Join Early Retirement Today

Hurricane Florence
Old 09-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hurricane Florence

The Mrs and I just got back from filing two 5 gallon gas cans. We also took in the outdoor umbrella and started the generator. I hope that will appease the hurricane gods. Yeah I know it’s still a few days away but I wanted give the god time to turn it out to sea.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

May we assume that Ray is NOT in Penn.?

Old 09-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Actually I am and yes I know best estimates are S.C. But even a near miss in my next of the woods means lost power...
Old 09-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #4

Good luck to our SE Coast forum friends. Could be Cat 4 next week.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching closely, driving down to Brunswick, ga Friday.....
f35phixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Not lookin very good...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/florence-s...ry?id=57704812
Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #7

For the most accurate info, please try to use the NOA site vs. others. You'll get actual data, better science, and far less hyperbole, than virtually anywhere else. This is where the advisories, warnings, cones, etc., all originate.

Given there are three named storms active now in the Atlantic, I'll probably keep a tab on this page for the rest of the month:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

With every storm, they do updates every 3 hours (5, 8, 11, Eastern, etc.). Major updates, which include the outputs of recon flights into the storms usually, come on the 8's and 11's. Interim updates at 5's and 2's. Adjust for your time zone of course.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hope it wimpers out but doesn't look good at the moment.

I had damage to my front storm door when Gordon blew through last week on the AL coast. I wasn't expecting anything from that storm as it never reached cat 1 status. The door never did latch well and it's possible I didn't close it tightly when I left last time, but it blew open and pulled away from the hinges. Messed up some wood trim in the process. Will have to deal with that next week when I go down. Just shows it doesn't take a large storm to do some damage.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Good luck to you Ray!! Here's hoping it misses or weakens.

VW
Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graph...e_and_wind.png

Latest forecast track. Carolinas be on guard! They discuss chance that it could stall after landfall. That would not be good.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We in Texas are feeling good that we won't be seeing any of these storms. We remember Harvey.

Batten down, east coasters!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Been through 2 direct hits at category 2+, as long as you are not in a mobile home or below sea level just be prepared to not have power for a few days and turn off the anxiety producing news.
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #13

I lost power this am . I am not ready to lose power for days. Very frustrating for even 3 hours. It is that internet thing. Serious withdrawal symptoms.
I need to get a crack up radio at least. My stove is gas and I have a spark lighter. I thought it worked without the lighter-different ignition then my old stove but nope. I guess that means I won't be able to use the oven.
Backyard has standing water already (NOVA) from remnants of Gordon. Will be a mess if we get a prolonged rain event.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The Mrs and I just got back from filing two 5 gallon gas cans. We also took in the outdoor umbrella and started the generator. I hope that will appease the hurricane gods. Yeah I know it’s still a few days away but I wanted give the god time to turn it out to sea.
After living in the Houston area for 34 plus years prior to retiring/moving in 2015 IMO you can’t be too early for preparing. People get crazy real quick when a hurricane gets close and especially after landfall. Better safe than sorry. Good luck and be safe.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I lost power this am . I am not ready to lose power for days. Very frustrating for even 3 hours. It is that internet thing. Serious withdrawal symptoms.
I need to get a crack up radio at least. My stove is gas and I have a spark lighter. I thought it worked without the lighter-different ignition then my old stove but nope. I guess that means I won't be able to use the oven.
Backyard has standing water already (NOVA) from remnants of Gordon. Will be a mess if we get a prolonged rain event.

Some years ago I bought a big generator and had an inlet wired... I get antsy without power
Old 09-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #16

Some lessons from Hurricane Irma:

• the National Hurricane Center (NHC) eye path, time-of-arrival, and intensity predictions were accurate in general

• however, the NHC predictions were inaccurate in particular. Unfortunately, for hurricane damage the details matter because wind speeds fall off rapidly with increasing distance from the eye. Also, a storm that lingers rather than departing an area rapidly can drop a huge amount of rain.

• the most widely reproduced NHC map shows the predicted path of the eye. For Hurricane Irma, this map caused a huge amount of unnecessary panic as some Floridians desperately tried to stay out of the predicted eye path by driving madly all over the peninsula. My favorite map is the ‘spaghetti diagram’ showing the results of the various computer simulation runs with no attempt made to aggregate them into a single predicted eye path.

• after successfully sheltering-in-place through a low Category 1 storm, I would debate trying to shelter-in-place through a Cat 2 or higher storm. Low Cat 1 was plenty-intense for me, thanks!

BTW: GEOS-East is now live. This satellite provides excellent views of storm activity in the Atlantic.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
My stove is gas and I have a spark lighter. I thought it worked without the lighter-different ignition then my old stove but nope. I guess that means I won't be able to use the oven.
Can't you light it with a match? It's been many years since we had gas, but, as long as the gas flowed, we could just use a match.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Can't you light it with a match? It's been many years since we had gas, but, as long as the gas flowed, we could just use a match.
I meant one of those charcoal lighter wand things-which I do have. I got my hot water and a bacon and eggs b'fast. So I will be able to cook from the freezer for a couple of days. I am inland (and further North)from the storms . I just whined about a small problem when I know a lot of people are going to have a bigger one. There are several storms in a row out there-could be a rough month.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

Looks very grim.

Fran '96 and Floyd '99 damaged NC significantly. This forecast is bringing back bad memories.
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
BTW: GEOS-East is now live. This satellite provides excellent views of storm activity in the Atlantic.
Way cool!