Join Early Retirement Today

Hunting (but not for squirrels!)
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Hunting (but not for squirrels!)

Deer hunting season has just ended in Minnesota, but is open in Wisconsin. Friends and relatives are off in the woods hunting. Do you hunt? Do you like eating game?

I think deer hunting is good: too many deer out there and it is good to see up close and personal where our meat comes from.

--waiting for my venison.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a lot as a boy and young adult. Haven't been in decades though. Coming east from Arizona, I guess I never got used to all the land being private. I love to eat it though, when anyone feels like feeding me.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I myself don't hunt, but my neighbors do........a lot! They always share their dead critters with us......after they're cleaned and butchered. Venison burger, sausage, roasts, snack sausages, meatloaf, steaks, etc. Also, pheasant, beaver, and turtle. In return I always give them my garden produce, and tomato and pepper plants that I start from seed each year.

I used to go with my Dad regularly, but I haven't been hunting in years.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

Thank goodness for friends who hunt -- there's not much that can compare to pheasant in my opinion. But I have no interest in doing the dirty work myself.

coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, but much less now than as a youngster. In fact, haven't been yet this year and have no plans. So, unless the phone rings with an unanticipated invitation, the guns will probably stay in their cases.

Diminishing habitat and privatization is a big concern. Plus, since neither I nor any of my buddies keep dogs anymore, it takes a lot of physical effort to hunt upland game, and that's getting tough on us old guys.

Hunting with my dad and uncle in northwest Illinois during my teenage years are some of my favorite memories.

My time fishing and paddling is way up since RE. Our freezer is bulging with walleye fillets, but not a single pheasant breast in stock! Fishing opportunities/availability are easier to come by than hunting and it is sure easier to ride in the boat than to walk corn stubble and fence rows all day!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

going out opening day in pa monday
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My neighbor likes to hunt and fish. I look up stuff (counties, critters, weapons, dates) for him on my computer and he gives me freezer/oven ready venison or walleye. Wish he'd get some pheasant or turkey.

He tills my garden in the spring, and I give him produce and herbs.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still grouse hunt with my dad. Son turned 12 this year but couldn't arrange a hunter safety course so looks like we'll start next year. Whatever he wants to pursue grouse, pheasant, rabitts, squirrels, deer or turkey gun or bow.
We do get some fish during our annual camping trip but I really need to do better about the noncamping times.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Deer hunting season has just ended in Minnesota, but is open in Wisconsin. Friends and relatives are off in the woods hunting. Do you hunt? Do you like eating game?

I think deer hunting is good: too many deer out there and it is good to see up close and personal where our meat comes from.

--waiting for my venison.
Here's an update on the Minnesota and Wisconsin deer season take ( I wasn't aware there is a muzzleloader season until now ):

Hunters' take is down a bit but still one of state's best ever

and also some needed help getting home:

Record number of hunters lost in St. Louis County

DULUTH, Minn. — This year a dozen hunters were reported missing in northern Minnesota's St. Louis County, more than double the number who get lost during most hunting seasons. The lost hunters required help from the county's 65-member volunteer rescue squad.
Sheriff's Capt. Tom Crossmon heads the rescue squad. He says that during most years the number of lost hunters is between none and five. Until this year fewer hunters were getting lost because they were using cell phones and GPS to find their way out of the woods.
The rescue squad found all of the lost hunters it went looking for this year, although one man was found dead from natural causes....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Getting lost in the woods or mountains is a scary and sometimes dangerous thing. People are all the time freezing in the mountains, or stepping off a cliff trying to get down after dark. I've been lost enough to be spooked several times, but usually the worst I had to endure was a cold night and a lot of extra walking because I came down the wrong canyon. It is easy to get up on a ridge, but not so easy to get down and arrive at the the place you started from.

Cell phones are pretty much useless deep into the mountains, but of course gps would be a huge help.

Ha
Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Used to hunt when I was younger. All I do anymore is oil my guns once a year. Venison steaks should always be eaten with a spoon of honey drizzled onto them.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Never hunted and don't like the taste of game (too gamey ) but I figure that people eating alternate meat keeps the price of beef low.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Never hunted and don't like the taste of game (too gamey ) but I figure that people eating alternate meat keeps the price of beef low.
...sometimes cattle accidentally get mistaken for deer...makes me wonder who's out there and what kind of shape they're in - so I try to stay out of the forests come hunting season...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last year, a mile from my place, a man had his arm shot off by someone hunting for bear.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #15

I like animals. They taste good.

Elk is my favorite.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I like elk, too. There are elk farms up here in Alberta, so I can get it from the farmers' markets.

Our neighborhood in Bellingham is overrun with deer. They come out of the park and eat roses, etc. We have to look sharp when driving home at night because the buggers stand in the middle of the street and they are damn near invisible in the dark. I would love to plink a couple of them, but can't discharge firearms in the city.

Otherwise, never cared for hunting, myself (too much like work), although I understand the attraction. my uncle and cousin used to hunt with bow and arrow in Michigan and that seems much more sporting and challenging. I regard personal firearms primarily as antipersonnel weapons and burglar magnets. Too much temptation and too much trouble for my taste.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Years ago I hit a deer with my Carmen Khia during hunting season .My Ex husband came and tagged it and took it away .That Christmas he gave me a big box with a red bow on it .It was the antlers mounted . What a jokester!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Years ago I hit a deer with my Carmen Khia during hunting season .My Ex husband came and tagged it and took it away .That Christmas he gave me a big box with a red bow on it .It was the antlers mounted . What a jokester!
What caliber Carmen Khia? Did you use a scope?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did not hunt much in my younger years, but I go deer hunting every year with my son now. He wouldn't miss an opportunity, and has been going out with me for several years now. We haven't had much luck yet this year, but we'll be out there before dawn tomorrow. (I guess I better get to bed, huh?)
ExtinctBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
...sometimes cattle accidentally get mistaken for deer...makes me wonder who's out there and what kind of shape they're in - so I try to stay out of the forests come hunting season...
Heh, I have been told by upstate NY dairy farmers that some guys have taken to spraypainting "COW" on the sides of their heifers with day-glo orange paint during hunting season. Not sure if they are pulling the leg of a down-stater or not, but considering the number of black and white "deer" that get bagged every year, seems reasonable.

I am a plenty avid fisherman, but never really got the hunting bug. I like shooting, but am perfectly happy leaving the shooting of critters to others. Went with my dad once as a teen. It was a memorable experience, but didn't make me want to stalk the woods with a firearm every year. I guess if I were living some place more rural I could get interested, but it probably wasn't meant to be. But I do like venison.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote