Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Young do you start them?
Old 07-24-2004, 05:26 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My son is 10 years old. He wants a new bicycle.

My daughter is 30 years old. She wants a new car.

Same @#$%, different decade.

BUM

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

My daughter is 30 years old. She wants a new car.

Same @#$%, different decade.

BUM

So tell her to buy one for herself. What's the problem? 8)

Old 07-24-2004, 11:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Quote:Trial Lawyers don't take away what you worked for ! - The people in the jury do with a lot of help from yourself! - Average citizens that determine that you screwed up and took away a persons mobility for the rest of their life!

Translation: blame the jurors and our piss-poor educational institutions, not the poor misunderstood lawyers.
Wab,

I suppose you think that the politicians are to blame also and not the voters that elected them. GMAFB!
Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #44

Whakamole wrote:

Quote:
So tell her to buy one for herself. What's the problem?

From the original post (below)....The issue is not the age of the child its the choices they make and the parents desire or ability to influence those choices. My daughter has a perfectly usable late model car, but may opt for the "perfect" car and blow thousands in the process. Like Vale, I hope she makes a sensable decision.

Vale wrote:
Quote:
My son has accumulated enough fund through his hard work (lawn mowing, errands etc.) to buy an 'awesome' performance-oriented bicycle. He already has a functional one that's barely 2 years old but does not have any of the 'features' of THE ONE.

I would rather that he put his saving into various saving options other than spending it.

BUM
Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I think that in this case, age is an issue.

Vale's son is 10. Abstract reasoning ("If I spend this money now I won't have spending money for next week/college/retirement") won't win out over concrete reasoning ("Cool bike!!!").

Past the age of 25, your daughter is considered to be capable of abstract reasoning. Whether or not she chooses to do so... is her choice.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: I think that in this case, age is an issue.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:14 AM   #46

Re: I think that in this case, age is an issue.

Quote:
Vale's son is 10. *Abstract reasoning ("If I spend this money now I won't have spending money for next week/college/retirement") won't win out over concrete reasoning ("Cool bike!!!").
Depends on the kid. * In one study, researchers gave marshmellows to a group of 4-year olds. * They told the kids that they'd be back in a few minutes, and if they waited until then to eat their marshmellows, they would get another one.

Some of the kids immediately ate the marshmellows, of course. * Others waited. * They'd sing to themselves, close their eyes, anything to distract them from the marshmellow sitting in front of them. They were rewarded with another marshmellow.

The researchers followed these kids through adulthood, and they found that their ability to delay gratification was a better predictor for success in college than any other metric, including IQ.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #47

I would have eaten the marshmallow. Or shoved it
under Shirley's dress, or thrown it at the teacher.
You get the idea.

John Galt
Old 07-28-2004, 02:34 PM   #48

Quote:
I would have eaten the marshmallow. *Or shoved it
under Shirley's dress, or thrown it at the teacher.
You get the idea.

John Galt
I don't like marshmallows. But I might have traded it for a peak under Shirley's dress.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I might have traded it for a peak under Shirley's dress.
Did you actually mean "peek"? No, on second thought "peak" may be more accurate.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:31 AM   #50

Vale,

You better get back in here your topic is headed south. Shirley you can dress it back up.

BUM
Old 07-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #51

BUM,
Outside of my control. But FWIW,
Kid got his bike days ago. While he was busy 'managing' his parent to the bike of his choice, his sibling auctioned off the old bike at a 50% commission. Poor kid didn't have a clue that he was taken for a ride until it was too late. Understanding the fine prints and ethical behavior (especially toward your siblings) are upcoming lessons. So...

The thread is dead, stop poking at it.

The kid may come across this some day and he will conclude that his parent is 'very lame' for posting with a bunch of 'very lamers' and he won't need abstract reasoning for that bit of wisdom.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #52

Quote:
. . . The kid may come across this some day and he will conclude that his parent is 'very lame' for posting with a bunch of 'very lamers' and he won't reasoning for that bit of wisdom.
I would be insulted if I weren't so distracted thinking about what to do with my marshmallow and wondering what Shirley has under that dress.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Her name was Janice, she ate the marshmellow, her dad caught her before she could lift her dress, besides that I was in love with my bike and looking forward to a BB gun for my 11Th birthday. And remember - we can go back and edit our old posts. Can't remember if I saved any marshmellows - but sure did like them.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:02 AM   #54

unclemick, it sounds like you went right from your
3rd cup of coffee to cocktail hour. I may follow your example but I have to take my nap first.

John Galt
Old 07-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and looking forward to a BB gun for my 11Th birthday
Careful Mick...you'll put an eye out with that thing...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Vale,
Buy the kid the bike. Several years ago (like 10) Money mag did an article about a couple who wanted to retire early who had children. So they literally deprived the kids of some of the nicer things growing up. They bought clothes from the thrift store, no afterschool activities, no friends over because of the added expense, no savings for college etc. The response to their parenting methods and frugality program ranged from," Be sure you have your own cardboard box 'cause your kids sure ain't gonna bury you" to several readers asking for their address so they could report the parents to the authorities fo child abuse.
When children see their parents do all they can to provide for an early retirement even to the point of familial deprivation , I ask why did you have the children to begin with?
If parents have great wealth then watch their adult childres struggle all the while telling them how it develops character (assuming the adult kids aren't demostrating totally irresposnible behavior), all that does is insure that when the parents are 75 and 80, the kids will feel no moral responsibility toward the parents. People with real money learn to use it to nurture succeeding generations.
There is no inherent honor in making your kids experience being poor so you can have wealth when you don't have to spend it on the kids.
There's also no great honor in doing it all on your own by putting yourself through college, buying all of your own cars, clothes, etc. that just means those parents were selfish.