Join Early Retirement Today

Hulu
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hulu

I am wondering what the Hulu users think of the service?

Do you use Hulu or Hulu Plus?

If one has Netflix streaming does one also need Hulu or Hulu Plus?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I cancelled my cable and use Hulu to watch 90%+ of what I used to watch on cable. I won't pay for Hulu Plus. Even if it was $1/yr I wouldn't pay for it. Never used Netflix.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

With all of the streaming services you need to carefully check out what shows are available.

I understand there are ads in Hulu plus and I refuse to pay for content that has ads.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #4

I subscribe to Hulu Plus and to Netflix. They each do different things.

However, before subscribing to Hulu Plus check for the shows that you watch and make sure that you get "more" by subscribing to Hulu Plus. I have some shows that I watch that I like Hulu Plus since I can watch the episode the next day and there is a lot of old episodes available.

Also if you want to use devices such as an iPad or phone to watch on Hulu you need Plus.

There are some shows where old shows are available both on Hulu Plus and Netflix. However, usually Netflix won't have shows on Netflix until at least a year after they came out (basically whenever a DVD of the show comes out). Also, only some shows on Netflix are available to be streamed, while others you have to get the disk.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hulu plus for Jon Stewart and Mr. Colbert a day late. Lots of different shows from Netflix, They are much easier to fast forward or backward in than Netflix, but Netflix's menu is far more intuitive (at least for us).
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hulu plus for Jon Stewart and Mr. Colbert a day late. Lots of different shows from Netflix, They are much easier to fast forward or backward in than Netflix, but Netflix's menu is far more intuitive (at least for us).
You don't need Plus to watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report. I watch them on regular(free) Hulu the day after they air.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have both Hulu Plus and Netflix streaming. As others have said, while there is some overlap in content, there are also differences. Free Hulu provides the most recent episodes of some shows, while Hulu Plus provides the entire current season. My cable contract expires in a few months and I plan to cancel it at that time.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Use Hulu Plus heavily. Love the hi-def presentation. The captions are excellent when available. We watch a lot of Spanish language programming.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

How much is Hulu? All I'm watching right now are The Good Wife, Hannabal, American Idol and The Voice (and occasional Frontline. I do watch some odd channels once in a while, like Lifetime). I pay something like $75 for cable (not includnig the internet.)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My problem with Hulu is that the commercials don't run properly. Don't care if they want to use commercials, it's the American way, but they stop and stutter and jam up, takes 5 min for a 30 sec ad. The program runs fine, sometimes it buffers but that is my computer limitations.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
How much is Hulu? All I'm watching right now are The Good Wife, Hannabal, American Idol and The Voice (and occasional Frontline. I do watch some odd channels once in a while, like Lifetime). I pay something like $75 for cable (not includnig the internet.)
Hulu is free. Hulu Plus costs $7.99 per month plus local sales tax.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
My problem with Hulu is that the commercials don't run properly. Don't care if they want to use commercials, it's the American way, but they stop and stutter and jam up, takes 5 min for a 30 sec ad. The program runs fine, sometimes it buffers but that is my computer limitations.
I don't have this problem watching on my TV through AppleTV. At most when we resume later after having stopped during a commercial and turned things off, we have to go up one level and resume from there - minor.

I occasionally watch on my iPad (with Retina display) and it looks awesome, but I still prefer to watch on the large HD TV screen - especially for two of us.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Doc Martin either Hulu or Netflix. But prefer hulu and dropping Netflix soon. Got an antenna and no ca ble for us!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #14

Do you use a Western Digital device to watch Hulu?

I had that problem when I was using a Western Digital device to watch Hulu on my TV, but it went away when I switch to a Roku box.

The Roku box overall is much better for other reasons as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on the Roku. I have no problems with Hulu Plus on my Roku.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #16

For us, the biggest barrier to considering any of these services is the lack of support for closed captions, and the fact that even with both Netflix streaming and Hulu Plus, there are still a mess of cable series we like that we don't see carried by either.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost 8 months ago, I cut my cable to minimum and bought Roku2 XS box.

I bought PlayOn software so that I could watch free Hulu on TV but the advertisements and one laptop occupied, I considered Hulu Plus.

Scored one month membership and facing these issues.

Before the problem started like a plague, I bought one year membership on one of those deals site for a year, so I am stuck with it at least for a year. Still not too bad. There are 3 minute advertisements in any show. I would like no advertisements at all though. Meanwhile, I plan to give a try to other streaming services as well. So can not offer any comparison at the moment. Sure the web is flooded with these comparisons. You can also try to score trial deals.

Tags
hulu