Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

T-Dave checkin in. We are soundside in Kill Devil Hills (Outer Banks) on the water. Pretty much ground zero. Came through great considering what happened. We're 8' up and pilings. Flooded about 2 1/2 ft on the ground level (so about 3 ft over the bulkheads you see in the pics) but it's just storage. Lost a ground level beer/bait fridge and one window pane, otherwise house in perfect shape. Moved cars and water toys to higher ground. Even the dock and jet ski float made it through unscathed. Some of my neighbors didn't fare quite as well. Docks getting beat up. one Neighbors boat drifted off lift and ended up in a back yard 300 yards down the canal.

Spent the storm oceanfront at the Hilton Inn in Kitty Hawk and glad we did. Lots of serious soundside damage here but very few injuries. My neighbors who stayed spent Saturday night without power, unsure how high the water would rise under their homes, and winds gusting over 90 mph making for a nice house shake. (I will say that a few people here were a bit cocky about riding out storms until this one).

The storm did not deter us from wanting to be here at all. Call it a waterman mentality, though we have gotten some new ground level de-clutter religion. DD is already back at school today. Hatteras below Oregon Inlet has bigger issues.

That picnic bench you see on my dock (first pic) floated down from the soundfront park about 800 yards away. We might have dinner there one night before I let them know about fetchin it back Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.JPG (174.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.JPG (164.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0061.JPG (192.3 KB, 10 views)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
When I drove to the office early this morning, here in Connecticut where a substantial portion of the state is still without power, I saw a group of utility company trucks parked in the movie theater lot in my town. They looked like they were all getting ready to go out and work on the downed lines (which are everywhere).

As I looked more carefully, I saw that they were trucks from Kansas City Power & Light, who had just driven out here since Sunday. I would like to thank them, and all the good people of Missouri, for coming to our assistance when we really need it.
That brought back many memories of Hugo. We had utility companies from out West (way out west) that came to our aid in the weeks after the storm. It was absolutely wonderful and we thanked them in the coin of the realm, which was usually a cold soda (ice was at a premium).

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

TargaDave, glad to hear you came through Irene with relatively little damage.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just checking over this thread to see how y'all made out from the storm. Looks like some folks were directly in the path but most came away unharmed but with some damage.

W2R, have you got your waders ready? Sounds like you're in for some serious rain. Good luck to all of you in the path of that tropical storm Lee.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Just checking over this thread to see how y'all made out from the storm. Looks like some folks were directly in the path but most came away unharmed but with some damage.

W2R, have you got your waders ready? Sounds like you're in for some serious rain. Good luck to all of you in the path of that tropical storm Lee.
That's for sure! Sounds like we're going to get a lot of water. And thanks for the good luck wishes, which are always appreciated.

Just now I was getting gas for my car, and was surprised at the wind gusts blowing my rain jacket around while I was pumping gas. The energetic gusts reminded me of what it's like when a regular tropical storm begins to kick up. This one is supposed to be mainly a rain event and it isn't even here yet, so I was surprised.

The drizzle has turned into moderate rainfall, nothing torrential yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Sarah, check out "Roar of the Heavens" by Bechtel. It covers Camille in both the gulf landing, and also the lesser known but even more lethal (in death toll) flooding and landslides days later in Nelson County, VA (my home).
RunningBum....I just finished this book. Very sobering. Thank you for posting this suggestion. After finishing...I have rethought my desire to have water front property...on any coast.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote