Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How well do you know your neighbors?
Know few if any of them, almost no contact. 28 20.90%
Know our neighbors enough to always say hello, small talk and help each other but no socia 74 55.22%
Know many neighbors, socialize with some occasionally (every other month or so) 25 18.66%
Know most neighbors well, socialize often (monthly or more),part of inner circle of personal friends. 7 5.22%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We live more in the country, although it's changing rapidly. I would like to have friendlier neighbors since I am more outgoing and open. But it's like Veremchuka said..."If your relatives did not live in this town 150-200 years ago you are a newcomer". I guess people look at it like if they did not know you growing up, then they don't need to know you now. Many lack social skills and are more closed in their way of thinking.

So, no I don't really know my neighbors, (after 16 years), and since they have had their chance...I don't want to know them now, anyways. We are self reliant.
That's not to say we don't have real friends that live several miles away.

We are looking to move further out in the country and buy more acreage, and build the house we really want after I retire in about 3 years. Hopefully, we may have a real neighbor or two...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

We live in a small town in a subdivision that is about 8 years old. They are still building out the last few lots as we speak.

We have met our immediate neighbors and find them OK for the most part. No social life to speak of but a few seem interested in helping out if needed; the others seem distant and passive. Some is the religious difference, some is age differences and some is just a desire to be left alone (them not us). We have tried to make our neighbors friends but they are too busy or just not interested. It seems a common occurrence these days.

We do have some friends that live in a 55+ community with 600+ plus homes and they seem to know and socialize with a lot of folks. I guess being in a "club" be it religious or age helps to grease the social gears.