Join Early Retirement Today

How would you deal with this situation.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How would you deal with this situation.

About a mile from my house in a suburban neighborhood there is a house that is well completely neglected. Two broken windows, no shrubs in fron or on the sides of the house, needs a good power washing mold growing all over, no real window coverings old sheets. There is even paint and chalk written on the garage doors from the kids who live in the house. They drive get this a newer RED expedition! The house is about 4 years old looks 25 YO already. The windows actually have been broken now for over 8 months and have blue painters tape holding the glass together!

The people living next to them are well older and seem not to want to make trouble. The family that lives in the house is not illegal . Crazy how some people just let the eyesore fester. It is not good for anyone in the neighborhood. I run through the street on many of my runs. I almost want to knock on the door and say I will relpace your windows!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Administrator

I would thank my lucky stars that the house is not next door to mine!! And then I would butt out and think of something else with which to occupy my mind.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
I almost want to knock on the door and say I will relpace your windows!
I'm sure they will let you replace their windows. Hard to say with your little snapshot, but you're potentially inviting folks into your life that you really don't want to be mixed up with. You're intentions are great, but I agree with W2R. Sadly, it sounds like better than even odds you could (painfully) learn the meaning of 'no good deed goes unpunished.' YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I would thank my lucky stars that the house is not next door to mine!! And then I would butt out and think of something else with which to occupy my mind.

Oh believe me I will Not get involved BUT that IS how neighborhoods fall apart people say I will not get involved. But yes real glad not next door.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

You may want to file a complaint with the City. There is a municipal housing code that all houses should comply to. I'm sure the inspectors will find something to cite. It will at least get your neighbors' attention. You can file it anonymously. In my city that's the most effective way to deal with situations like that. I have several friends that work in the Department of Safety and Inspections--their job is to inspect, cite, and impose fines on properties. The system is entirely complaint based, so unless they get a complaint, they don't do anything.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There's a good chance that some neighbors are already working with the city to try to get something done. Probably never happen though.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
gone traveling

Jeesh! You try to LBYM in your mortgage free house and just cause your work provides you a nice car the the Jones, not even from your neighborhood, are trying to "improve" your living conditions. Damn bunch of good doers! Can't a millionaire live in peace?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #8

Agree with GoodSense - file complaint with the city/county/whoever has jurisdiction. Then forget about it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #9

Step One
File a complaint with homeowners assoc if there is one or city. Try to identify specific code violations, not just 'it's ugly'.

Step Two
Flood thier mailbox with "we buy ugly house fliers"

Step Three
Make an offer to buy the house

Im only serious about step one!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #10

Yeah, I would file the complaint, and keep doing it every month until something happens. If you have friends in your neighborhood, mention the messiness and the lack of code compliance and say something like " we should all file a complaint". Check back with them to see if they did. There is usually more strength in numbers with this kind of thing.

R
Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Could it be a rental?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Molotov cocktail...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Molotov cocktail...
Wait why would you waste booze..
Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Second the suggestion of getting more neighbors to call. In our city, when we are really serious about cracking down on properties in violation (which doesn't happen often), we actually map the ones with more complaints in 2 years in a different color to highlight the seriousness of the issue.