Hurricane Earl

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not liking the looks of this one. Keep your fingers crossed for us east coasters. Here's the latest pic of Earl from the National Hurricane Center.

National Hurricane Center

Attachments

• Earl.jpg
    Earl.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1
Here's the predicted path.

Attachments

• Earl path.gif
    Earl path.gif
    37.7 KB · Views: 8
I hope thefed enjoyed his Outer Banks vacation, cause there may not be much left after this depending on the track of it!

This will be another great weekend to NOT own a beach house! Anxiously waiting (safely inland at 200+' elevation) to see if the rental we have in a couple weeks will still be there, still have a beach in front of it, and have steps down to the beach.

And at the same time, also a great weekend to contemplate why in the heck we bought a very slow moving boat just in time for Hurricane Season! Yikes!

And at the same time, also a great weekend to contemplate why in the heck we bought a very slow moving boat just in time for Hurricane Season! Yikes!

You guys can trailer it up here and leave it in my lake. It doesn't draft more than a foot or two, right? :D

LOL! Yeah, sure thing. I think we can put it in the garage next to the push mower. ;)

Might be a tight squeeze. I don't have a garage and my storage shed is only 8' wide. And the push mower has to go in there.

You guys should be ok, right? Maybe some rough seas and wind/rain?

Maybe some wind, probably some good surf, but the boat is in fairly sheltered marina off the ICW on the Stono River, so not like one of the harborfront jobbies. There, I'd be worried.
Our island is set back pretty far from the ocean and we are elevated on pilings, so we'd not evacuate unless it was a direct hit planned. Nada expected from Fiona or Earl.
Funny though, when I watched Sue J's cool Wilderness downtown video thing and entered the address where I grew up, the video brought up my Hugo memories from 1989, where our house flooded to 5.5 feet.

Oh BOY.....just in time for our week in Corolla at the Outer Banks :greetings10:

Wonder if we get a refund if the house is in less than stellar condition :whistle:

The silver lining may be that our check-in time is Saturday PM....so maybe Earl
will have decided where to go by then......

I'm getting set to batten down the hatches. They're currently calling for it to head up the coast after hitting NC. I'm about 100' off the bay on the leeward side of Ocean City MD. One of my main reasons for buying here was that hurricanes tend to spin off from NC/VA Beach and head out to sea, missing where we are. :rolleyes: Oh well, you pays your money, you takes your chances. At least we got the hurricane shutters installed on the sliding glass doors. They don't even stand up to the Nor'Easters without protection. The generator is full of fuel and ready to go. We're as set as we can get.

We'll be heading down to Kill Devil Hills in about 2 weeks. Hope it's still there.

It's going to be interesting. Everybody stock up on TP and scotch, and keep your heads down. :greetings10:

A former coworker buddy is in charge of a lot of the emergency preparedness in Nova Scotia. Bet he is busy today. :LOL:

I'm getting set to batten down the hatches. They're currently calling for it to head up the coast after hitting NC. I'm about 100' off the bay on the leeward side of Ocean City MD. One of my main reasons for buying here was that hurricanes tend to spin off from NC/VA Beach and head out to sea, missing where we are. :rolleyes: Oh well, you pays your money, you takes your chances. At least we got the hurricane shutters installed on the sliding glass doors. They don't even stand up to the Nor'Easters without protection. The generator is full of fuel and ready to go. We're as set as we can get.

We'll be heading down to Kill Devil Hills in about 2 weeks. Hope it's still there.

It's going to be interesting. Everybody stock up on TP and scotch, and keep your heads down. :greetings10:

I figured you were in prep mode. Don't forget to fill up the bathtubs for flushing water and to stock up on the (as we perpetually call them) Vi-eeener Sausages. Keep us posted if you keep the power on. I will never forget the long night of Hugo passing over us.

Scope out OBX Brewing while you are in Kill Devil Hills--our Floydfest fave William Walter is playing there in December and we're thinking of going up for it. It is a wind-powered brewery that sounds very cool!

Hoping for a track shift to the right! :flowers:

Oh BOY.....just in time for our week in Corolla at the Outer Banks :greetings10:

Wonder if we get a refund if the house is in less than stellar condition :whistle:

The silver lining may be that our check-in time is Saturday PM....so maybe Earl
will have decided where to go by then......

We spent a week in Corolla a few years ago after a hurricane went by. Similiar to the projected path on this one - not a direct hit but not too far off the coast. The weather was great, but they had the "red flags" up meaning no ocean swimming for several days after.

:eek:

Attachments

• earl 9-1.gif
    earl 9-1.gif
    42.9 KB · Views: 17
Winds up to 199 mph detected in this hurricane. Back up to a cat 4. Please let this monster go out to sea.

The forecast for my house is mostly the 39 mph sustained winds with gusts around 100 or so, unless it takes a little jig inland. It's going to be interesting. I spent today tying things down. Tomorrow will be spent moving potential projectiles (potted plants, lawn furniture, grill, etc) into the garage. I'm sure this is no big deal to the folks who live in the Carolinas or the Gulf, but we don't get too many hurricanes up here in the Mid Atlantic. Nor'easters, now, we get those big time, with 50+ mph winds and rains. Luckily, I'm about twice as far from open water for the hurricane as I am for the Nor'easters. That should cut down on high pressure salt spray. As I said, it should be interesting.

Take care, Harley.

We haven't had to drag in the patio furniture and so on yet this year. I do not envy you one bit.

You'll be fine, Harley, and your neighbors will appreciate you moving those potential projectiles! I remember trying to figure out whose roof was in our back yard after Hugo and finally determining it was from a big shed about 8 houses down from us.
Heavy salt spray will kill the grass and any plants, so if you get that and not much rain to wash it away, try to flood plants with fresh water as soon as you can.

Good luck to all of you East Coasters! I remember feverishly keeping an eye on the weather channel during Hurricane season when I lived in NC. If they sent Jim Cantore to your area, then you knew it was going to be bad!

It's looking like it won't be too bad now. Which is good. I'm still planning for the worst, but the local weather reports aren't even reflecting the fact that the hurricane is out there. Calling for rain and 19 mph winds. We get regular thunderstorms that are much worse than that. However, based on my ongoing comments about the dependability of meteorologists (TV ones anyway), I'm covering my bets. The surfers are happy, though. We usually have 2-3' swells, and they're calling for 9-12 footers. :D

Back
Top Bottom