How Would Insurance Company Know How Many Miles You Drive?

I always lie about my annual mileage. We've yet been caught.

Yeah, they'll catch you when they're involved in a case where you're being sued for a million bux! :LOL:

Putting your insurance at risk to save a few bux doesn't seem very smart. When a major settlement is involved, they'll compare the mileage you lied giving them to the actual mileage on the odometer on your wrecked car if they wish.

Last edited:
LOL, that was funny. But seriously, should we get those patio lights and the fancy dog crate or not?!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'd definitely go with the fancy dog crate. I continue to be undecided about those patio lights. Maybe something more elegant is needed? We'll talk.

I'd like to know how many people on here actually track their auto miles to be sure they stay under the ESTIMATE they gave their insurance agent. :confused:

And, of those that do track it, if they go past the estimate, do they immediately call their insurance company and report it to get a higher premium put in place? :LOL:

We keep an eye on mileage in order to stay under the threshold.
If one car gets high we make a point of using the other.
It also became one of the justifications for taking my Dad's keys away after he hit various parked cars... instead of racking up miles on my car I drive his when taking him to his appts.

I was with State Farm for over 20 years and never had to give them exact mileage figures. Our premiums were based on driving under 7500 miles per year per car. We're now with Farmers. They don't have a low mileage discount that I'm aware of.

I'd like to know how many people on here actually track their auto miles to be sure they stay under the ESTIMATE they gave their insurance agent. :confused:

And, of those that do track it, if they go past the estimate, do they immediately call their insurance company and report it to get a higher premium put in place? :LOL:

I don't track it exactly, but I do my own oil changes and keep track of the date and mileage of those, and so can keep rough track to ensure I'm in line with what I told them.

Since my mileage is a little lumpy - I'll drive around town most of the time but then will make a drive to Salt Lake or Portland for a trip or two - I generally look at the longer term average.

I just double checked and over the last three years I've driven 33,000 miles. I had estimated 8,000 miles per year, so I had been a little low.

I did just log in and update the mileage. I now owe USAA $4.92.

Since I haven't had any insurance claims on this car I'm not going to worry about having underestimated in the past.

I was with State Farm for over 20 years and never had to give them exact mileage figures. Our premiums were based on driving under 7500 miles per year per car. We're now with Farmers. They don't have a low mileage discount that I'm aware of.

Ask your Farmers agent about a mileage discount. We were with them for several years before AAA, and after we retired I called to lower our annual mileage and they started send me a form to fill out every six months before our policy renewal. I don't think the discount was worth much, but they did have one.

Back
Top Bottom