Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wow, these stories are like learning about some tribal customs in some far flung country!

I've never worked anywhere with a dress code beyond wearing clothes that covered most of your private parts.

I wouldn't have survived two days.

My dad worked for Lipton Tea a long time ago, and I remember him and his staff bitching about having to wear long pants when the bigwigs came down to their little research station from New Jersey for visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
How fortunate you are. I've got a couple but this relates to your post. We had a dress code and it was a mess. Women were required to wear hose with a dress or skirt. Then there was the woman's shoe policy. I remember pumps(over a certain height) were outlawed as well as sandals and a couple other woman's shoe styles.

One gal on my team was not following the policy and other women started complaining. I ended up in HR talking with the director. There was a copied sheet showing examples of what was alllowed and what wasn't. There were a couple of styles I honestly couldn't tell apart.

I was telling the female HR director I knew nothing about women's shoe styles. I mentioned as a male manager "it made me feel uncomfortable" to be checking out if female employees were wearing hose(how could I tell for sure?), and exactly what style of shoe they were wearing. The director suddenly got real quiet.

A week later there was a special exemption put in for summer rules for women's dress code, later made permanent. Guess they hadn't really thought out the possibility that some young woman might not appreciate an old guy staring at their feet then asking them if they were wearing hose.:what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I was one of the IBM contractors that did not have a dress code and it caused purple H**L for the rank and file. Funny to watch but in retrospect I am sorry to have caused pain to anyone. My team of three including myself consisted of me, full beard albeit trimmed and short hair and a very young fellow who had hair down his back in a ponytail and he wore a small crucifix as an earring. The third guy who had long hair that he combed straight back and the curliest thick black beard I ever saw. We wore ordinary pants, whatever sort of cheap shirt and that was that. There was wake of consternation everywhere we went in the Maryland Office where we were working. The big guy would scold me occasionally and I would say we can leave now, no sweat, your choice. And that would be that. The best part was we were very happy people who worked very well together and were always laughing about something which really drove the straight-laced types mad. Ah well.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to work for Lipton and remember in the 80s male supervisors and managers were required to where white shirts, ties, and jackets in the manufacturing plants. The jackets could be removed at the desk and on the floor, but ties must be worn even around the equipment. (How dangerous!) The men would tuck their ties in their shirts. As a woman, I had to wear the white shirt, but at least I didn't have to wear a tie! LOL
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
I used to work for Lipton and remember in the 80s male supervisors and managers were required to where white shirts, ties, and jackets in the manufacturing plants. The jackets could be removed at the desk and on the floor, but ties must be worn even around the equipment. (How dangerous!) The men would tuck their ties in their shirts. As a woman, I had to wear the white shirt, but at least I didn't have to wear a tie! LOL
It's amazing how many of these companies used to think alike.

That consulting company I used to work for had a lot of projects in large automotive assembly plants. I never had projects there, but I accompanied some friends of mine there on occasion to observe their projects.

We had to keep our jackets on, including ties. Walking around in a suit, jacket, and tie guarantees you'll be alienated from any plant worker you have to work with.

And, like you posted, it's incredibly dangerous to be working around machinery that could kill you wearing a stupid tie. You either had to make sure to wear a tie clasp, or tuck your tie into your shirt.

Not to mention ruining clothes getting grease and oil on them. I remember friends of mine who worked more in the plants having to constantly replace clothing because it would get stained. Consequently, they'd buy the cheapest stuff they could find, and some would haunt the secondhand stores looking for suits at bargain prices because they were ruining them all the time.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sasset, I imagine it was like that in the rest of the company for sure. Dad ran a tea research station (he is a horticulturist) with a bunch of science types and they were fairly immune to the corporate requirements thanks to distance from NJ to Charleston. They had a great workplace, with lunchtime volleyball, cookouts, and practical jokes galore.

MRG, though I've worn pantyhose at least a dozen times in my whole life, if some boss guy was staring at my legs every day, I'd totally think he was a creeper! Too funny!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I had exactly one job which required wearing a tie.

Later working in earth sciences, it was hard to outdo the Phds. Ragged jeans, T shirs with miscellaneoeus messages. I could never lower my standards to ragged jeans. Though flip-flops were easy in the summer time. This was on campus. Field work was another matter.

The best I encountered was a fellow going to defend his thesis, wearing a white T shirt with a black necktie painted on it with magic marker. A pair of sneakers proudly diplaying most of his toenails. He was successful, they showed him the secret handshake. Today he is an esteemed professor, somwhere. Altough his bright carreer was nearly finished when a vehicle he was driving slid off an snowy raod, nearly broke his neck, and was wearing a steel halo until his neck got well.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The UK has the right idea for doctors. They've banned doctors from wearing white coats and neckties due to the fact that such garments are very good at carrying bacteria and viruses from patient to patient. I've been wearing slacks and a simple blouse or shortsleeve sweater for many years. No tie issue for me.

EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #28

OK, one more story, although not exactly to the point of the OP.

Back in the day, USAF pilots routinely removed their wedding rings before entering the cockpit, because the regs required that jewelry not be worn around machinery.

So when they were at the deployed location and enjoying an evening at the club, they had no ring on and were considered "Class B" bachelors (i.e., unmarried as far as anyone knew).

Eventually, wives got wise to this, and complained through unofficial channels.

The result was that regulations were changed and aircrew were required to wear nomex (fire resistant) gloves, thereby eliminating the need to remove rings.

Oh, the stories about that change ...
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
OK, one more story, although not exactly to the point of the OP.

Back in the day, USAF pilots routinely removed their wedding rings before entering the cockpit, because the regs required that jewelry not be worn around machinery.

So when they were at the deployed location and enjoying an evening at the club, they had no ring on and were considered "Class B" bachelors (i.e., unmarried as far as anyone knew).

Eventually, wives got wise to this, and complained through unofficial channels.

The result was that regulations were changed and aircrew were required to wear nomex (fire resistant) gloves, thereby eliminating the need to remove rings.

Oh, the stories about that change ...
Wow. I spent 8 years flying in the USAF (1970 - 78) and don't recall this bit of history. We wore nomex gloves from day one, so maybe 'back in the day' predates me.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. I spent 8 years flying in the USAF (1970 - 78) and don't recall this bit of history. We wore nomex gloves from day one, so maybe 'back in the day' predates me.
You followed the rules.
Not all flying units did.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I guess I have a different view. I like to dress nice and never minded a dress code. DW said I stood out in college and a lot of other females noticed how nice I dressed. Maybe that Ivy League education was an influence.

When Megacorp had a suit and tie dress code I felt for what they were paying me it was a minor sacrifice. As a minority I found I received MUCH better treating when traveling when I was dressed nicely. Besides, I look good in a suit.

Even though I am in OMY mode, I still dress nice when going into the office. There is no dress code but I'll wear a sports jacket, collared shirt, slacks and nice casual shoes. For me that is comfortable.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I was always jealous that men had dressing for work so easy. Maybe the tie and lapel widths changed but fashion for men was so subtle vs the wardrobe choices most women had to make every morning. Even the menswear/dress for success for women was really just another fashion choice in what kind of a statement to make that day. Never mind the undergarments....
Old 01-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I wore jeans on a customer call for the first time this week. As a bulldozer salesman this would not be unusual, but I've always felt that dressing for success was important. Now into OMY I don't feel it so much.
I was in the heavy equipment business calling on dealers. They were satisfied to see us in khaki pants and golf shirts. Dealers actually preferred we blend in with their sales staff and not stick out wearing a sportcoat and tie.

In the 70's, we were wearing shirts and ties in the offiice--and sport coats or suits outside the office. It kept us from getting our hands dirty even when we needed to "get mechanical."
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I was always jealous that men had dressing for work so easy. Maybe the tie and lapel widths changed but fashion for men was so subtle vs the wardrobe choices most women had to make every morning. Even the menswear/dress for success for women was really just another fashion choice in what kind of a statement to make that day. Never mind the undergarments....
The horrors of the undergarments!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My close friend had to wear an astronaut suit to work--SR71 pilot. He was the one that set the coast to coast speed record when the plane was delivered to The Smithsonian.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My close friend had to wear an astronaut suit to work--SR71 pilot. He was the one that set the coast to coast speed record when the plane was delivered to The Smithsonian.
That's impressive to me, but braumeister will still want to know if he was wearing his wedding ring at the time...