Join Early Retirement Today

HR Clinton and Obama - getting dirty already????
Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

HR Clinton and Obama - getting dirty already????

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/...ssa/index.html

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Allegations that Sen. Barack Obama was educated in a radical Muslim school known as a "madrassa" are not accurate, according to CNN reporting.

Insight Magazine, which is owned by the same company as The Washington Times, reported on its Web site last week that associates of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, had unearthed information the Illinois Democrat and likely presidential candidate attended a Muslim religious school known for teaching the most fundamentalist form of Islam.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: HR Clinton and Obama - getting dirty already????
Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Better pop some popcorn; this could get good!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #3

John Edwards will get the Nomination.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Allegations that Sen. Barack Obama was educated in a radical Muslim school known as a "madrassa" are not accurate, according to CNN reporting.
Obama actually was educated at a school started by strict religious fundamentalists who were thrown out of their country of origin by a government alarmed at their intolerance. These "teachers" later invaded another nation, rendered the monarchy nearly powerless with their propaganda, and instituted cultural changes that led to the deaths of thousands of that country's people. Their descendants held the monarchy in the grip of commercial bondage and finally overthrew the legitimate government to keep it from affecting their business interests.

Ironically Hillary's husband apologized for the whole thing in 1993. So it really was his fault.

And apparently CNN's never been to a Punahou football game.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Obama actually was educated at a school started by strict religious fundamentalists who were thrown out of their country of origin by a government alarmed at their intolerance. These "teachers" later invaded another nation, rendered the monarchy nearly powerless with their propaganda, and instituted cultural changes that led to the deaths of thousands of that country's people. Their descendants held the monarchy in the grip of commercial bondage and finally overthrew the legitimate government to keep it from affecting their business interests.
The United States?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

So a wacky right wing Moonie Newspaper's wackier still magazine prints this nonsense without checking it and then Fox News and the NY Post repeat it. Then Obama says, "nonsense." Then all of the right wing wackos say Hillary did it.

And they tell us we need to be concerned about the left wing media. :
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Then all of the right wing wackos say Hillary did it.
From reading the original story it turns out that they were claiming either someone in Hilary's camp, or someone in the party working at under their direction, was the source from the beginning.
Quote:
This is the question Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s camp is asking about Sen. Barack Obama. An investigation of Mr. Obama by political opponents within the Democratic Party has discovered that Mr. Obama was raised as a Muslim by his stepfather in Indonesia. Sources close to the background check...
It seems a little early for anybody on the Republican side to be too terribly worried about who the Democratic opponent will be. The field is too wide on either side, they're all busy trying to knock out their opponents in their own party first.

I don't remember the exact number of people from both parties who have thrown their hats in the ring so far, but I think it was close to 20 all together. It's going to be a long, boring and eventually very ugly primary season. There will be more garbage like this from both parties.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some folks believe that Hildebeast is the best the Dems have. She's one tough woman!! .....or is she

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 AM   #9

I really don't care one way or another, but, "Obama lived in Indonesia as a child, from 1967 to 1971, with his mother and stepfather and has acknowledged attending a Muslim school, but an aide said it was not a madrassa." Seems to me to imply he attended the Muslim school while living in Indonesia.

BUT

The Deputy headmaster stated, "This is a public school. We don't focus on religion." A school chum stated the schools hasn't changed much.

This seems to be contradictory. Could the Muslim school be some where else? I would think Obama would know where he went to school.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Huh. I attended a pretty strict catholic school for the earlier part of my education, right about the same time period.

So what does that imply? Anyone detect any bible-thumper-ishness about me?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #11

Further signs that the '08 election will be nasty. It's predicted to be the most expensive in history, with candidates raising at least $2 Million a week! Now, Hillary has announced she won't take public funding in either the primary or general elections. If she can pull that off it means she bypasses all the spending limits imposed by the Federal Election Commission. The battle for donations will be interesting as everyone tries to pick the same donors' pockets. I saw another article in which someone on her campaign staff was complaining that Obama was going to what were seen as "Clinton Supporters" and soliciting donations. George "Big Money" Soros is backing Obama and that has got to causing some clenched fists and tight jaws in the Clinton camp.
Quote:
Campaign workers for Mrs Clinton, who on Monday signed the papers to set up a presidential exploratory committee – the first step before declaring a formal candidacy – made indirect attacks on the relative inexperience of Mr Obama, who entered the race a week ago.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Huh. I attended a pretty strict catholic school for the earlier part of my education, right about the same time period.

So what does that imply? Anyone detect any bible-thumper-ishness about me?
Yeah, you're a regular Father Coughlin/Fred Phelps type.

I think its pretty funny how politicians of all parties try to tar the other guy with some (any) connection to islam and the muslim world. Um, its just another religion, folks.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

And jeez louise, they even recognize Christ as a prophet. Just not the ONLY prophet. Or the "best" one.

By the way, I got caught stealing candy when I was six years old. Put THAT on my resume as well.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I watched the CNN fact finding on this 'issue'. The 4 hours weekly on religion was the same dose I received in public grade school in the 40s. The school released students at a fixed time each week to attend their faith's instructional program. Students who didn't participate were offered another activity.

Both Christianity and Islam have had fascists and radicals.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that whole "Crusades" thing was a bit over the top.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Yeah, that whole "Crusades" thing was a bit over the top.
Wasn't that like seven centuries ago?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I guess that was my point. Questionable stuff from a long time ago, whether against the history of the world of the life of a young man, isnt particularly relevant.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Me too. What was worse, this was in a country full of religious fundamentalist terrorists. The violence -- bombings, assassinations, "kneecappings" -- went on for decades. The country was, and is, named "Ireland."

The good news -- I'm in recovery now.

I have no plans to run for office but if I did, I'd point out that where I went to school wasn't in any way my choice. Not with those nasty green and yellow uniforms they made us wear! :P Just NOT my colors!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Interesting leadership style discussion from the NYT today:
http://tinyurl.com/2fs2t4
Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #20

Things are going to heat up quickly. Obama forced Hillary's hand and she had to announce sooner than she wanted to. And now frustrated sources from her camp have leaked dirt that she hoped to drop on Obama much later this year - another political tactic. You don't want to get in Hillary's way! Look - even John Kerry backed out.