Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
The article implied that "wealth management" was some sort of nefarious secret society. Really, my experience is that they are mostly just financial planners trying to get 1% of your portfolio by putting you into some standard asset allocation. I agree that much can be done to close offshore tax havens but this article is wealth envy at its finest.
If we're talking 30+ milllion it's not about financial planning alone, but much more.

It's about tax planning, estate planning, getting your boat financed creatively, structuring ownership (look at IKEA for instance), coaching in how to setup efficient trusts, enabling access (to get electricity near your private island), support in finding a successor CEO discreetly for your family business, right up to arranging kidnapping prevention measures and such.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post

People whine about the rich "not paying their fair share", but then the government ends up creating the very means that enables them to do it!
Like the welfare system at the other end of the spectrum, it is intentionally designed to encourage "creativity".

But the low-information crowd laps it up.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
If we're talking 30+ milllion it's not about financial planning alone, but much more.

It's about tax planning, estate planning, getting your boat financed creatively, structuring ownership (look at IKEA for instance), coaching in how to setup efficient trusts, enabling access (to get electricity near your private island), support in finding a successor CEO discreetly for your family business, right up to arranging kidnapping prevention measures and such.
....and, (as my granddad used to say) cheap at twice the price!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

Yes, I understand this but the article used the generic term "wealth management". Every bank in the world has a wealth management business, but very few do the kinds of things you mention, other than in the tax havens of course. I would also submit that $30 million is a low cut off for the kinds of things you mention. Maybe $100 million more like it. I suspect that many $30millionaires don't do any of the stuff you mention.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I would also submit that $30 million is a low cut off for the kinds of things you mention. Maybe $100 million more like it. I suspect that many $30millionaires don't do any of the stuff you mention.
ummmm....I think they do.
If they don't, they should. I suspect the multi-generational wealth crowd might be more inclined.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, everyone! It looks like we've exhausted the in-depth exploration of wealth management strategies for high net worth individuals.

Closed Thread