Join Early Retirement Today

Hurricane Harvey Charities
Old 08-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hurricane Harvey Charities

NOT being political here. I want to donate, but frankly don't trust some well-known charities to truly use my money for hurricane relief. Does anyone know of a reputable charity where I can feel that 100% of my money is going to be used for Harvey relief?

mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
NOT being political here. I want to donate, but frankly don't trust some well-known charities to truly use my money for hurricane relief. Does anyone know of a reputable charity where I can feel that 100% of my money is going to be used for Harvey relief?
The Houston Food Bank. Supposedly 100% goes to people in need.

http://thereformedbroker.com/2017/08...medium=twitter

bmcgonig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Many Texans seem to be upset that Gov. Abbott posted links to ARC the other day. Several are recommending Samaritan's Purse instead. https://www.samaritanspurse.org/
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

100% is a pretty high bar. My wife is a treasurer of a charity. Somehow they have to pay for web site and tax returns. Sure, one can always say someone else pays for that, but money is fungible.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
100% is a pretty high bar. My wife is a treasurer of a charity. Somehow they have to pay for web site and tax returns. Sure, one can always say someone else pays for that, but money is fungible.
Thanks for the replies. I sent donation to Houston Food Bank. Just fir clarification, I meant "100 %" as for hurricane affected areas. I realize all charities have organizational expenses.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

I just saw that the mayor has asked the Greater Houston Community Foundation to manage a relief fund. Community foundations are generally very well run with extremely low overhead so this is an option for those who want help to go to Houston.

https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/

Of course, Rockport, Victoria, and many more towns further south require major aid, and it looks like much of Louisiana will be in need soon.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

There are so many good charities to help the people of Houston/Texas.

We donated to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Houston Food Bank, and Austin Pets Alive (They've already taken in 230 pets from the Houston area).
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

Im sure these mentioned charities are all good, I know many bogus charities spring up after a disaster. The corrupt and contemptible love these opportunities to line their own pockets.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Administrator

Charity Navigator may give you some ideas. We always use them to research any charity we are interested in supporting. This link lists charities they recommend specifically for Harvey relief.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...view&cpid=5239

I personally like Americares for their response to natural disasters like Harvey.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Operation BBQ Relief

https://operationbbqrelief.org/
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #11

Charity Navigator, for sure. I personally tend to look at the Salvation Army over ARC for the national level but that has just been from my observations with some disasters I have personally seen over the years (particularly a couple of months afterwards).
Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

The red cross and you can designate your contribution for Harvey victims.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #13

We have been very impressed with Direct Relief (on the Charity Navigator list) after hearing about it from a friend. One nice thing is that they do not send out fancy mailings or persistent e-mails - we get an e-mail update every few months at most. They did send out a note about Harvey this week. I was impressed that they had deployed a dozen Hurricane Preparedness packages at clinics in southeast Texas back in June (I'm sure they do the same in other hurricane hotspots).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was in Walmart the other day. They are collecting for the ARC for Harvey relief. They are matching your contribution 2 to 1.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #15

Yes, the Houston Food Bank sounds right.

Harvey Disaster Relief
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

JJ Watt, Houston Texans Defensive End, started a Hurricane Harvey relief fund. He pledged that 100% of funds raised would go directly to Harvey victims. I believe him. He has raised over $15 million so far.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the same concerns, after hearing about donations not getting to people after a disaster. I have given to Samaritans Purse and Red Cross so far. JJ Watt is next on my list (and recommended by friends in the area), along with an animal rescue organization. What is ARC?
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
I have the same concerns, after hearing about donations not getting to people after a disaster. I have given to Samaritans Purse and Red Cross so far. JJ Watt is next on my list (and recommended by friends in the area), along with an animal rescue organization. What is ARC?
I have surmised that ARC is probably meant to be 'american red cross'. I donate quite often to ARC thrift stores for the disabled, and was initially quite confused by the disparaging comments about ARC.

However, I agree that American red cross got a big black eye with its Haiti contributions and I would myself not contribute to them at this time.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #19

Here is another site to check on charities http://www.guidestar.org/Home.aspx/

and more about the American Red Cross issues https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.076b8c30284a
Old 09-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

You might check out Texas Baptist Men. You won't see them advertising for donations but they are always among the first to show up with boots on the ground, hot meals with a portable kitchen feeding refugees, chainsaws, and other things of need.

One link: http://texasbaptistmen.org/Ministries/Disaster-Relief

http://texasbaptistmen.org/Give-Now

You can trust this organization if you choose to donate or join them to help out. When I retire I hope to be able to join this organization and be a part of the quick disaster relief team.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/25/10
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote