you got to hang around with them and enjoy (and participate in [wish I had known]) spontaneous jam sessions. I know that jazz is not everyone's cup of tea, but this was about "straight ahead" jazz, more like the 1960s, mostly acoustic music, think Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderly, Sarah Vaughn plus a bunch of new promising artists. We had Herbie Hancock, James Carter, Marcus Miller, Keb Mo, James Moody, Dianne Reaves and a bunch more. Met tons of other passengers and our table of 8 turned into party central.

So, I've gained a few pounds, got a big grin on my face, and gave myself an extra day off tomorrow before returning to work. Next jazz stop will be New Orleans jazz fest in April.

Doin' my part to help end the global recession.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rich, sound like you really had a great time - even though didn't have a chance to toot your own horn.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a great time Rich. I didn't know you could toot a horn....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep, Rich can. It's a shame he didn't have it with him on the cruise so the experts could tutor the tooter...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Sounds like a great time Rich. I didn't know you could toot a horn....
Did it professionally for 4 or 5 years back in the 60s and early 70s, backup bands for known musicians, then jazz quartet and night clubbing. Talk about great jobs - 3 nights a week, $7 an hour, all the Michelob we could drink, and all the waitresses we could catch (the Michelob limited the waitress-catching).

This cruise has me dusting off the trumpet and scanning Craig's List for a startup band.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like that "10% retired" is going to traded in on "10% musician" pretty soon!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cool.

Can't wait to hear about your RE celebration.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
This cruise has me dusting off the trumpet and scanning Craig's List for a startup band.
DH has been in a couple of bands in the past few years. It got to the point where the gigs barely paid enough money for gas. He didn't care, he just wanted to play.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Happy Birthday ! It looks like a great way to celebrate !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sounds nice......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sounds great rich!
Cannonball - that takes me back - he, Nate, Walter Booker, Joe Zawinul, Roy McCurdy gave an hour seminar in my jazz class...wonderful beautiful music and people.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
sounds great rich!
Cannonball - that takes me back - he, Nate, Walter Booker, Joe Zawinul, Roy McCurdy gave an hour seminar in my jazz class...wonderful beautiful music and people.
Marcus Miller was doing an "artist in residence" gig at the Berkeley music school in Boston where he ran into an alto sax player (student age 21) whom he invited on this cruise. Kid's name was Alex Hahn (sp?), and he is very gifted and plays with the expression of a 40-something..

That kind of thing is still going on but with the cutbacks in subsidies for the arts starting in the Reagan years there are more kids scratching records on turntables than learning how to play keyboards, horns, bass and guitars. It was good to see some resurgence in young talent on the ship.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to hear that you had such a great time. Happy 60th Birthday!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Playboy, eh? Did you have to wear a "bunny" costume, too, or was that just for the crew?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Playboy, eh? Did you have to wear a "bunny" costume, too, or was that just for the crew?
The pleasures were strictly audio, alas. There was a pajama party by the pool one night, but everyone was so distracted by the music it didn't matter.

What is interesting is that this is a first collaboration between the well-established Jazz Cruises, LLC and Playboy. The purchasing power of Playboy allowed for the all-star lineup. No bunnies, but in a sure sign of my advancing age, I'd rather hear Herbie Hancock than look at the playmate of the year. Well, maybe both at the same time.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
The pleasures were strictly audio, alas. There was a pajama party by the pool one night, but everyone was so distracted by the music it didn't matter.

What is interesting is that this is a first collaboration between the well-established Jazz Cruises, LLC and Playboy. The purchasing power of Playboy allowed for the all-star lineup. No bunnies, but in a sure sign of my advancing age, I'd rather hear Herbie Hancock than look at the playmate of the year. Well, maybe both at the same time.
Happy Birthday and a Happy Anniversary Rich and your better half!
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote