Join Early Retirement Today

Humans Crave Violence Just Like Sex
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Humans Crave Violence Just Like Sex

This is an interesting article - Humans Crave Violence Just Like Sex.

Humans Crave Violence Just Like Sex - Yahoo! News

Folks which craving is greater the one for violence or the one for sex?

Are there any examples that you can think of which would show one being greater then the other?

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe it.. the picking fights for no reason. Which is 'greater' as an impulse I couldn't say. I might be tempted to say violence first since it 'settles' certain sex disputes and access to females be they consenting or no.

As a member/ex-member of the military, Wags, I would expect you to shed more light on the subject.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think this proves that "humans crave violence just like sex". It doesn't even prove that mice "crave violence just like sex"- only that mice seem to get a reward out of fighting, and that their brains process various rewards in simialr ways.

It was an extremely clever experiment. I was reading along thinking, "yeah you took this rodent dude's girlfriend away and gave him some nastly male that likely looked looked like trouble, so he fought. So what? Then the clincher- the little guy had a button to push to get his sparring partner back! Which he pushed, over and over! My kind of rodent for sure!

Of couse this whole thing is no surprise to anyone who has ever been in a honky-tonk on Saturday night, or who hasn't replaced experiential reality with platitudes and the way things are 'sposed to be.

In fact, this board is pretty good proof that people love to duke it out, at least virtually. If the mods would leave us alone it wouldn't take long for this place to resemble a barfight without the blood.

I loved to fight when I was young. I only gave it up when I was old enough that knives and stuff might be along, and when I started to really care about what others, like higher class girls, though of me.

Typically lower class girls love a little bloodshed on their behalf, and are not above trying to bring that about. But not so the daughters of suburban Republicans.

Ha
Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #4

people who pick fights for no reason simply aren't getting enough sex.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #5

You could say this idea alludes to both themes of this thread; violence and sex.

Can you imagine a 20 year-old, who's getting laid regularly, volunteering to be a suicide bomber? I can't. Then they tell him if he'll kill himself, he'll get 72 virgins. They don't tell him he gets to see Allah. He gets girls as a reward for a little violence. Hmmmm. The cure for the mid-east might be prostitution. Bring the bombs back; load up the planes with hookers, I say.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Lst night while in my car I heard some guy who has written a book I think called "The Geography of Happiness". I couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but he said that #5 on the happiness scale is Netherlands. Delving into it, he determined it was from bicycles available on every corner, legal mj and hash, and legal hookers.

That does sound a lot more laid back than the good old USA.

Ha
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #7

America is pretty violent, and has a puritanical or at least schizophrenic and largely unhealthy attitude about sex (even in areas of permissiveness it leans more toward the juvenile and sleazy).
The middle east is pretty violent and I think we know what their general attitudes are w/r/t sexual mores.

Just saw this post about Japan, though, and a big fertility festival:
Daily Kos: The Fertility Festival (Complete With Photos!!)
Is Japan a "violent" place?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
America is pretty violent, and has a puritanical or at least schizophrenic and largely unhealthy attitude about sex (even in areas of permissiveness it leans more toward the juvenile and sleazy).
The middle east is pretty violent and I think we know what their general attitudes are w/r/t sexual mores.

Just saw this post about Japan, though, and a big fertility festival:
Daily Kos: The Fertility Festival (Complete With Photos!!)
Is Japan a "violent" place?

Looks like quite the party.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I'm pretty sure that this experiment doesn't really say anything about the quasi-Freudian idea that violence comes from thwarted sexual drives. It really says only that both sexual activity and violence are intrinsically rewarding, at least to mice.

Also, I do not believe that "America is a pretty violent place." Certain groups and places in America are violent; other groups not. It would be hard to get the data, but I would guess that the ethnic European population of say Minneapolis or Indianapolis is no more violent than a similar group in Bologna.

Ha