Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

HS Reunion pricing/setting
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

HS Reunion pricing/setting

Haven't seen a thread on this aspect of Class reunions. I just received an invite for my 40th HS class reunion. There is almost nothing that could get me to go, not even the bargain basement pricing - $38.50 per person. This includes Dinner, Soft Drinks, Beer and Dessert at one of my hometown's finest bars. The town I grew up in was pretty rough and it hasn't gotten any better over the last 40 years. The reunion invite just seems to reinforce this for me. I doubt that anyone who has troubled to move more than an hour or so away will bother to return.

Perhaps some of you have had invitations to better (or worse) sounding venues along with appropriate (or inappropriate) pricing.

I realize that with a preponderance of introverts in this community that not many of you will have gone to these things, but I'm just curious about the settings and pricing. Other stories, especially funny ones, will be more than welcome, however.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to a 30th reunion from work. Worse thing i ever did. How they tracked me down was a feat in detective work. That aside, I think it was $75 dinner sit down, beer, wine, booze, soda included. Years ago they would have lost money on that deal, now everyone seemed sick, diabetes, high blood pressure, medications so cant drink, hahaha. Every one was bald, balding, overweight, limping or ill. By some miracle I started to remember names like I worked with them just yesterday, I asked where is so and so, what ever happened to so and so etc. Too many people had died. Half of everyone was divorced. Some of them their kids had died. Laughs! OMG we had quite a few, but when I came home I told the bride never again. Id rather remember everyone they way we were, invincible men of steel, not broken down chandeliers.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

My 40th HS Reunion was held at the old Elk's Lodge and cost less than $38 although I can't remember the exact price. Hamburgers, hot dogs, coleslaw, baked beans, ice tea or lemonade, and a sheet cake. It was BYOB which was sort of awkward. I would have preferred a nicer venue and better food but that would have reduced the turnout. Attendance was decent because many of my classmates still lived in the small town. But most of those who I took college prep courses with and would liked to have seen did not attend as they had moved elsewhere and were not interested enough to make the trip.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I realize that with a preponderance of introverts in this community that not many of you will have gone to these things,
Probably true - I know I don't have much of a desire to attend one of those...
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

I'm less interested in the cost than answering the question - why do I want to see these people again?

I thought I had left those folks behind the day I got my diploma. Went to my 10 year reunion and was pleased to see a few people had made more of themselves than I thought they would, most landed in the middle of the curve, as expected. Didn't re-establish any relationships I wanted to maintain. Subsequent reunions weren't worth the cost as I had moved out of the area.

Know people that have been to multiple reunions, and don't have enough in common with them for it to be willing to go.

I tell my kids that High School is a place you pass through, it shouldn't be the highlight of your life. If it is, I have failed to prepare you for the world ahead.

ETA - Sorry for diverting from the question of cost, couldn't resist opining on the value side of the formula
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It took me more than 24+ hours' flight to go to my college 30 year reunion. Then another 24+ hours to come back. I was glad to meet some of the classmates that I haven't seen since graduation.

I still have to go my high school reunions.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Other than doing some "Revenge of the Nerds" theme, I have pretty much no interest in attending any HS reunions. HS was a lousy time for me. I had few friends (I stayed in touch with one over the years) and got picked on a lot. I was somewhat happy when everyone else treated me like a human being by my senior year.

That being said, I'd consider attending if they didn't have it at some $100-per-person outing at some hotel. My HS is near a large state park, so if they held it there as some sort of picnic where we can bring our own food or have a cookout, I would consider it.

Over the years since I graduated from HS in 1981, I have run into a few former classmates. Back in 2001, in preparation for the 20th reunion, I acquired a compilation of answers to a questionnaire answered by some of my fellow graduates. That I found a little interesting.

I was actually more interested in seeking out my former teachers, as I liked them more than my classmates. When I had a chance, I would visit my old HS and see them. They were glad to see me. The school clamped down on its security after 9/11 so I couldn't roam around any more. By 2002, the last of my former teachers had retired.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #8

I'm going to be a big outlier--I actually am the one who does most of the organizing of my high school class's reunions. We probably have about half of the class who are at all interested in coming, but it usually ends up being a pretty good party. There are various cliques from high school who still re-form the second they get in the door (and I didn't belong to any of them, lol), but I usually describe it as a very very large group of cousins who don't mind getting together once every five or 10 years.

This is in a upper-middle-class area, with a lot of people who went on to great success (even though it was a public school), so tickets are generally around $100 for the 10-year events, then we do something cheaper for the five-year ones.

I dunno. It's a fun bunch. We have a good time. But I can easily see how that is not the common experience.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #9

I am going to my 40th this year. Travel from MN to MA. Small town, 23K people in 2010, much less in 1977. I only went there two years, 11 & 12th grade.

I know a lot of people/relatives in the area, including one of my best friends, so that is another reason. If it was to Wareham HS, which I attended in 10th grade, I would not bother.

I would rather pay more, and get more, than a cheap event. By the time people are our age, they should be able to afford more.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #10

My high school had 4400 students, how big are these reunions?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #11

My graduating class had about 400 students. We generally get between 150-250 attendees (which includes some spouses).
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
I'm less interested in the cost than answering the question - why do I want to see these people again?

I thought I had left those folks behind the day I got my diploma. Went to my 10 year reunion and was pleased to see a few people had made more of themselves than I thought they would, most landed in the middle of the curve, as expected. Didn't re-establish any relationships I wanted to maintain. Subsequent reunions weren't worth the cost as I had moved out of the area.

Know people that have been to multiple reunions, and don't have enough in common with them for it to be willing to go.

I tell my kids that High School is a place you pass through, it shouldn't be the highlight of your life. If it is, I have failed to prepare you for the world ahead.

ETA - Sorry for diverting from the question of cost, couldn't resist opining on the value side of the formula
I agree 100%, in fact could have written almost the same. I did go my 10 year and it was OK, but have no desire to ever go to more. Especially since I live many states away. Not that HS sucked, but it just was not any significance to me. Just a stepping stone in the path.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am going to my 40th this weekend. It is far away but I have relatives there. Cost is like $20 per person and it is at a country club (there is an underwriter subsidizing the cost). We do them every 10 years. I have been to all of them though I have not lived nearby in 30 years. I have kept up with a few of my friends from high school and I always have a good time especially getting to know folks I did not know well then. We graduated about 600. This year they are opening it do adjacent classes which makes it more Interesting too.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #14

My late DW went to HS in Pittsburgh, but moved to the West Coast. There was a 50th reunion of her class, and the basic thought was 90% of these people still live in Pittsburgh, so it is no big deal for them to go to the reunion.
She did not bother to go to the West Coast chapter of the alumni group, so she decided not to go. We did buy a picture of the group, however. It sure beat hotels and airfare LOL
As for me, I wold not go back to the Bronx for a reunion unless I was carrying LOL.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
I'm going to be a big outlier--I actually am the one who does most of the organizing of my high school class's reunions. We probably have about half of the class who are at all interested in coming, but it usually ends up being a pretty good party. There are various cliques from high school who still re-form the second they get in the door (and I didn't belong to any of them, lol), but I usually describe it as a very very large group of cousins who don't mind getting together once every five or 10 years.

This is in a upper-middle-class area, with a lot of people who went on to great success (even though it was a public school), so tickets are generally around $100 for the 10-year events, then we do something cheaper for the five-year ones.

I dunno. It's a fun bunch. We have a good time. But I can easily see how that is not the common experience.
You seem a bit apologetic, no need. Think it's great you had an environment that was worth staying connected to.

I'm glad to see situations like your's and Senator's, believe we end up as better people if we are in more circumstances like that over the course of our lives.

Wasn't the case for me, but seeing signs it might be different for my kids, so trying to be mindful of my cynicism.

Thanks for the positive side!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have very fond memories of HS, it was super great for me, much better than College (both times).

I still have friends from HS.

I think I'd go to a reunion, but I'm sure they don't know where I'm located since I don't FB so no invites.

On the other hand, perhaps it's better to remember them as they were, rather than what they turned into.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My late DW went to HS in Pittsburgh, but moved to the West Coast. There was a 50th reunion of her class, and the basic thought was 90% of these people still live in Pittsburgh, so it is no big deal for them to go to the reunion.
She did not bother to go to the West Coast chapter of the alumni group, so she decided not to go. We did buy a picture of the group, however. It sure beat hotels and airfare LOL
As for me, I wold not go back to the Bronx for a reunion unless I was carrying LOL.
Hahahah
Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I switched high schools with two years to go. As a result I never received invitations to reunions at HS#1, and HS#2 was small and did not have reunions. But....43 years later I still keep in touch with my BFFs from HS although I live on a different continent. Every time I visit my hometown we get together. I'm godmother to one of my BFF's offspring. We connect on Facebook and by email regularly.

I did go to the 25th reunion of my university graduating class. It was a posh banquet in a historic hall at the University, and about 15 classmates attended. Some had not changed a bit. It was good to see them, but I was dealing with the death of my mother at the time, so not the best of times for me.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #19

Interesting thread. I just heard my 40th HS reunion will be in Sept. I went to my 10th & had fun but skipped the rest. I live a long trip away and feel like I keep in touch with a few HS people that are still important to me. Might be fun to see what people are up to now, but not sure it's worth the time and cost to actually go.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When I received the invitation for my 10th high school reunion, it was three days before the event. I was in the Air Force at the time stationed in England, so there was no way I could make it. In the invitation letter they included a list of classmates who had passed away. My name was on it! I guess they weren't surprised I didn't show up.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote