Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was a boring teenager and I'm a boring adult. I think my teen self would probably say that I turned out much as expected.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think my teenage self would be amazed at what I've accomplished - not due to any unusual degree of success, simply because I had such low expectations.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think my teenage self would be amazed at what I've accomplished - not due to any unusual degree of success, simply because I had such low expectations.
I suspect that you are at least partially kidding, but I feel the same way.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I suspect that you are at least partially kidding, but I feel the same way.
My teenage self would be aghast at how little sex I am having.

Ha
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would probably be amazed I'm still alive.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I was a boring teenager and I'm a boring adult. I think my teen self would probably say that I turned out much as expected.
Somehow I have my doubts about that....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My teenage self would be mortified that I have a Navy "career" (pushing 23 years active/reserve) divorced 2x (what -you screwed up not once, but twice...and considering a 3rd marriage!! WTF!) My teenage self would be pleased to know the laudry list of where I've been, and the wonderful experiences I've had overseas. But, why am I not a lawyer or physician? Why no Ivy league or Ivy league'esque colleges?....and why in the heck do I work for a state(NJ) in my civ life?

At least I am still cool....to others (and youngsters- so they say!),...
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #28

She would think that I am older than dirt and ugh, look at those wrinkles! She would be impressed that I am getting paid and don't have to work (pension) and of the savings that we have accumulated (not that much compared to some of you, but I grew up pretty poor).
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #29

My teenaged self would not be too surprised overall.

- pleased and not surprised that I had met and surpassed my financial goals, how smoothly my career went

- pleased and surprised how far some of my hobbies (cycling, hiking) went (since I did not do much physically as a teenager), and that I was able to stay married for 6 years.

- not pleased that I later let myself get somewhat out of shape
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I think my teenage self would be pleased overall. He wanted to become an engineer and I became an engineer. He wanted to become "rich" and I became "rich" far beyond what he dreamed possible. He wanted to own a Volkswagen and I owned 2 Volkswagens. He wanted to have a nice place to live and I do own a nice house. I think he would be surprised how smooth the sailing was and how fast I reached my goals (back then he used to worry so much about the future). I think he would also be surprised to find out that I married and that I am living thousands of miles from my hometown.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
\\

You would never be described as boring !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a great topic! I am sure my teenage self would be happy with how I lived my life and what I have achieved. Never thought I would be living in a fast paced and modern country given that I was born and raised in a small suburb area in one of the developing countries in Asia. Would never have thought I had a good career. Would be a bit saddened with the health problems and pains I had to go through but happy that I have recovered with a positive attitude towards life. Would be thoroughly happy that I still maintain good relations with my family members. Would be happy with my DH and wonder how on earth I managed to get it right there given I was quite a feather brain then.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
gone traveling

My teenage self would view me with a smug sense of triumph, since I'm married to the woman he really wanted to marry 35 years ago... thought it took a few years and a second try to realize he was right all along.

...and he'd wonder what she sees in some old, boring, conservative, sarcastic bald guy...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #34
Administrator

I think my teenage self would be very pleased at how I'd turned out.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Great that all of 'your' teens would be happy with where you are now! I know mine would be as well. What brought this topic up for me was talking to my young daughter. She is at the age where she wants to grow up so fast and I keep trying to caution her to enjoy the ride!

I fully recognize she won't listen or believe me. But as her dad I gotta try right?

I look back over my life and I feel blessed in so many ways. Now it hasn't been easy but it has been a fun ride. Lucky in many ways, and in many ways set out by design early on as well. It is interesting to me though that we all make decisions along the way that have such huge impacts later on, and yet we never truly recognize them at the time. Sometimes I wonder if some decision long ago had went a different way, how would I have turned out? Would I be the same guy in the same position?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #36

I think my teenage self would be horrified that I wasted most of my life as a lawyer, disappointed that I didn't spend a decade or two sailing around the South Pacific on my own boat, disappointed that it will take me until my mid-40s to FIRE, disappointed that I haven't written the best selling novel and disappointed that it takes me about four hours to get around a marathon (on a very good day). (He had overly ambitious high aspirations.) He'd probably offer me some car polish for my head, tell me I don't drink enough and that I've failed to make the most out of my life. I'd have a few things to say to the arrogant little twerp myself but that would just confirm the accuracy his views.

On the plus side, the fact that I got off my butt and went and lived in another country and am very close to FIRE would get a big thumbs up. And at least my dress sense has improved (although my wife would disagree).
Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My teen self planned out my life and, for the most part, I've lived the plan. The two "shocks" my teen self would have are 1) I raised 3 kids. The teen me made up his mind not to have kids. Then again "Men plan, God smiles." 2) I moved 5000 miles from the midwest after 60 years and settled in Paradise. THAT would surprise the teen me.

The fact that I'm still with the same girl my 7-year-old self met in 2nd grade would not surprise him. I think it surprises the old man I've become that she stuck with me this long.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I know exactly what the teenaged version of myself would say - that I had failed miserably to live up to his expectations. I should be close to retirement already, with rental properties and other investments providing the bulk of my income, and I should NOT have a family, because that only gets in the way of attaining a secure lifestyle. I should have waited until I was at least 30 before I got married.

He would say I have become short sighted, self-indulgent, and just another droning wannabe in a world of useless people who refuse to make the hard choices necessary to get ahead. He would condemn the last ten years of my life as a completely unnecessary detour and blame it on some personal weakness that had developed.

The fact that I am in the Army now would be viewed as ultimate proof that I had contracted some kind of wasting disease that was slowly eroding my sanity.

He'd also tell me I should be eating more whole grains.

I was kind of arrogant and judgemental when I was a teenager, in case you didn't pick up on that. I also had high expectations, very few of which I have been able to bring to fruition. I fight this battle all the time. If I hadn't gotten married, none of the financial problems I've had over the last ten years would have happened, and there is no telling where I might be, so the me from ten years ago would definitely say that I was a complete and utter failure who is not fit to carry on the life that he began.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

My teenage self would wonder how I survived this long acting like a teenager, and he'd tell me to start acting my age.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My general outlook and mentality about life is forever frozen at 17.
Old enough to understand how the world works and too young for jail.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote