Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The forecast for my house is mostly the 39 mph sustained winds with gusts around 100 or so, unless it takes a little jig inland. It's going to be interesting. I spent today tying things down. Tomorrow will be spent moving potential projectiles (potted plants, lawn furniture, grill, etc) into the garage. I'm sure this is no big deal to the folks who live in the Carolinas or the Gulf, but we don't get too many hurricanes up here in the Mid Atlantic. Nor'easters, now, we get those big time, with 50+ mph winds and rains. Luckily, I'm about twice as far from open water for the hurricane as I am for the Nor'easters. That should cut down on high pressure salt spray. As I said, it should be interesting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
Administrator

Take care, Harley.

We haven't had to drag in the patio furniture and so on yet this year. I do not envy you one bit.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #23

You'll be fine, Harley, and your neighbors will appreciate you moving those potential projectiles! I remember trying to figure out whose roof was in our back yard after Hugo and finally determining it was from a big shed about 8 houses down from us.
Heavy salt spray will kill the grass and any plants, so if you get that and not much rain to wash it away, try to flood plants with fresh water as soon as you can.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck to all of you East Coasters! I remember feverishly keeping an eye on the weather channel during Hurricane season when I lived in NC. If they sent Jim Cantore to your area, then you knew it was going to be bad!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It's looking like it won't be too bad now. Which is good. I'm still planning for the worst, but the local weather reports aren't even reflecting the fact that the hurricane is out there. Calling for rain and 19 mph winds. We get regular thunderstorms that are much worse than that. However, based on my ongoing comments about the dependability of meteorologists (TV ones anyway), I'm covering my bets. The surfers are happy, though. We usually have 2-3' swells, and they're calling for 9-12 footers.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #26

Surfers here are thrilled, as usual. We're getting very nice surf and they expect good stuff off Wilmington as well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Neat and eerie. Knowing when I look up, all the clouds are from the hurricane. Very light scattered sprinkles here now. Light wind, under 10 mph. We aren't forecasted to get anything this far inland, but maybe it took a little turn to the west or intensified.

It is still forecasted to be a Category 4 this evening, but hopefully most of the coastal region just gets some wind and heavy rain and big waves. I'm hearing from friends down in the coastal NC region who have all battened down the hatches so to speak and have raided the grocery store. A friend's father is a firefighter at the Outer Banks (Kill Devils Hill) and says his father is staying at the fire station to weather the storm and has been out all day with a bull horn urging residents to leave (while they still can).

Even without a lot of direct winds and rain, the storm surge and beach erosion can do some serious damage to ocean front houses along the coast.

Crap, just saw a photo from yesterday of a house getting partially washed away at the exact beach we are renting at in a few weeks.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Crap, just saw a photo from yesterday of a house getting partially washed away at the exact beach we are renting at in a few weeks.
Bummer 'bout the beach house. Hope the one you're renting is spared. Perhaps now is a good time to reflect on the Snowpocalypse of last winter. We've sure had more than our fair share of lousy weather round here. Nords, please don't say a thing about the weather in your neck of the woods. I'm might have to get medieval on ya.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from the beach. Some nice waves, but if things get rough the beach and dunes could be in danger. We're going back out in a few hours with our chairs to watch the storm roll by. Should be fun. It's nice having a barrier island between my house and the big surge.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a relative non-event (versus what a Cat 4 bearing down on the coast could have been). Tropical Breezes and heavy rain are all that Wilmington received. Haven't heard reports from Outer Banks folks yet, other than the main fishing pier in Cape Hatteras was partially destroyed yesterday. Surf City/Topsail Island where I'm vacationing had this on their website this morning:

"No reported damage.
Beach is open.
Should be a wonderful Labor Day Weekend."

Sounds like great news for my upcoming vacation rental!! Three weeks is a long time to wait though during an active tropical weather season.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like a relative non-event (versus what a Cat 4 bearing down on the coast could have been). Tropical Breezes and heavy rain are all that Wilmington received. Haven't heard reports from Outer Banks folks yet, other than the main fishing pier in Cape Hatteras was partially destroyed yesterday. Surf City/Topsail Island where I'm vacationing had this on their website this morning:

"No reported damage.

Beach is open.

Should be a wonderful Labor Day Weekend."

Sounds like great news for my upcoming vacation rental!! Three weeks is a long time to wait though during an active tropical weather season.

Doing the happy dance for you Enjoy your vacation!! Oh, some pics would be cool
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Doing the happy dance for you Enjoy your vacation!! Oh, some pics would be cool
I'll try to remember to post some. I'm glad we'll get to have a nice vacation still, but more glad all the coastal residents didn't lose everything.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yep, a total dud here in the Delmarva peninsula. Good that there was no damage, but with all my prep work I'd have liked to at least seen a good storm.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Nords, please don't say a thing about the weather in your neck of the woods. I'm might have to get medieval on ya.
Hey, it's hurricane season over here too. I'm just glad that we're not holding the great big target circle this week.

I'm married to a military meteorologist who used to be the ops officer at the local typhoon warning center. Believe me, I know what it's like.

Pretty gutsy call of the Norfolk admiral not to sortie the fleet. He was either going to waste a couple million bucks getting everyone out to sea just to be safe, or end up looking like an idiot when the storm passed right over the fleet tied up in the harbor.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Haven't heard reports from Outer Banks folks yet, other than the main fishing pier in Cape Hatteras was partially destroyed yesterday.
Total non-event on the Outer Banks other than some sound side flooding below Oregon Inlet Bridge. We live far west side Kill Devil Hills on Colington Island and just got tropical force winds. No location on the OBX is risk free but we are certainly not anywhere near as vunerable as Hatteras or Ocracoke. The outside world tends to lump the whole place into one risk category.

Major Weather Channel hype touting the absolute worst case senario and the public buying into it. I spoze better safe than sorry but The Weather Channel sort of looked a bit foolish with their constant "rating grabbing" dire prediction bias. I was out doin chores on Friday morning while Al Roker was 3 miles away leaning into the wind like the sky was falling. Silly. Local media and county government handled it much better.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Total non-event on the Outer Banks other than some sound side flooding below Oregon Inlet Bridge. We live far west side Kill Devil Hills on Colington Island and just got tropical force winds. No location on the OBX is risk free but we are certainly not anywhere near as vunerable as Hatteras or Ocracoke. The outside world tends to lump the whole place into one risk category.

Major Weather Channel hype touting the absolute worst case senario and the public buying into it. I spoze better safe than sorry but The Weather Channel sort of looked a bit foolish with their constant "rating grabbing" dire prediction bias. I was out doin chores on Friday morning while Al Roker was 3 miles away leaning into the wind like the sky was falling. Silly. Local media and county government handled it much better.
I guess better safe than sorry. I think Earl lost a lot of intensity the 24 hours before it approached the OBX and it must have veered to the east. A category 4 100 miles to the west of where it ended up would have been a lot different result.

Definitely glad that the NC beaches and barrier islands weren't destroyed. Although it would have meant major job creation for the homebuilder/construction industry...