Hurricane Harvey Charities

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
NOT being political here. I want to donate, but frankly don't trust some well-known charities to truly use my money for hurricane relief. Does anyone know of a reputable charity where I can feel that 100% of my money is going to be used for Harvey relief?

100% is a pretty high bar. My wife is a treasurer of a charity. Somehow they have to pay for web site and tax returns. Sure, one can always say someone else pays for that, but money is fungible.

100% is a pretty high bar. My wife is a treasurer of a charity. Somehow they have to pay for web site and tax returns. Sure, one can always say someone else pays for that, but money is fungible.

Thanks for the replies. I sent donation to Houston Food Bank. Just fir clarification, I meant "100 %" as for hurricane affected areas. I realize all charities have organizational expenses.

I just saw that the mayor has asked the Greater Houston Community Foundation to manage a relief fund. Community foundations are generally very well run with extremely low overhead so this is an option for those who want help to go to Houston.

https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/

Of course, Rockport, Victoria, and many more towns further south require major aid, and it looks like much of Louisiana will be in need soon.

There are so many good charities to help the people of Houston/Texas.

We donated to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Houston Food Bank, and Austin Pets Alive (They've already taken in 230 pets from the Houston area).

Im sure these mentioned charities are all good, I know many bogus charities spring up after a disaster. The corrupt and contemptible love these opportunities to line their own pockets.

Charity Navigator may give you some ideas. We always use them to research any charity we are interested in supporting. This link lists charities they recommend specifically for Harvey relief.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=5239

I personally like Americares for their response to natural disasters like Harvey.

Last edited:
Charity Navigator, for sure. I personally tend to look at the Salvation Army over ARC for the national level but that has just been from my observations with some disasters I have personally seen over the years (particularly a couple of months afterwards).

The red cross and you can designate your contribution for Harvey victims.

We have been very impressed with Direct Relief (on the Charity Navigator list) after hearing about it from a friend. One nice thing is that they do not send out fancy mailings or persistent e-mails - we get an e-mail update every few months at most. They did send out a note about Harvey this week. I was impressed that they had deployed a dozen Hurricane Preparedness packages at clinics in southeast Texas back in June (I'm sure they do the same in other hurricane hotspots).

I was in Walmart the other day. They are collecting for the ARC for Harvey relief. They are matching your contribution 2 to 1.

FN

JJ Watt, Houston Texans Defensive End, started a Hurricane Harvey relief fund. He pledged that 100% of funds raised would go directly to Harvey victims. I believe him. He has raised over $15 million so far.

I have the same concerns, after hearing about donations not getting to people after a disaster. I have given to Samaritans Purse and Red Cross so far. JJ Watt is next on my list (and recommended by friends in the area), along with an animal rescue organization. What is ARC?

I have the same concerns, after hearing about donations not getting to people after a disaster. I have given to Samaritans Purse and Red Cross so far. JJ Watt is next on my list (and recommended by friends in the area), along with an animal rescue organization. What is ARC?

I have surmised that ARC is probably meant to be 'american red cross'. I donate quite often to ARC thrift stores for the disabled, and was initially quite confused by the disparaging comments about ARC.

However, I agree that American red cross got a big black eye with its Haiti contributions and I would myself not contribute to them at this time.

You might check out Texas Baptist Men. You won't see them advertising for donations but they are always among the first to show up with boots on the ground, hot meals with a portable kitchen feeding refugees, chainsaws, and other things of need.

One link: http://texasbaptistmen.org/Ministries/Disaster-Relief

http://texasbaptistmen.org/Give-Now

You can trust this organization if you choose to donate or join them to help out. When I retire I hope to be able to join this organization and be a part of the quick disaster relief team.

ARC is American Red Cross. I admit that I have personal bias against them, but remember that they are a business as are most charities. The Wounded Warrior sales meetings are not uncommon in non-profit businesses.

I'm not saying ARC doesn't do any good, I just prefer to make my donations to other organizations.

Back
Top Bottom